DRC breaking news -- UNT fee vote passes

Brett Vito

21 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

It is true that college football attendance had its first decline in 34 years...but North Texas had record breaking attendance at football games this past season as well. You didn’t mention that because it doesn’t fit your narrative.  

I think it is great that our attendance was record breaking, but it was not do to student turn out.I was just trying to point out that interest in collage football is declining on a national basis, has never had strong support from our students and North Texas, and that such a poor turnout on an issue that effects pocketbooks suprises me. Did I miss anything else in my narrative, other that the New Orleans game played at noon on a Saturday was poorly attended by both UNT supporters and students?

Edited by wardly
left out word
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, wardly said:

I think it is great that our attendance was record breaking, but it was not do to student turn out.I was just trying to point out that interest in collage football is declining on a national basis, has never had strong support from our students and North Texas, and that such a poor turnout on an issue that effects pocketbooks suprises me. Did I miss anything else in my narrative, other that the New Orleans game played at noon on a Saturday was poorly attended by both UNT supporters and students?

It was poorly attended because of the quick turn around, students having exams, students going home for the break and it not being a sexy match up. NO is a complete day drive back and forth plus the game, compared to a few hours like the HoD

• Thanks 1

Just now, wardly said:

So the bottom line is that we don't travel well unless its a short drive in the Metroplex? No wonder Shreveport didn't want us.

Shreveport is much more driveable than NO.  Not to mention that game was 2 weeks after the NO bowl, giving people more time to get ready to go....   And obviously, the opponent would have been quite a draw for Mean Green fans.   
WAY MORE Mean Green fans would have been at the Independence Bowl than NO Bowl.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Assuming my calendar had been clear in December, I most decidedly would have preferred Shreveport over NOLA.  I was capable of going to the NOLA bowl, but short notice, cost, and distance tipped the scales ever so slightly against my going.  I was already taking two other trips that month and incurring cost, so I couldn't justify it.  Shreveport, I could've done a one night stay and been in and out. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Based on the pictures of the game, Southern Miss had about the same amount of fans in Shreveport as UNT did in New Orleans.  Not convinced that UNT would have traveled much better than USM.  Let's face it, most/all of our bowl options have warts.

I am 100% convinced otherwise. UNT fans, students, alum would've came out for that game. 4 hour drive against a name opponent. I did not go to NOLA vs Troy. I had no intention of it. I 100% would've went to Shreveport and I know many others are in this same boat with me. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

57 minutes ago, wardly said:

So the bottom line is that we don't travel well unless its a short drive in the Metroplex? No wonder Shreveport didn't want us.

Completely missed the point.. that was just some of the major reasons students didn’t go. The reasons you are students at the major bowls is because it does have to be so quick to turn around and play, nor during finals week

• Upvote 1

We don't travel well during regular season when everyone has plenty of time to schedule.We don't travel to UTSA,Rice, or La. Tech our closest CUSA rivals.Why anyone would wish us into the MWC with UNM Albuquerque our closest rival is beyond me.Fans of top programs attend games to see their team play, not who they play. I got  off track when I brought up attendance at the N.O. Bowl. My initial post was concerning the lack of student turnout regarding an increase in athletic fee, which I interpret as not caring one way or the other.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, wardly said:

We don't travel well during regular season when everyone has plenty of time to schedule.We don't travel to UTSA,Rice, or La. Tech our closest CUSA rivals.Why anyone would wish us into the MWC with UNM Albuquerque our closest rival is beyond me.Fans of top programs attend games to see their team play, not who they play. I got  off track when I brought up attendance at the N.O. Bowl. My initial post was concerning the lack of student turnout regarding an increase in athletic fee, which I interpret as not caring one way or the other.

I went to all three the last two years and thought we took a good crowd to each.

Rick

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, wardly said:

The reason people wish for us into the MW is better it’s a better conference. You are always wanting to improve and play against better teams. The reason people do not travel to UTSA is because of the terrible experiences some fans have had and because it’s not viewed as a rival such as SMU ontop of the drive. LAT had a good turn out when it was on Stadium, and they bring a solid crowds 2 years ago. Rice I believe we had more UNT fans at their game than they had of their own fans.

Many reasons the students didn’t vote.. 1-Time, 2-They put it off, 3- They didn’t care, and the list goes on.. The AD office did as much as they could from social media, emails, signs on campus, T-shirt stands with Players from the teams talking about the benefits among other things

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I went to all three the last two years and thought we took a good crowd to each.

