Gonzaga and Brigham Young considering MWC?

8 hours ago, southsideguy said:

wow surprised on BYU, they left the MWC to become an independent.  However it did not work out well for them. most of the schools are from the WAC and BYU was part of that.

Yeah, not sure anybody not named Notre Dame can really make it as an independent anymore.  It's rough seas out there. 

BYU had a little bit of an issue with the MWC in refusing to play on Sunday.  Doesn't affect football or basketball, but it does other sports.  It threw a pretty good sized wrench into baseball for sure. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Without looking it up, aren't they in a conference for sports other than football?  Army football is Army football.  They're kind of an outlier in all this.  I don't think BYU is. 

Good question....I’m not sure either. I know in the past they were affiliated with C-USA. 

42 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Without looking it up, aren't they in a conference for sports other than football?  Army football is Army football.  They're kind of an outlier in all this.  I don't think BYU is. 

Notre Dame is in the ACC for all sports but football, and they have a deal with the ACC to play a certain number of ACC teams in football every year. 

Edited by forevereagle
  • Upvote 1

If there is school that can match Notre Dame in finances it is BYU. They have more money than Moroni . They want for nothing facility wise. They mention a need and the fund raisers pounce. Very much like A&M.

BYU's biggest hurdle to being in a conference in the no sports on Sundays. That hits pretty much all sports except football.  Even the football team does not meet on Sundays.  

2 hours ago, DT 90 said:

If there is school that can match Notre Dame in finances it is BYU. They have more money than Moroni . They want for nothing facility wise. They mention a need and the fund raisers pounce. Very much like A&M.

BYU's biggest hurdle to being in a conference in the no sports on Sundays. That hits pretty much all sports except football.  Even the football team does not meet on Sundays.  

BYU's biggest obstacle isn't playing on Sundays--any conference can accommodate this very easily. Its the fact that the Pac-12 won't take them because of their religious ideology, while the Big XII won't take them because they don't want to split the money they have before it blows up by 2025 when its GOR expires and UT, OU, KU, and anyone else who can find a spot on the P4 ships leave.

BYU is smart to stay independent in football and with the WCC in other sports. If they do have a big winning season in football, because they aren't officially G5, but as an independent and with solid name recognition, they can get included in a playoff. I suspect that there are others out there like Baylor and TCU that just might try and do the same thing in the future.