DRC: UNT wide receivers outlook for 2018

Brett Vito

18 hours ago, THOR said:

you're right, stats don't show that he is a number 1...only 3 games (smu/usm/utsa) over 100 yards (smu game he had 2 catches for 100+ yards after the team was down 20+ points in the second half)....yet 5 games with 1 or fewer catches (not counting rice game he missed)..stats show that he isn't.  never said or implied that he would get 100 catches, ya that won't happen here and doesn't need too.  hell, he had 9 games of 4 or fewer catches.

i hope he is the true number 1 receiver you say he is...i don't see it from stats.  are other #1 receivers having the same output?  the same reasons for not impacting a game in catches and yards?  guyton had 1 catch against iowa...he didn't have success there like wilson did

Do you consider Courtland Sutton a true #1?  Of course you do, he is the #1 WR in the NFL draft.  Yet look at his stats his senior year: http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/3128429/courtland-sutton

Only 1 catch against TCU for zero yards.  Only 1 catch against Memphis.  Arkansas State pretty well shut him down.  Six games might qualify as great performances; the other 7 range from decent to non-factor.  What you demand in a "#1 receiver" is a rainbow-surfing unicorn--we will in all likelihood never have a receiver who gets 100 yards every game

I'm not suggesting that Guyton will ever be to the level of a Courtland Sutton.  But he is already the guy defenses are forced to key on.  He is definitely the QB's first read in single coverage.  Plus, I don't think he was playing the second half of the season at 100% health-wise.  Get him back to 100%, and I like the look of him at #1 receiver as much as anybody I've seen at UNT in a while.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Guyton was a #1 and he will only get better.. he came in and did the job that he needed to do as the #1 and you see that in the improvement in the group across the board by him being a deep threat 

How many big time transfers have we had that do 0 as well. 

So this contradicts your earlier statement. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Do you consider Courtland Sutton a true #1?  Of course you do, he is the #1 WR in the NFL draft.  Yet look at his stats his senior year: http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/3128429/courtland-sutton

Only 1 catch against TCU for zero yards.  Only 1 catch against Memphis.  Arkansas State pretty well shut him down.  Six games might qualify as great performances; the other 7 range from decent to non-factor.  What you demand in a "#1 receiver" is a rainbow-surfing unicorn--we will in all likelihood never have a receiver who gets 100 yards every game

I'm not suggesting that Guyton will ever be to the level of a Courtland Sutton.  But he is already the guy defenses are forced to key on.  He is definitely the QB's first read in single coverage.  Plus, I don't think he was playing the second half of the season at 100% health-wise.  Get him back to 100%, and I like the look of him at #1 receiver as much as anybody I've seen at UNT in a while.

sutton is definitely a number 1...easily....he also only had 4 games of 2 or fewer catches...he made sure that he was the dominant receiver in his games

i hope guyton comes in and just destroys defenses like we want him too, but i just don't see the number 1 argument...not a big deal...north texas' receiver corps makes the most of their situations.

On 2/20/2018 at 9:35 AM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Lawrence was solid but way more looks than Guyton did.. Rico had solid production for a part time Starter.. the question about Rico is can he stay healthy. 

Guyton didn’t find ways to have an impact? Dude was a top 2/3 WR for us playing 2 less games than Lawrence.. Guyton was having coverage rolled to him allowing Lawrence to be open underneath. Guyton also was drawing teams top CBs so yes Recruiting matters.. Wilson going down removed a major threat in running game and allowed for Smith, Johnson, Tucker who are average as a group (and that is being super generous) as pass blockers. If you look Guyton had success when Wilson did. USM, UAB, Iowa then he had success in games we still kept using Wilson like SMU and UTSA. The OL was terrible and allowed to much pressure forcing Fine to check it down instead of him throwing it up for Guyton. 

You may not think Guyton is a #1 because the stats don’t show it. But watching on the field he does a lot of that isn’t noticed, blocking slotting in Rico, Smiley, Rutherford, etc..  The WR group took a major step forward in year 2 compared to Year 1 and this entire offense did as well but it hit multiple snags and GH is still developing as a play caller and Fine as a passer. The idea that Guyton is going to come in put up 100 catch season is not likely, because I don’t recall that ever happening in any offense that SL has coached and because of the supporting cast of WRs. 

You should factor in all the under thrown balls too Rico. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am a big fan of Bussey. I like how he goes about playing the game and kind of silently does his thing.. Guyton is more flashy but Rico seems to be the one taking care of business

Rico definitely not a silent one lol. He's got great yards after catch ability and can break some tackles.

Just need him to win contested balls more often.