Storylines for C-USA heading into national signing day

Brett Vito

If you take out the blueshirt kids, this class averages a rating of .8011. That’s good for a 3* ranking. That only puts us in 8th for average though, whereas last year that would have been 5th and 2 years ago that would have been 4th. So our recruiting is without a doubt improving, but C-USA as a whole is also improving its recruiting.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

If you take out the blueshirt kids, this class averages a rating of .8011. That’s good for a 3* ranking. That only puts us in 8th for average though, whereas last year that would have been 5th and 2 years ago that would have been 4th. So our recruiting is without a doubt improving, but C-USA as a whole is also improving its recruiting.

Only problem is teams are improving exponentially while we're only improving lineally.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

The same classes lost 5 games of an average score of 49 to 24.8 and had the 110th scoring defense in the country. SoOoO...

SoOoO...I choose to see the glass half full while you have your point of view.

And, the rankings on signing day don't always predict the results a couple of years down the road.  I mean, Jeffery Wilson was a 2 star .7676 ranked recruit now at the NFL Scouting Combine.  Hmmm.  By comparison, Andrew Tucker, who I am a big fan, was a 3 star .8199 rated recruit.

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Only problem is teams are improving exponentially while we're only improving lineally.

100% agreed..

If you had given me this class with # of 3* and average I would have likely taken it and been happy before the season.

Now seeing what other CUSA programs did and some of the MAJOR additions they made, it’s kind of worrisome. 

I love the additions, but don’t see a major plug and play player in this class, or at least yet. Hopefully we can get 1 or 2 late JUCO adds like we have in the past with Hall, or Jenkins. 

You just can't stand still in C-USA anymore.  Every program seems to be on the up swing and it's not only recruiting, it's facilities.  There is an arms race going on in C-USA and we can't rest on our Apogee laurels much longer.  One example of the latest arms race is FAU who already has a nice new stadium to work with and now is building a state of the art athletic complex.

10 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

247 has us #100 overall, 34th in the non P5s, 9th in CUSA, and 9th out of the 12 FBS programs in Texas.

Some will covet these results. The same peeps will covet anything how be it wrong or right or good or bad. It's THE UNT way. 

• Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

You just can't stand still in C-USA anymore.  Every program seems to be on the up swing and it's not only recruiting, it's facilities.  There is an arms race going on in C-USA and we can't rest on our Apogee laurels much longer.  One example of the latest arms race is FAU who already has a nice new stadium to work with and now is building a state of the art athletic complex.

FAU's version of "state of the art" is questionable.    Don't they have an erector set stadium?

In some ways, we have had improvement, moving ahead of UTEP and Rice, as well as Texas State in these recruiting rankings, especially when you consider that the McCarney class of 2014 was the worst in FBS. We are also ranked ahead of ULL, ULM, NMSU, and UNM so, regionally, its gotten better, too.

So I guess we have that going for us...

39 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

In some ways, we have had improvement, moving ahead of UTEP and Rice, as well as Texas State in these recruiting rankings, especially when you consider that the McCarney class of 2014 was the worst in FBS. We are also ranked ahead of ULL, ULM, NMSU, and UNM so, regionally, its gotten better, too.

Baby steps and bowl games...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

While the stadium is nice, and only 1.5 miles from the beach, it is no where near as nice as Apogee. Palm trees make anything better. 

Edited by MeanGreen_MBA
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

While this is well and good, to get to where we all want to be we need to compete  with SMU locally and La. Tech regionally.

• Lovely Take 1

51 minutes ago, wardly said:

While this is well and good, to get to where we all want to be we need to compete  with SMU locally and La. Tech regionally.

We have never been able to compete with either of those schools when it comes to recruiting classes. SMU gets a different kind of recruit than we usually get and La Tech gets a ton of talent from Louisiana and East Texas that isn’t going to a P5.

When we’ve beaten them, it’s almost always been because those schools have fallen backwards. If that can change, then the recruiting situation can change...

9 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

100% agreed..

If you had given me this class with # of 3* and average I would have likely taken it and been happy before the season.

Now seeing what other CUSA programs did and some of the MAJOR additions they made, it’s kind of worrisome. 

I love the additions, but don’t see a major plug and play player in this class, or at least yet. Hopefully we can get 1 or 2 late JUCO adds like we have in the past with Hall, or Jenkins. 

We don't have any more ships.  Also, plugs and play players, as you call them, are not as needed on this team. 

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

We don't have any more ships.  Also, plugs and play players, as you call them, are not as needed on this team. 

Plug and play guys aren’t needed? You must not have watched SMU, Troy, FAUx2, Army (when the defense couldn’t stop anything)...

The OL needs guys.. The RB is far from set, Nic Smith looked good vs Rice but struggled in other games.. 

The defense was terrible this past year and every position should be up for grabs.. 

We need a Plug and play kicker.. Zac Williams we don’t know what we have, the transfer/coaches son kicked vs TCU and never again.. 

Better yet, our 2nd highest recruit from last years class just RSed and spent the year from what we can tell as an RB, now to be changing sides of the ball to the Rover spot after we recruited 5 Safety’s in this years class to go with T. Davis from last years.. We also lost another DL in TonyK, when we have been in need of more depth.. We lost 3 DL, and we pick up 3 or 4 depending on McMillian, meaning depth wasn’t increased. We needed more depth along the DL, and needed to increase the DT depth and it has declined from the looks of it..

We have multiple areas that needed plug and play guys, and every program does.. Our best bet of a Plug and Play is a 2* OL in Preston, 2* McMillian or 3* 225 LB (would be OLB Jack if it’s his spot) in Fiason that won’t be here till Summer, so hopefully he can qualify. Meanwhile, FIU adds 2 4* DTs, LT adds a .85+ P5 decommit WR,  Marshall adds 2 WRs with multiple SEC offers (Bama, Auburn, UF), the list goes on..

Edited by BTG_Fan1