Rick

Rick, define "good crowd". Hundreds of fans, thousands, or the same 50 or so faithful. We just don't travel well, and the number of students that go to away games can be counted on your hands[plus maybe a foot or two].

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, wardly said:

Rick, define "good crowd". Hundreds of fans, thousands, or the same 50 or so faithful. We just don't travel well, and the number of students that go to away games can be counted on your hands[plus maybe a foot or two].

If we're not going to bring many fans regardless of where and whom we play, why should it be the prime consideration in conference affiliation?

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If we're not going to bring many fans regardless of where and whom we play, why should it be the prime consideration in conference affiliation?

Maybe you are right. Maybe it makes no difference. However, college football at our level is going to be a gate revenue sport where regional rivals may generate more attendance. Who knows, but what we are doing to garner student support doesn't seem to be working.I am sure some one with interest and computer skills can break down our 2017 football attendance into "students" and "other " to see which group we need to grow.

Edited by wardly
left out information
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

When you talk about student voting at NT during my time there, to my knowledge nothing came up for a student vote.  You see, JC Matthews ran a dictatorship.

Higher education in general was worlds apart pre- and post-Matthews.  Based on everything I have read, he was very much a product of the earlier era.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

When you talk about student voting at NT during my time there, to my knowledge nothing came up for a student vote.  You see, JC Matthews ran a dictatorship.

I was there 1961 thru 1966. During that time, my fraternity house [Theta Chi] burned down. The DRC wrote an article about the fire that I felt was inaccurate , so I sent a letter to the editor making what I thought were appropriate corrections. After it was published Dr. Matthews called me into his office and told me that my correspondence to the DRC was at an end. He also didn't allow an athletic alumni association because a coaching friend of his got fired[so the story goes]. As you know,it was just a different world during his tenure.

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2018 at 10:01 AM, Ben Gooding said:

I am 100% convinced otherwise. UNT fans, students, alum would've came out for that game. 4 hour drive against a name opponent. I did not go to NOLA vs Troy. I had no intention of it. I 100% would've went to Shreveport and I know many others are in this same boat with me. 

You've lost me, you call people out for attending/donating then you don't go bc of opponent?? I was there, but witnessed the meltdown, I knew we could hang with them, aside from our miscues,  I also knew their DL was superior to our OL.  I'm just glad you clarified you marginally support UNT athletics. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Lovely Take 3

26 minutes ago, wardly said:

This is what is wrong with marginal programs like UNT. Until our fans attend games to see their team play instead of whom they play we will always be a second banana. Actually I thought Troy was the "name opponent" since they had beaten [no fluke] LSU on the road at the Tigers homecoming and were conference champions.

Name opponent in comparison to who? Florida State? I think there is no need to debunk that and I don't really care who Troy beat. Also, I would've more than likely went to the bowl game even if it were vs Troy had it been in Shreveport. The opponent played a role, but the distance of driving in such a short notice was also pretty relevant. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Name opponent in comparison to who? Florida State? I think there is no need to debunk that and I don't really care who Troy beat. Also, I would've more than likely went to the bowl game even if it were vs Troy had it been in Shreveport. The opponent played a role, but the distance of driving in such a short notice was also pretty relevant. 

I agree on the short notice. We turned down an opportunity to play Colorado State in the New Mexico Bowl at Albuquerque. I believe that game was played a week or so later. Do you think that we would have traveled well to that match up? Not trying to start an argument, just asking.

14 hours ago, wardly said:

I agree on the short notice. We turned down an opportunity to play Colorado State in the New Mexico Bowl at Albuquerque. I believe that game was played a week or so later. Do you think that we would have traveled well to that match up? Not trying to start an argument, just asking.

No, probably not. Proximity plays a big role in travel. Shreveport is ideal. NOLA and ABQ are not. 

• Downvote 1

Guys, we can wish we that we could have gone to Shreveport to play Florida State in the I-Bowl, but the I-Bowl committee wanted USM, not us. I heard it from someone connected to that committee that they wanted USM because they knew, without a doubt, that USM would travel well there. They KNEW that. UNT was less certain in their opinion--not ours, theirs. And don't think for a moment that FSU didn't exert pressure on them to get a better named G5 team that would appeal to them playing there. Not saying that is even right, but it is the world we live in, the P5 powers control the entire thing.

• Lovely Take 2