UNT’s online enrollment has increased by almost 17 percent

I am baffled at how UNT seemed to be growing fast (very fast) in the early 2000's and since then has been stuck at the same capacity. Is this the size UNT wants to be? Is this the high bar for all time?

Other schools in the area like UT Dallas and UT Arlington have been exploding in students since then. 

• Lovely Take 1

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I am baffled at how UNT seemed to be growing fast (very fast) in the early 2000's and since then has been stuck at the same capacity. Is this the size UNT wants to be? Is this the high bar for all time?

Other schools in the area like UT Dallas and UT Arlington have been exploding in students since then. 

I think that we have been increasing our admission standards.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

UNT raised both admissions standards and pricing in the past few years while many schools have not. UTA has been subsidizing their growth with more aid and significantly lower in state tuition.  I think UNT's strategy will win long term. Since UNT has (in my opinion) a more desirable college town and atmosphere if they ever really want to crank up admissions numbers they can just get closer to UTA's pricing and then grab all of the students they want.

• Lovely Take 1

Big push for enrollment that does not take space on the UNT campus itself.  On-Line and the Frisco Campus are but two examples.  UNT is running out of capacity for additional on-campus students and will see a slowing in additional numbers as that capacity gets closer and closer.  New dorm going up and new parking facilities in the planning stages, and yes, property is being purchased for future construction.  But, it isn't enough.  Space is also dearly needed for programs and classrooms, labs, etc., so all the new construction will not necessarily add to on campus enrollment capacity. Thus, the need for off-campus facilities (Frisco) and increases in on-line enrollment.  Got to keep those enrollment dollars increasing somehow.  

The good news is that UNT is fast becoming a destination University.  Already is for several of its programs.  The goal is to add many more programs to that list...including athletics of course. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1