Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
UNTLifer

???!!

Recommended Posts

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll be going to some spring practices and see who's making a serious move to move up the roster.........or even get on the roster.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll be going to some spring practices and see who's making a serious move to move up the roster.........or even get on the roster.

Same here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll be going to some spring practices and see who's making a serious move to move up the roster.........or even get on the roster.

I am a bit worried about moving Siggers to Defense.  That leaves us 3 scholarship RB's by my count.  Siggers will be fine for us on Defense and I like that the staff has acknowledged a big need to fix the defense through this class and moves within the roster but eeesh thats scary. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I am a bit worried about moving Siggers to Defense.  That leaves us 3 scholarship RB's by my count.  Siggers will be fine for us on Defense and I like that the staff has acknowledged a big need to fix the defense through this class and moves within the roster but eeesh thats scary. 

Smith, Torrey, Johnson, Hosley, and I guess Wyche is still here.   
I think we'll be OK, especially if the staff has decided Siggers won't be a RB here... which is perplexing, because I thought he ran the ball well in practice last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I am a bit worried about moving Siggers to Defense.  That leaves us 3 scholarship RB's by my count.  Siggers will be fine for us on Defense and I like that the staff has acknowledged a big need to fix the defense through this class and moves within the roster but eeesh thats scary. 

Siggers is on defense now? What the hell? FWIW He's still listed as a RB on the roster.

Edit: Just read Vito's article. This move is perplexing to say the least. Moving one of your highest rated offensive players to defense? Wow

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I am a bit worried about moving Siggers to Defense.  That leaves us 3 scholarship RB's by my count.  Siggers will be fine for us on Defense and I like that the staff has acknowledged a big need to fix the defense through this class and moves within the roster but eeesh thats scary. 

I think 3 running backs are the bottom of the barrel of adequacy, but still adequate especially given I don't think we will use any of them like a work horse like Jeff Wilson. So it significantly decreases their injury risk. I just don't like moving Siggers moving to defense because I thought he would be a good bowling bowl type player in open space out of the slot. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

24/7 from last year. I believe he was a composite 83 or 84

So, over lunch I decided to do a little research on our most recent recruiting classes.  I only utilized 247sports.com ratings as the basis of my research.  I also included only the players that made it to campus, so players like Johnson and Holston were not included. Here is what I found:

2011: A couple of the highest rated recruits Freddy Warner .8214 and Aaron Bellazin .7667.  Lower rated recruits were Laramie Lee .7000, Andrew Power .7000 and Cyril Lemon .7333

2012: High end were Boone Feldt .8517, David Busby .8274 and D.Q. Johnson .8173.  Lower end near the bottom was Carlos Harris .7333

2013: High were Chad Davis .8271 and Andrew Tucker .8199 with lower being  James Jones .7000 and Turner Smiley .7398

2014: High were Caleb Chumley .8289, Tee Goree .8247 and Willie Ivery .8113 with lower being T.J. Tauaalo .7330, Kishawn McClain .7330 and Jeffrey Wilson .7676

2015: High were Kevin Dillman .8519, Darrien McNair .8503, Bradley .8252 with lower being Alex Woodworth .7481, Kelvin Smith .7631, Rod Young .7649 and Courtney Finney .7633

2016: High were Eric Jenkins .8407, Nic Smith .8278 and Wheeler .8117 with lower being Muhammad .7581, Ejiya .7633 and Fine .7743

2017 High were Guyton .8571, Siggers .8228 with the lower being Evan Johnson .7790, S. Mose .7700 and Kemon Hall no rating

This is why the ratings, IMHO, for 2 and 3 star players aren't accurate.  2012 was a bad class as far as overall production but it looked pretty good on paper.  Feldt never played a down due to injury, I think his brother Cam, who was a 4 star transfer from Arkansas, never played a down because he couldn't crack the two deep, Busby was a bit player and left the program early, Johnson never saw the field, etc... and these were our highest rated players in that class.  

Then we have a lot of players like Laramie Lee, Cyril Lemon, Turner Smiley, James Jones, Kishawn McClain, etc... that were great players for us yet lightly regarded when recruited.  This is why I don't get all up and arms when our class's rating isn't leading the conference, and why I choose to wait and see how the players develop.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

So, over lunch I decided to do a little research on our most recent recruiting classes.  I only utilized 247sports.com ratings as the basis of my research.  I also included only the players that made it to campus, so players like Johnson and Holston were not included. Here is what I found:

2011: A couple of the highest rated recruits Freddy Warner .8214 and Aaron Bellazin .7667.  Lower rated recruits were Laramie Lee .7000, Andrew Power .7000 and Cyril Lemon .7333

2012: High end were Boone Feldt .8517, David Busby .8274 and D.Q. Johnson .8173.  Lower end near the bottom was Carlos Harris .7333

2013: High were Chad Davis .8271 and Andrew Tucker .8199 with lower being  James Jones .7000 and Turner Smiley .7398

