Humble, Texas (Atascocita HS)

Thomas Preston III

OL

6'4"

Mesa, Arizona (Scottsdale CC)

Derrick Shaw

DT

6'0"

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma (Broken Arrow HS)

Jyaire Shorter

WR

6'2"

Killeen, Texas (Ellison HS)

December 2017 North Texas Signees

Jason Bean

QB

6'3"

Mansfield, Texas (Lake Ridge HS)

Cole Brown

OL

6'4"

Conroe, Texas (Conroe HS)

Keelan Crosby

S

6'1"

Anna, Texas (Anna HS)

Kevyon "KD" Davis

LB

5'11"

Ennis, Texas (Ennis HS)

Jaxon Gibbs

S

5'11"

The Colony, Texas (The Colony HS)

Jordan Hunt

LB

6'2"

Wylie, Texas (Wylie HS)

Dayton LeBlanc

DL

6'1"

Lexington, Kentucky (Frederick Douglass HS)

Kason Martin

QB

6'3"

Manvel, Texas (Manvel HS)

Darrian McMillan

DL

6'2"

Mobile, Alabama (Butler CC)

Larry Nixon III

LB

6'0"

North Richland Hills, Texas (Richland HS)

Austin Ogunmakin

WR

6'3"

Alief, Texas (Hastings HS)

Tuulau Saafi

LB

6'3"

Euless, Texas (Mt. San Antonio College)

DeAndre Torrey

RB

5'7"

Gautier, Mississippi (Gulf Coast JC)

Reggie Williams

S

5'10"

Grand Prairie, Texas (Grand Prairie HS)

• Harry featured and pinned this topic

No surprise, there were no surprise signings.  I think this class represents a significant upgrade and IMO probably the best class since DD's one great class.   Dodge had a good first year class, but it was not very balanced.

No, NT is still not near where they should be in recruiting and their ranking in CUSA shows that. 

The encouraging thing to me though is that Littrell is improving recruiting each year.   There are no recent football coaches that have been able to accomplish that at NT.   DD's one great class was early in his NT career and further recruiting went way down from there, Simon and McCarney started out with questionable recruiting and never got better.  Dodge's classes got steadily worse.   Fry's recruiting was consistently good.  

This class is good inasmuch as it addresses NT's main immediate needs.   The biggest need is linebacker and NT signed 5.  Four safeties seems a bit much, but I think this is more a case of getting the best athletes available.   Ending up with only 2 OL with all those offered is surprising, but the indicated blue shirts and pwo's should ease that need.   I also like the juco rb who I think may win the starting job.  

QB is definitely not a need area, but both signed look promising as does the commitment two years down the road after missionary work.   Hedlund apparently is a walk-on but could be a very important add.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

No surprise, there were no surprise signings.  I think this class represents a significant upgrade and IMO probably the best class since DD's one great class.   Dodge had a good first year class, but it was not very balanced.

No, NT is still not near where they should be in recruiting and their ranking in CUSA shows that. 

The encouraging thing to me though is that Littrell is improving recruiting each year.   There are no recent football coaches that have been able to accomplish that at NT.   DD's one great class was early in his NT career and further recruiting went way down from there, Simon and McCarney started out with questionable recruiting and never got better.  Dodge's classes got steadily worse.   Fry's recruiting was consistently good.  

This class is good inasmuch as it addresses NT's main immediate needs.   The biggest need is linebacker and NT signed 5.  Four safeties seems a bit much, but I think this is more a case of getting the best athletes available.   Ending up with only 2 OL with all those offered is surprising, but the indicated blue shirts and pwo's should ease that need.   I also like the juco rb who I think may win the starting job.  

QB is definitely not a need area, but both signed look promising as does the commitment two years down the road after missionary work.   Hedlund apparently is a walk-on but could be a very important add.  

Improvement or not, this is still questionable recruiting. And I could make a very sound argument that Littrell's first class has been his best, which should be concerning given he had about a month to throw that together and got better results. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Improvement or not, this is still questionable recruiting. And I could make a very sound argument that Littrell's first class has been his best, which should be concerning given he had about a month to throw that together and got better results. 

There is actually no way that you can demonstrate Littrell's first class is better than his last two.   Based on rankings it definitely is not. 

