DRC: First day of spring practice news, notes

Brett Vito

3 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

Indoor practice facility will be great but - as Vito makes mention of - this week's weather should help in evaluating the kicker situation to see if we can be confident with what we have heading into fall camp.

I was able to make it today & paid close attention to the 3 guys kicking. 

Hedlund was hitting the ball well.  The others.... weren’t.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Some additional observations:

1.  Fine was razor sharp.   Hitting all his throws.  Touch-fade routes, fly routes, cross routes, whatever...  nailing his receivers every time.  He and Shanbour were having fun out there.  Jumping/running around, headbutting guys, yelling... just clowning when they weren't on the ball.
2.  As stated above, 3 kickers were out there.  I know when it's 33 degrees outside, it's like kicking a football-shaped rock, but that was not bothering Hedlund nearly as much as it was bothering the other 2 dudes.  He was even wearing #30.  I had to double-check the roster to make sure Moore wasn't still out there.   Williams was struggling.
3.  DL was really working out there.  1st team appeared to be: Hambone/Tauaalo/Young.  Young was playing 3 or 4 technique all practice.  No reps at the nose from what I saw.  It looks like they want to keep him out there this season instead of him playing the nose.  Dayton LeBlanc looks the part, but he was huffing/puffing pretty bad out there.   To be expected I suppose for a dude who should be getting ready for his Sr Prom.  Strength/Nutrition programs will get him ready to go.  He could be a contributor this year like Novil/Krasniqi were last year.
4.  1st team OL appeared to be: Murray/Woodworth/SMose/MMose/Mayfield (just as yours-truly predicted!).  We'll see if that line sticks.  Coach Littrell brought up moving guys around... said Woodworth may even be moved to RT if Mayfield doesn't get his extra year of eligibility.  Sounds like he wanted Preston at Guard to take Henson's spot.   Barr was out there, but as far as I could see, he wasnt even getting reps with the 2nd team.
5.  WR's...   oh man!!  All of them looked VERY good.  Didn't matter who was throwing to them.  Good to see White back out there again.  I think he'll be a nice contributor.  He and the 2 incoming freshmen will be duelling for Smiley's reps.   Got to chat with Rico Bussey's dad.  Great dude.   Kelvin Smith looked good.  Chumley was out there, but not participating... injured?
6.  Didn't watch the DBs or LBs as much as I wanted, but watching Brooks man-to-man on Guyton made for some great entertainment.  Both guys going hard.  Both making nice plays.  It was hard for Guyton to get separation from Brooks.
7.  The RBs looked good.  I forgot Torrey was already on campus, so I didn't get many looks at him.  He was out there though, but he must not have wow'd me or I would have had to look up his #.  Surprisingly, I thought Wyche looked good!  Nic Smith picking up right where he left off.   

I got to chat with Coach Choice a little afterward.  Infectious guy.  So glad he's on the staff.  Having these young guys with fairly-recent NFL experience on staff is HUGE for us in the recruiting game.  Was very excited about Garrison Johnson visiting.  He was almost drooling over the guy's size.

:You win the internet for today.

As for the part in bold above, was he struggling or was he: 

Image result for Joe Namath struggling meme

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

1.  Fine was razor sharp.   Hitting all his throws.  Touch-fade routes, fly routes, cross routes, whatever...  nailing his receivers every time.  He and Shanbour were having fun out there.  Jumping/running around, headbutting guys, yelling... just clowning when they weren't on the ball.

Anything about that big wrist brace look concerning? I'm assuming not if he was hitting everything, but you never know.

14 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Anything about that big wrist brace look concerning? I'm assuming not if he was hitting everything, but you never know.

I was up in the club level with everyone else.  I didn't go down onto the field level.   It looked to me like just long sleeves, but if it was actually a brace of some kind, it certainly did not appear to be bothering him.