2014: High were Caleb Chumley .8289, Tee Goree .8247 and Willie Ivery .8113 with lower being T.J. Tauaalo .7330, Kishawn McClain .7330 and Jeffrey Wilson .7676

2015: High were Kevin Dillman .8519, Darrien McNair .8503, Bradley .8252 with lower being Alex Woodworth .7481, Kelvin Smith .7631, Rod Young .7649 and Courtney Finney .7633

2016: High were Eric Jenkins .8407, Nic Smith .8278 and Wheeler .8117 with lower being Muhammad .7581, Ejiya .7633 and Fine .7743

2017 High were Guyton .8571, Siggers .8228 with the lower being Evan Johnson .7790, S. Mose .7700 and Kemon Hall no rating

This is why the ratings, IMHO, for 2 and 3 star players aren't accurate.  2012 was a bad class as far as overall production but it looked pretty good on paper.  Feldt never played a down due to injury, I think his brother Cam, who was a 4 star transfer from Arkansas, never played a down because he couldn't crack the two deep, Busby was a bit player and left the program early, Johnson never saw the field, etc... and these were our highest rated players in that class.  

Then we have a lot of players like Laramie Lee, Cyril Lemon, Turner Smiley, James Jones, Kishawn McClain, etc... that were great players for us yet lightly regarded when recruited.  This is why I don't get all up and arms when our class's rating isn't leading the conference, and why I choose to wait and see how the players develop.

Man, you are still reaching about this. Who recruits the best 2 and 3 stars in our conference? Who is always a contender in our conference? Are you telling me that you truly believe that it is just a coincidence that the same teams is the answer to both questions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Man, you are still reaching about this. Who recruits the best 2 and 3 stars in our conference? Who is always a contender in our conference? Are you telling me that you truly believe that it is just a coincidence that the same teams is the answer to both questions? 

Nope, not reaching.  Just showing facts that ratings on signing day are not always accurate.  Our classes have improved, per signing day ratings that the majority love to follow, each year of the SL era.  Yes, La Tech has been the bell cow of CUSA for years, but SL and staff are having to recover from years of poor leadership in the program and I realize that change will take some time.  We will get to where we want to be if we keep winning and continue to change the perception and culture of our program.

There are basically two posters that are being overly critical of players that have committed to our program but have yet to set foot on our practice field or play a meaningful down.  I would say they are the ones reaching.  I figured facts would be better than spouting opinion.

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

So, over lunch I decided to do a little research on our most recent recruiting classes.  I only utilized 247sports.com ratings as the basis of my research.  I also included only the players that made it to campus, so players like Johnson and Holston were not included. Here is what I found:

2011: A couple of the highest rated recruits Freddy Warner .8214 and Aaron Bellazin .7667.  Lower rated recruits were Laramie Lee .7000, Andrew Power .7000 and Cyril Lemon .7333

2012: High end were Boone Feldt .8517, David Busby .8274 and D.Q. Johnson .8173.  Lower end near the bottom was Carlos Harris .7333

2013: High were Chad Davis .8271 and Andrew Tucker .8199 with lower being  James Jones .7000 and Turner Smiley .7398

2014: High were Caleb Chumley .8289, Tee Goree .8247 and Willie Ivery .8113 with lower being T.J. Tauaalo .7330, Kishawn McClain .7330 and Jeffrey Wilson .7676

2015: High were Kevin Dillman .8519, Darrien McNair .8503, Bradley .8252 with lower being Alex Woodworth .7481, Kelvin Smith .7631, Rod Young .7649 and Courtney Finney .7633

2016: High were Eric Jenkins .8407, Nic Smith .8278 and Wheeler .8117 with lower being Muhammad .7581, Ejiya .7633 and Fine .7743

2017 High were Guyton .8571, Siggers .8228 with the lower being Evan Johnson .7790, S. Mose .7700 and Kemon Hall no rating

This is why the ratings, IMHO, for 2 and 3 star players aren't accurate.  2012 was a bad class as far as overall production but it looked pretty good on paper.  Feldt never played a down due to injury, I think his brother Cam, who was a 4 star transfer from Arkansas, never played a down because he couldn't crack the two deep, Busby was a bit player and left the program early, Johnson never saw the field, etc... and these were our highest rated players in that class.  

Then we have a lot of players like Laramie Lee, Cyril Lemon, Turner Smiley, James Jones, Kishawn McClain, etc... that were great players for us yet lightly regarded when recruited.  This is why I don't get all up and arms when our class's rating isn't leading the conference, and why I choose to wait and see how the players develop.

This is a testament to why I like to look at the offer sheets instead of the ratings.  IIRC, Lemon & I know Young, had some offers from decent schools.  Ratings from these sites aren’t garbage, but they play second fiddle in my mind to what FBS coaches think of a player.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Nope, not reaching.  Just showing facts that ratings on signing day are not always accurate.

Well, yeah, if that's all you're saying.  But that's not where you usually stop. :p

Edited by greenminer
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.