So how can you support that the first class is better?  Only by some apples and oranges comparison using actual play by the first class with what you think the 2018 class will do.   Yes, Littrell's first class got some good players and a great one in Fine.   However, there is no way you can compare by any valid means the 2016 and 2018 NT classes.  

I am not sure what recruiting is not questionable at some level.   UT for example usually is at near the top of recruiting rankings but has struggled on the field in recent years.  Recruiting is about getting the players with the best probability of making good college football players, there are no guarantees at any level.   

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

There is actually no way that you can demonstrate Littrell's first class is better than his last two.   Based on rankings it definitely is not. 

So how can you support that the first class is better?  Only by some apples and oranges comparison using actual play by the first class with what you think the 2018 class will do.   Yes, Littrell's first class got some good players and a great one in Fine.   However, there is no way you can compare by any valid means the 2016 and 2018 NT classes.  

I am not sure what recruiting is not questionable at some level.   UT for example usually is at near the top of recruiting rankings but has struggled on the field in recent years.  Recruiting is about getting the players with the best probability of making good college football players, there are no guarantees at any level.   

Look at the # of impact and plug and play players the first class had.. 

Jenkins, Wheeler, Hambone, Hood, Baukman, Fine, Rico, Henson, Morris, Lawrence... the new likely Starting RB Nic Smith

This class doesn’t seem to have multiple plug in players.. which is a huge disappointment with the needs in the DL/LB group. We lost McClain and have a huge need at Rover and RT/RG.. The most likely is Preston, and either McMillian or Faison, even then we have no idea..

38 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Jenkins, Wheeler, Hambone, Hood, Baukman, Fine, Rico, Henson, Morris, Lawrence... the new likely Starting RB Nic Smith

This class doesn’t seem to have multiple plug in players.. which is a huge disappointment with the needs in the DL/LB group. We lost McClain and have a huge need at Rover and RT/RG.. The most likely is Preston, and either McMillian or Faison, even then we have no idea..

We have no clue what we have until these young men come on campus and start practicing. Smith, for example, was redshirted his freshman year. Plus, look at what was needed when SL's first class was signed and what is needed now. The teams aren't even comparable. 

Also, who are Hood and Morris?

Bussey and Fine have turned out way better than their rankings.  It is easy to look back with two years under our belt and claim they were "plug and play" players, but there was no way of knowing on signing day 2016. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You do realize that it might be a tad easier to come in and play on a team that went 1-11 the year before than one that went 9-5.  

I don't expect to find another Fine in this class, but I think it will be a major upgrade to that first class. 

As far as needs, NT recruited 5 linebackers and 4 safeties; so I think NT addressed LB and rover issues.  Not sure what rover is but NT addressed the nick and jack defensive positions.   Per Littrell having 18 scholarship offensive linemen is enough.  NT added depth to the defensive line.  

This is not a great recruiting class on paper but it is substantially better on paper than Littrell's first two classes.  Having only 19 ships limits the class to some extent.  There will be a lot of good players that come out of this class and hopefully some future stars.   Other than the safety group and oddly QB, this class doesn't have a lot of star quality,  but IMO and most others this class will be the best of Littrell's classes.    

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

We have no clue what we have until these young men come on campus and start practicing. Smith, for example, was redshirted his freshman year. Plus, look at what was needed when SL's first class was signed and what is needed now. The teams aren't even comparable. 

Also, who are Hood and Morris?

Bussey and Fine have turned out way better than their rankings.  It is easy to look back with two years under our belt and claim they were "plug and play" players, but there was no way of knowing on signing day 2016. 

Hood, the Grad Transfer DT from KSU and Alex Morris, the QB.. both came in as plug and play players.. 

They came in and played roles that got this team to a bowl game. 

Fine and Bussy are players who came in and had an impact, even if limited. That is why the 1st class is viewed as the best of the classes so far. They came in and had impacts from the very first game. This current class will struggle to field more that 4 or 5 consist starters for the next couple-few years. 

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

You do realize that it might be a tad easier to come in and play on a team that went 1-11 the year before than one that went 9-5.  

Rice went 1-11 and lost their best commit to a PWO, UTEP is 0-12 how many are committing to them because we just beat them out on the Rice decommit.

Marshall lands multiple SEC WRs, FIU multiple 4* DTs.. but yet it’s difficult to find kids to come to UNT because we went 9-5...?? FAU didn’t have that problem with even less slots and they still beat us lol.

