19' OG Offer: Marcus Alexander (Sunnyvale) - 3 star

UNTLifer

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Commits to OU.

This is why I'm not worried bout offer list with guys we eval.  Our staff is on dudes early and they typically end up at big time schools.  Sure I'd love to win some but we've proven we can identify talent. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

This is why I'm not worried bout offer list with guys we eval.  Our staff is on dudes early and they typically end up at big time schools.  Sure I'd love to win some but we've proven we can identify talent. 

Not to go round and round with you for another offseason on recruiting, but I don't care if they can evaluate talent. Our opponents will not care about what kind of talent evaluators they are. At some point, consistency has to be established in recruiting. And under this staff we are consistently 9-11 in CUSA ratings. And this will be class number 4 under this staff. If Seth Littrell wants to move on to greener pastures (And according to Tennessee he does), he needs to step up his recruiting game. Otherwise, he will be our version of Rick Stockstill...Just never quite sexy enough to attract a big contract. 

• Downvote 3

12 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not to go round and round with you for another offseason on recruiting, but I don't care if they can evaluate talent. Our opponents will not care about what kind of talent evaluators they are. At some point, consistency has to be established in recruiting. And under this staff we are consistently 9-11 in CUSA ratings. And this will be class number 4 under this staff. If Seth Littrell wants to move on to greener pastures (And according to Tennessee he does), he needs to step up his recruiting game. Otherwise, he will be our version of Rick Stockstill...Just never quite sexy enough to attract a big contract. 

Sounds good.  

12 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

Ben's making a valid point: It doesn't matter that you can identify talent if you're not bringing that talent it in.

Early on this cycle, though, we seem to be doing better. Still early in the process to say "Hey we're doing awesome!" or to say "See we still suck at this!", but so far so good.

• Upvote 1

I remember a lot of similar comments when Mccarney was here. I'm not going to give any staff a pat on the back for being early on a guy who ends up with multiple P5 offers. If we see a guy who ends up going P5, I sure hope we are good enough at evaluating to recognize that kid is worthy of an offer from a CUSA school. 

That being said, it does seem like this staff is good enough at evaluating players who are more borderline. They're also starting to actually land some solid prospects, which is the most encouraging. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

It makes perfect sense as in who gives a shit what they're evaluating if their top targets keep ghostin on them when it's time for pen to meet paper. 

We didn’t get ‘ghosted’ by several guys in this last class, including dudes who were recruited early & had P5 offers.

I see what you’re saying, & there’s some merit there... but there’s also proof in the pudding, so I’m not gonna panic.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

We didn’t get ‘ghosted’ by several guys in this last class, including dudes who were recruited early & had P5 offers.

I see what you’re saying, & there’s some merit there... but there’s also proof in the pudding, so I’m not gonna panic.

Not panicing at all. Just frustrated that there is seemingly NEVER recruiting momentum in this program. It's always sputtering to the finish line counting on our best guys coming in after their other offers dry up. Now that there is an early signing period these summer months become more important. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not panicing at all. Just frustrated that there is seemingly NEVER recruiting momentum in this program. It's always sputtering to the finish line counting on our best guys coming in after their other offers dry up. Now that there is an early signing period these summer months become more important. 

You are completely delusional if you think a kid that has a legit offer from OU that he will pick UNT over OU.  IDC if the best recruiter in America was here... how many times have you seen a big time kid stay home? I can think of an Ed Oliver once in a blue moon.  It just doesn't happen often.  FIU landed 2 pretty big time kids, no idea who was actively recruiting them or what there story is.  Bottom line is, we haven't proven squat except offensive progress under Littrell and winning more games each season. Our facilities leave ALOT to be desired the only thing the coaches can sell is their relationships and experience.  Be nice when athletic complex is done and we have more selling points than Apogee. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You are completely delusional if you think a kid that has a legit offer from OU that he will pick UNT over OU.  IDC if the best recruiter in America was here... how many times have you seen a big time kid stay home? I can think of an Ed Oliver once in a blue moon.  It just doesn't happen often.  FIU landed 2 pretty big time kids, no idea who was actively recruiting them or what there story is.  Bottom line is, we haven't proven squat except offensive progress under Littrell and winning more games each season. Our facilities leave ALOT to be desired the only thing the coaches can sell is their relationships and experience.  Be nice when athletic complex is done and we have more selling points than Apogee. 

