DRC breaking news -- UNT fee vote passes

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, EagleMBA said:

I read this... https://studentaffairs.unt.edu/sites/default/files/organizations/student-government-association/documents/Spring 2018 Athletic and Student Service Fee Referendum RESULTS.pdf

and agree with Mean Green Matt.  The complainers appear to have dredged up picky stuff and just threw it against the wall in an effort to see if they could get something to stick.

200w.gif

So what is this Libertarian activist's (Kiera Geils) issue with the election again?

19 minutes ago, THOR said:

i doubt it, plus it's an easy influx of cash and the kids get to play in an environment that is amazing...and maybe pull off the upset!

I think you are missing my point. I love that our kids get a chance to go on the road and pull off upsets against historic football programs. I just want our kids to have that same chance at Apogee. Body-bag games seem to earn North Texas between $750K and $1M. This vote adds an extra $3.5M. Do we really need to continue the body-bag game philosophy?

Just now, untjim1995 said:

This is fantastic!! Unbelievable!! I never thought I’d see the day that athletics would get this kind of support!! There is no reason we cannot be the dominant force in CUSA West for a long time!! Very proud of the Mean Green tonight!!

This isn't as large as the initial fee.  Why would you doubt this increase so much when you get to sit in a brand new stadium that wouldn't haven't gotten built without the original and larger fee?

9 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I think you are missing my point. I love that our kids get a chance to go on the road and pull off upsets against historic football programs. I just want our kids to have that same chance at Apogee. Body-bag games seem to earn North Texas between $750K and $1M. This vote adds an extra $3.5M. Do we really need to continue the body-bag game philosophy?

makes total sense sir, but i would rather our kids keep playing those games (1 a year), instead of paying a big school to come here and eating into our cash...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, THOR said:

makes total sense sir, but i would rather our kids keep playing those games (1 a year), instead of paying a big school to come here and eating into our cash...

If we're talking wish lists, I would rather we cancel the body bag game and bring top level G5's like UCF, USF, Boise, Air Force, Navy or Fresno

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow I underestimated the wisdom of the current students. Probably because I so badly lacked wisdom during my time as a student.

North Texas has strength in numbers. This is a great way to capitalize on it. Bravo!

And props to Rudy on an all-too-rare deployment of ‘dolt’. One of my favorites in traffic, right after ‘dullard’.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 1

So, does this reset the counter and allow the fee to be raised by 10% without a re-vote?  

The last published numbers that I saw were from 2016 in USA Today and that showed our revenue then at $33mil+.  Fast forward a couple of years and at these new funds to the equation and we have to be pushing $40mil.  Not too shabby for little ol' North Texas.  $40mil would put us in the same league as several Mountain West teams and is not too far off from the AAC.

We should be seeing an annual report from the Athletic Department soon if memory serves.

Edited by TreeFiddy

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

This isn't as large as the initial fee.  Why would you doubt this increase so much when you get to sit in a brand new stadium that wouldn't haven't gotten built without the original and larger fee?

Because I didn’t believe this one would pass...I didn’t expect the students to add another increase, but I’m sure glad it did.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GTWT said:

Had a larger percentage voted there's a good chance it wouldn't have passed.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  It's pretty much irrelevant to say this, except to the person that wants to point out that a big part of Denton is still #OldDenton.

Follow up thought: When were the previous votes cast? I would be curious what the then-student body was experiencing: a string of losing seasons, or a couple of bowl appearances during their academic careers?

The 6-7% turnout kinda rubs me wrong, even if it's not surprising.  It shows more apathy than anything anti-sports.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1