DRC: UNT special teams outlook for 2018

Brett Vito

31 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I hate to use the name that rhymes with Drelan... but we may have something special with Darden returning kicks.   Took one to the house at Rice last year.  I anticipate at least double that this year.

Evan Johnson had some solid kick returns as well. We're in good hands with those two 

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Evan Johnson had some solid kick returns as well. We're in good hands with those two 

Question is how much time do they get back there?

Johnson will likely play an increased role on offense with Wilson leaving.. and Darden should be another year better, but he will have to contend with Brewer and Lawerence now.

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Question is how much time do they get back there?

Johnson will likely play an increased role on offense with Wilson leaving.. and Darden should be another year better, but he will have to contend with Brewer and Lawerence now.

Easy answer, all the reps.  They're your best return guys. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Easy answer, all the reps.  They're your best return guys. 

True and we saw the return game improve big time when Darden and Johnson took over for Jenkins and the crew, but I don’t want to risk 2 of the more explosive guys on this offense to injury.

I would much rather see someone like Wyche, Hair-Griffin, etc on KR/PR if they can hold their own. Allowing Johnson and Darden to focus primarily on offense allowing this offense to hopefully go even faster.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

True and we saw the return game improve big time when Darden and Johnson took over for Jenkins and the crew, but I don’t want to risk 2 of the more explosive guys on this offense to injury.

I would much rather see someone like Wyche, Hair-Griffin, etc on KR/PR if they can hold their own. Allowing Johnson and Darden to focus primarily on offense allowing this offense to hopefully go even faster.

Not to throw Brelans name out there but Brelan.

You can be productive on offense and make a huge difference in the return game. Is it a risk? Sure. Then again, isn't every play a risk?

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Darden should be another year better, but he will have to contend with Brewer and Lawerence now.

Didn't he play opposite Lawrence last year?  Why would he have to contend with him?

• Lovely Take 1

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Back to special teams, I hope we get rid of the rugby style punt.  I never understood the fascination with it, why it was ever introduced, etc...

Because it allows the punt coverage team an extra second or two to get downfield, thus reducing return yardage.  Eric Keena was great at it.

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Because it allows the punt coverage team an extra second or two to get downfield, thus reducing return yardage.  Eric Keena was great at it.

It also increases the chances of getting the punt block.

8 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't think so.  The punter is deliberately rolling away from the pressure instead of letting the pressure blow straight at him.  If anything, I would say there are less punt blocks with the rugby style.

Yep, it also allows for teams to get the Punter the ability to kick to 1 side of the field better since they are rolling away and we saw with Keena him roll out and keep it and get a 1st down vs Marshall I believe 

15 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Didn't he play opposite Lawrence last year?  Why would he have to contend with him?

Both played in the slot, with Smith and Chumley playing in the slot as well. I would assume with Wilson gone, and the leaky OL play we have seen it will lead to smith/Chumley staying in to block.  LAwrrence, Darden, Brewer/TEs will be getting a large chunk of the slot Reps.