FOX SPORTS SOUTHWEST AND RANGERS CONTINUE UNIVERSITY DAYS PARTNERSHIP FOR FIFTH SEASON

Skipper

Seven Universities in FOX Sports Southwest’s Coverage Territory Will Participate

Arlington, Texas—For the fifth season the Texas Rangers and FOX Sports Southwest are partnering to bring Texas Rangers University Days back to Globe Life Park in Arlington.

The discounted ticket promotion gives selected universities in FSSW’s coverage territory the opportunity for fans, students and alumni to attend a special themed “game day” at a Rangers game, designated and promoted by the Rangers and FOX Sports Southwest.

Baylor, University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, Texas and UT-Arlington will participate in 2018, with the first University Day set for TCU, May 3 against Boston.

Starting this Thursday, March 1, fans can buy pre-sale tickets at texasrangers.com/udays. All fans who purchase tickets before March 31 will receive a voucher that will guarantee the buyer a hat. All tickets purchased after 3/31 will receive the hats on a first come, first-served basis on the designated University Day date.

“We look forward to another successful University Days campaign and providing Rangers fans the opportunity to celebrate their school spirit for the fifth consecutive season,” said FOX Sports Southwest Senior Vice President/General Manager Steve Simpson.

The promotion includes reduced ticket prices, a limited edition Texas Rangers cap in the school’s colors and featuring the school’s logo for fans that purchase the special tickets (limited quantities available), on-field pregame participation by the school’s coaches, players or noted alumni, and recognition of the university on FOX Sports Southwest’s live broadcast.

Universities will also be able to use the FOX Sports Southwest Rangers Fan Express VIP luxury bus as part of the designated University Day at Globe Life Park.

“We are proud to be partnering with our great television rightsholder Fox Sports Southwest on this effort, and we look forward to hosting the schools at Globe Life Park in Arlington this season,” said Rangers Executive Vice President for Communications John Blake.

Fans must have a specially marked ticket to be eligible. Tickets must be purchased through www.texasrangers.com/udays to be eligible for the caps.

2018 Texas Rangers University Days Schedule

·       TCU: May 3 vs. Boston

·       Texas Tech: May 22 vs. New York Yankees

·       Baylor: June 8 vs. Houston

·       Oklahoma: June 29 vs. Chicago White Sox

·       Texas:  June 30 vs. Chicago White Sox

·       Oklahoma State: July 21 vs. Cleveland

·       UT-Arlington: September 18 vs. Tampa Bay

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

You have to give them credit for all their hot free agency signings of players that were good five years ago.

I feel like they sat in a room with a list of free agents and asked who from the list they think would be cheap that fans would recognize their names. Now we have Colon and Lincecum. So excited for this season.

omgcw.gif

• Haha 2

Isn't the Ranger's VP of marketing on Wren's athletic advisory council or whatever the formal name is? Also, FSSW runs these promotions and the Rangers just allow it, so I believe our beef is with them* (or maybe ourselves for declining.) I also think they often add days throughout the season - I remember a DBU day popping up late last year. 

*Every single Rangers organization criticism in this thread is pretty valid, though. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Well with the schools that are so honored, it couldn't be based on prior participation.  I really would not think that the Rangers rather have a TWU day than NT.   I wonder if NT just didn't want to participate or just didn't respond to an invitation.  

Based on what I read in the past about why UT was not included in the first few years of this promotion, I'm guessing this is a UNT decision. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, untcampbell said:

It wasn't UNT's decision? 

GMG

It was UNT decision. People have tweeted in the past about how is it that the Dallas Stars could not have a UNT night, and the response was along the lines of UNT never contacted us or never got back to us.. The teams love these things because it’s easy and cheap to get a hat, etc made when fans are buying a ticket for $20

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

It was UNT decision. People have tweeted in the past about how is it that the Dallas Stars could not have a UNT night, and the response was along the lines of UNT never contacted us or never got back to us.. The teams love these things because it’s easy and cheap to get a hat, etc made when fans are buying a ticket for $20

The Stars did have a few UNT nights. No one came. 

• Lovely Take 1

Anyone else think this has something to do with our new marketing agreement with Learfield?  

Let's be honest...how much good does this sort of thing do UNT? You get a green hat with the Texas Rangers logo. Outside of the folks who attended and a few "interested" fans, who recognizes that hat as a UNT hat?  Marketing dollars must be spent where they will do the most good.  Perhaps helping the Rangers fill seats and sell tickets is not exactly on UNT's radar these days.  I don't have a clue...on the other hand...don't care if there is a UNT Rangers night or not. Never much did anything for me.  Now, and FC Dallas UNT night??? Now you are talking.  Ha!

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Anyone else think this has something to do with our new marketing agreement with Learfield?  

Let's be honest...how much good does this sort of thing do UNT? You get a green hat with the Texas Rangers logo. Outside of the folks who attended and a few "interested" fans, who recognizes that hat as a UNT hat?  Marketing dollars must be spent where they will do the most good.  Perhaps helping the Rangers fill seats and sell tickets is not exactly on UNT's radar these days.  I don't have a clue...on the other hand...don't care if there is a UNT Rangers night or not. Never much did anything for me.  Now, and FC Dallas UNT night??? Now you are talking.  Ha!

I am confused what are NT obligations to have a NT Ranger game.   Other than putting up a story on the NT official athletic site, which basically costs nothing, what marketing costs are involved?  I do remember an interview with Littrell broadcast at one of the games, so there is some benefit.   

I am with you, I don't care; but it seems strange that NT is not included. 

• Upvote 2

My recall is the school funds the hats. And the Rangers discount a ticket to get the hat. We are usually in the top 2 or 3 schools in numbers that show up for this game each year, so I don't think the Rangers would choose to turn away business in the kind of season they are likely to have this year.

Predicting we will have a huge UNT Dallas promotion at DBU, a TCOM/UNTHSC promotion at a Fort Worth Cats game and a UNT Frisco promotion at a Roughriders game. For us UNT Denton fans, let's go see a softball game.

GMG

• Upvote 2