UNT Hockey Needs Money to go to Regionals!

dmaxel

Your UNT Ice Hockey club team has won the TCHC, beating the Texas Longhorns in the final game of the tournament to win the conference. They're now raising money to fund their trip to Regionals! I'm sure any help from alums would be greatly appreciated! Even Wren Baker has chipped in (he's listed).

https://www.gofundme.com/help-unt-hockey-get-to-regionals

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2

14 hours ago, breaker110 said:

Club team?

Yes, ice hockey is not sponsored by the athletics department. Instead it's just a student organization ("club") which still competes in the name of the university along with other club teams. There are several other clubs that do the same -- Lacrosse, Quidditch, rugby, men's soccer, baseball, and bicycle racing to name a few. As mentioned above, even UT Austin's ice hockey team is just a club team. Besides the little bit they can get from the university as a student organization, the rest they have to fund themselves.

Edited by dmaxel
Quidditch isn't a sport to some :)

I may just be old but saying that it is a sport just like Quidditch just kills any credibility.  I would have gone with Lacrosse, Rugby, Men's Soccer, Baseball, wrestling, or cycling (all of the above are club sports on the UNT site)

Quidditch is a student organization not a club sport and like Dodgeball, and disk golf both of whom are club sports, just do make me think of legitimate sport...

That being said, these students pay their own way (incliding ice time - $200/hr, equipment - used $200-$300 and uniforms - $100) as well as travel, hotel and meals for away games and tourneys.  If you have the ability please throw them some cash to help with Regionals and budget some cash for next month when they advance and need to travel again.   Give em hell Mean Green and bring home the hardware.

For those that want references as to who is a club sport and quidditch being a student organization, here you go.

http://recsports.unt.edu/sportclubs

https://www.ntdaily.com/quidditch-club-provides-change-of-pace-from-traditional-sports-teams/ - " To expand its presence across the country, U.S. Quidditch does not require players to attend their team’s university. Those rules led North Texas Quidditch to make the switch from a sport club to a student organization in 2014" 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, ipd054 said:

I may just be old but saying that it is a sport just like Quidditch just kills any credibility.  I would have gone with Lacrosse, Rugby, Men's Soccer, Baseball, wrestling, or cycling (all of the above are club sports on the UNT site)

Quidditch is/was a competitive team representing the university (think of chess club then if you don't like calling it a sport). I included it for the sake of diversity -- sorry if you had an issue with it. :) The bottom half of your post was new information to me, so I appreciate that.

In any case, like ipd054 said, there are several (more traditional) club sport teams as well that are student-funded.

I'd like to buy one of those sweet ass hockey sweaters!  I love that uniform!  Went and saw them play a couple games last season at the Dr Pepper Star Center in Farmers Branch.  It's free to go to the games out there and we got to see them beat up on my wife's TCU Horned Frogs.  

Edited by Moobs
  • Lovely Take 2

22 hours ago, dmaxel said:

Yes, ice hockey is not sponsored by the athletics department. Instead it's just a student organization ("club") which still competes in the name of the university along with other club teams. There are several other clubs that do the same -- Lacrosse, Quidditch, rugby, men's soccer, baseball, and bicycle racing to name a few. As mentioned above, even UT Austin's ice hockey team is just a club team. Besides the little bit they can get from the university as a student organization, the rest they have to fund themselves.

Isn't one of the primary ideas of collegiate sports to "bring awareness" to the university? Seems like a good investment if all they need is kUSD 5 to compete at a national level. Good price value for publicity. . . why does the Uni not provide the funds?

15 hours ago, Moobs said:

I'd like to buy one of those sweet ass hockey sweaters!  I love that uniform!  Went and saw them play a couple games last season at the Dr Pepper Star Center in Farmers Branch.  It's free to go to the games out there and we got to see them beat up on my wife's TCU Horned Frogs.  

“UNT Hockey 🏒 “  I would buy a t shirt! GMG 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

that is a great fund raising idea...I would buy a UNT Hockey shirt....

A couple years ago the university blocked one prominent club team from selling merch as a fundraiser because of copyright issues. It really soured me on the Rec and Athletics department. Also, club teams aren't allowed to call themselves "North Texas" anything. Very petty on behalf of the university.  

I think I still have the original ice hockey hat and both the original in line hockey jerseys and ice hockey jersey. 

And don't get me started on Rec Sports.  I hated them when I was getting the in line an ice hockey clubs going. Not to mention the lies they told when the vote for the rec center happened. 

9 hours ago, breaker110 said:

Isn't one of the primary ideas of collegiate sports to "bring awareness" to the university? Seems like a good investment if all they need is kUSD 5 to compete at a national level. Good price value for publicity. . . why does the Uni not provide the funds?

I could be wrong, but as soon as the university provided funds, wouldn't they be dq'ed as a club-level team?

6 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

A couple years ago the university blocked one prominent club team from selling merch as a fundraiser because of copyright issues. It really soured me on the Rec and Athletics department. Also, club teams aren't allowed to call themselves "North Texas" anything. Very petty on behalf of the university.  

15 hours ago, breaker110 said:

I was on a club powerlifting team. Club sports is an awesome thing for students. But club sports are just that a club. I don't know the count now, but a few years ago over 7,000 students participated in club or rec sports. There's simply no way any University could fund them all. The theory behind club sports is that many students were athletes in HS or love a sport they've played all their life. They aren't playing on an intercollegiate team for variety of reasons. Sport isn't offered at their school, they weren't talented enough to make an intercollegiate team. Maybe they had D2 offers but wanted to go to a D1 school but still want to stay active in a sport. It's a club not unlike a non-sports club. Think intramurals but against other colleges with kids usually more devoted to the sport. Pretty much all you need is a group of dedicated students and a faculty member willing to be the adviser. Often there are club teams of sports the University actually has an intercollegiate team in. Students in these kind of clubs and orgs usually have higher grades, etc. There is limited funding you can apply for. But it doesn't go far. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Would be curious as to particulars. University logos are trademarked and everyone pays to use them. But that shouldn't have stopped a fundraiser like this if it was a legitimate vendor printing the merchandise. Maybe couldn't sell on campus because bookstore has those rights? Not sure. "North Texas" thing is perplexing. Maybe to eliminate confusion if there is both an intercollegiate and club team? 

11 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

Would be curious as to particulars. University logos are trademarked and everyone pays to use them. But that shouldn't have stopped a fundraiser like this if it was a legitimate vendor printing the merchandise. Maybe couldn't sell on campus because bookstore has those rights? Not sure. "North Texas" thing is perplexing. Maybe to eliminate confusion if there is both an intercollegiate and club team? 

I'm fuzzy on the particulars, but it really rubbed us all the wrong way and came off as dismissive and short sighted. My problem is that you don't see other universities taking the same stance as UNT. For example, Lacrosse plays in the Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association, which is the de facto collegiate league west of the Mississippi.

The Lone Star Alliance conference has teams from SEC, and Big 12 schools. None of those schools restrict branding and use of their school's name to their club teams. While I understand that UNT can't afford to build a dedicated facility for lacrosse like SMU and UT did, but a little help making merch for fans as a fundraiser, and using the North Texas wordmark doesn't seem like a big deal. I get wanting oversight, but the Rec traditionally just says no to everything and lumps all "rec sports" together. There's a difference between competitive intercollegiate teams that travel and pay out of pocket for everything, and quiddich. Shit, we beat a D3 NCAA team by double digits. 

• Upvote 1