17 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

2.  As stated above, 3 kickers were out there.  I know when it's 33 degrees outside, it's like kicking a football-shaped rock, but that was not bothering Hedlund nearly as much as it was bothering the other 2 dudes.  He was even wearing #30.  I had to double-check the roster to make sure Moore wasn't still out there.   Williams was struggling.
3.  DL was really working out there.  1st team appeared to be: Hambone/Tauaalo/Young.  Young was playing 3 or 4 technique all practice.  No reps at the nose from what I saw.  It looks like they want to keep him out there this season instead of him playing the nose.  Dayton LeBlanc looks the part, but he was huffing/puffing pretty bad out there.   To be expected I suppose for a dude who should be getting ready for his Sr Prom.  Strength/Nutrition programs will get him ready to go.  He could be a contributor this year like Novil/Krasniqi were last year.
4.  1st team OL appeared to be: Murray/Woodworth/SMose/MMose/Mayfield (just as yours-truly predicted!).  We'll see if that line sticks.  Coach Littrell brought up moving guys around... said Woodworth may even be moved to RT if Mayfield doesn't get his extra year of eligibility.  Sounds like he wanted Preston at Guard to take Henson's spot.   Barr was out there, but as far as I could see, he wasnt even getting reps with the 2nd team.
5.  WR's...   oh man!!  All of them looked VERY good.  Didn't matter who was throwing to them.  Good to see White back out there again.  I think he'll be a nice contributor.  He and the 2 incoming freshmen will be duelling for Smiley's reps.   Got to chat with Rico Bussey's dad.  Great dude.   Kelvin Smith looked good.  Chumley was out there, but not participating... injured?
6.  Didn't watch the DBs or LBs as much as I wanted, but watching Brooks man-to-man on Guyton made for some great entertainment.  Both guys going hard.  Both making nice plays.  It was hard for Guyton to get separation from Brooks.
7.  The RBs looked good.  I forgot Torrey was already on campus, so I didn't get many looks at him.  He was out there though, but he must not have wow'd me or I would have had to look up his #.  Surprisingly, I thought Wyche looked good!  Nic Smith picking up right where he left off.   

I got to chat with Coach Choice a little afterward.  Infectious guy.  So glad he's on the staff.  Having these young guys with fairly-recent NFL experience on staff is HUGE for us in the recruiting game.  Was very excited about Garrison Johnson visiting.  He was almost drooling over the guy's size.

Where was LeBlanc lining up? 

Also, I agree having Choice and his NFL history helps make up for our short comings in the past years.

19 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It looked like he was actually running with the second team on some snaps.  Playing behind Rod Young on the end.

Thanks for the update.

Solid pair of LeBlanc and Shaw for them to grow together on the DL, but with very very worrisome the depth of the DT/NG spot now. 

Also, by chance do you recall where Reynolds was lining up? The DE from Grapevine Faith that committed to Air Force, then left AF to come to UNT just days before camp started? Kind of hoping they stand him up at the Jack, he seemed to have solid size for a Jack and was explosive in HS

Edited by BTG_Fan1

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Thanks for the update.

Solid pair of LeBlanc and Shaw for them to grow together on the DL, but with very very worrisome the depth of the DT/NG spot now. 

Also, by chance do you recall where Reynolds was lining up? The DE from Grapevine Faith that committed to Air Force, then left AF to come to UNT just days before camp started? Kind of hoping they stand him up at the Jack, he seemed to have solid size for a Jack and was explosive in HS

Didn’t stand out to me.  Wasn’t bothered to look him up.   He may have been killing it when I wasn’t watching, but when I was, he wasn’t standing out.

A healthy English + Tauaalo will be a fine pairing at the nose.

Another guy that made me have to stop & watch was the JUCO transfer Sa’afi.  That’s a big, athletic guy.  Hope Yellock can do something with him.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Didn’t stand out to me.  Wasn’t bothered to look him up.   He may have been killing it when I wasn’t watching, but when I was, he wasn’t standing out.

Another guy that made me have to stop & watch was the JUCO transfer Sa’afi.  That’s a big, athletic guy.  Hope Yellock can do something with him.

Sa'afi is a former highly rated LB that outgrew the LB spot. If he still has the quickness that made him such a good prospect out of HS he could bery a very capable DE with his size.  Also an older guy, like Sarge McCoy when he was here.  Very interested to see how he performs.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

While I agree our 1 and 2 is solid.. Englis has never played a college down, and had multiple foot surgeries. Adding a younger DT/NG is a MUST. The DT Brown that went to SMU, was a major hit because he was a 6’3 290+ kid that could move and get out into space. 

11 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

T.J. Taualo and, if necessary, Rod Young.

We need to commit to a spot for Young. Honestly, he is should be DE in this scheme and it will serve him best.