You realize that it maybe easier to pitch a kid on coming in and playing on a 1-11 team, but don’t kids like to win? 

CUSA had a great year recruiting this season...we had an outstanding year by our standards and conference standards of years ago, but today’s class was crumbs compared to others in our conference did today.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Rice went 1-11 and lost their best commit to a PWO, UTEP is 0-12 how many are committing to them because we just beat them out on the Rice decommit.

Marshall lands multiple SEC WRs, FIU multiple 4* DTs.. but yet it’s difficult to find kids to come to UNT because we went 9-5...?? FAU didn’t have that problem with even less slots and they still beat us lol.

You realize that it maybe easier to pitch a kid on coming in and playing on a 1-11 team, but don’t kids like to win? 

CUSA had a great year recruiting this season...we had an outstanding year by our standards and conference standards of years ago, but today’s class was crumbs compared to others in our conference did today.

You seemed to totally miss the point.   The comment was about a recruit's ability to play right away or as you state plug and play.  Are you arguing that it is easier to play on a 9-5 team with 17 starters returning than a 1-11 team?

I also specifically stated in the original comment:  "No, NT is still not near where they should be in recruiting and their ranking in CUSA shows that".   So I am not sure why you are debating a point with me that you apparently agree with.  

As far as FIU having multiple 4* DTs, those were the only two 4*s recruited by total CUSA.  So there are 13 CUSA teams that didn't sign a four star recruit. 

Everyone should know that is interested that NT finished a disappointing 8th in 247 league ratings and 99th in the FBS division.   I don't see anyone bragging about that.   

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Hood, the Grad Transfer DT from KSU and Alex Morris, the QB.. both came in as plug and play players.. 

They came in and played roles that got this team to a bowl game. 

Fine and Bussy are players who came in and had an impact, even if limited. That is why the 1st class is viewed as the best of the classes so far. They came in and had impacts from the very first game. This current class will struggle to field more that 4 or 5 consist starters for the next couple-few years. 

Ahh, forgot about Hood.  I was looking through the recruit list on 247 from that class and he wasn't listed.  

Here's where your argument loses me:

1.  Morris as a "plug and play player."  He started and was yanked in the first game.

2.  Fine and Bussey: You claim because they came in and had a limited impact, that makes their class better than this class, yet none of the players from this class have played in a game yet to see what their impact will be.

3.  This current class will struggle to field more than 4 or 5 starters.  Based on what?  Your opinion?  What is your basis of knowledge?

Edited by UNTLifer

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Ahh, forgot about Hood.  I was looking through the recruit list on 247 from that class and he wasn't listed.  

Here's where your argument loses me:

1.  Morris as a "plug and play player."  He started and was yanked in the first game.

2.  Fine and Bussey: You claim because they came in and had a limited impact, that makes their class better than this class, yet none of the players from this class have played in a game yet to see what their impact will be.

3.  This current class will struggle to field more than 4 or 5 starters.  Based on what?  Your opinion?  What is your basis of knowledge?

Morris started game 1, was shaky and got replaced.. he had more passing yards, TDs in 3 Qtrs than Fine did in something like 3 entire games, nearly 4 entire games.. Morris also had 3 INTs vs SMU, with 2 of the 3 being because of the WRs.. Morris also came in and got us the 5th win to go to the bowl game and nearly beat Army in the HOD.. but SL pulled Morris to quick, because Morris settled down once he got the job and played at the end of the year.

Fine and Bussy were viewed as players who would come in and play.. none of these defensive players have a clear position locked up, nor are they likely to compete for a starting spot. None of the offensive players should play Day1 besides Preston or Torrey. Torrey will have be a rotational back likely, and Preston should be our next Henson.

This class will struggle to find the field year 1 because they are in positions that we have experience, even if it is bad experience.. We have seen this staff stick with players having bad experience with Preston playing the entire year, Brooks getting burned for weeks, and Jenkins getting ate alive in the Bowl game... DB has 1 opening, McClains spot with Brooks/Hall/Muhammad/Davis/Preston returning.. The LBs have 1 opening.. The OL prospect will be RS, The QBs will be RS, the WRs will be RS... 

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/7/2018 at 9:52 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Or is it that we don’t need as many plug in players now? Red shirt and development is the key!

• Harry unpinned this topic