I don't expect a guy to come here with an OU scholarship offer. 

I expect us to not lose 8 or 9 out of every 10 recruits to smu though. I expect, going into class 4, to not be banking on FCS offer guys as our basically only sure things. I expect to childs play Texas State for whoever we want and to be competitive at minimum with La Tech on the recruiting trail. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I don't expect a guy to come here with an OU scholarship offer. 

I expect us to not lose 8 or 9 out of every 10 recruits to smu though. I expect, going into class 4, to not be banking on FCS offer guys as our basically only sure things. I expect to childs play Texas State for whoever we want and to be competitive at minimum with La Tech on the recruiting trail. 

I mean this class so far is doing fairly well.

Garrison Johnson was offered by 4 P5 teams (Virginia, Nebraska, Syracuse, & Indiana) & 3 other G5 programs (UTSA, SMU, & South Alabama). That seems like a pretty good get.

Damon Ward was offered by 4 other G5 programs (ULM, NMSU, Southern Miss, & UTEP).

Both of these guys are rated as 3*, and not just barely 3* but solidly 3* guys. I agree that recruiting could definitely have been better last year, but this class is definitely looking better.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I mean this class so far is doing fairly well.

Garrison Johnson was offered by 4 P5 teams (Virginia, Nebraska, Syracuse, & Indiana) & 3 other G5 programs (UTSA, SMU, & South Alabama). That seems like a pretty good get.

Damon Ward was offered by 4 other G5 programs (ULM, NMSU, Southern Miss, & UTEP).

Both of these guys are rated as 3*, and not just barely 3* but solidly 3* guys. I agree that recruiting could definitely have been better last year, but this class is definitely looking better.

Well that's great. I just started clicking on the top 7 or 8 recruit threads and as usual saw commits to everywhere except us. This staff has to go all in on the defensive line this class. Find your guys that you want and go all out on recruiting that single position group. We need it because we have to have it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Well that's great. I just started clicking on the top 7 or 8 recruit threads and as usual saw commits to everywhere except us. This staff has to go all in on the defensive line this class. Find your guys that you want and go all out on recruiting that single position group. We need it because we have to have it. 

I agree that D-line has to be a priority. A lot of games can be won with a good offense, but even more can be won with good offense and moderate to good defense. With that being said. This class also needs a really good QB (Chase Griffin perhaps) because a DL guy recruited this year is likely 2 years away from playing/starting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

You constantly push the rankings (which I personally don't think are all that valuable) but yet as of this moment we are 2nd in 247 rankings. How can that be no momentum? Have you ever tried antidepressants?

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I agree that D-line has to be a priority. A lot of games can be won with a good offense, but even more can be won with good offense and moderate to good defense. With that being said. This class also needs a really good QB (Chase Griffin perhaps) because a DL guy recruited this year is likely 2 years away from playing/starting.

A highly touted DL can steal snaps day 1 away from that group right now. 

1 minute ago, meangreenJW said:

You constantly push the rankings (which I personally don't think are all that valuable) but yet as of this moment we are 2nd in 247 rankings. How can that be no momentum? Have you ever tried antidepressants?

I've read this story. Slightly different version. I think 1 month out of NSD last class we were 3rd or 4th. Ended 8th or 9th, maybe 10th. 

Last year at this time we didn't have near as highly rated players committed as we do this year.  You clicked on the first few posts in the recruiting thread and found people committed elsewhere because those posts were just updated.  Where were you when our current commits announced their intentions?  Selective posting to suit your tired, sad narrative.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Have you not realized this staff prefers JUCO DL? Typically those guys don't get the ratings and attention as high school guys unless they're sec level guys. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Have you not realized this staff prefers JUCO DL? Typically those guys don't get the ratings and attention as high school guys unless they're sec level guys. 

Yes, that is trendy of this staff. And I don't hate that approach. The only* problem with that approach, and a detrimental one, is that it creates 0 margin for error on getting the guys that you want/need and them having actual success. 

One positive in this regard, this staff has been able to bring in contributing juco/transfer players with way, way, way more success than the McCarney staff. 

*The other problem is the cycle it creates and the minimal amount of development and depth that goes void. It also sets up our successor with an annoying and valid excuse from the jump.