DRC: UNT weekend recruiting primer

Brett Vito

12 minutes ago, SlimSlamSlum said:

Last year 247 had us 11th in C-USA and Rivals had us 95th in the country, four spots ahead of dead last Troy.

Also, Hillary was a shoe in for the presidency and Philly had no chance at the Super bowl after Wentz went down.

And then there is this from the Boston Globe...

Image result for boston globe on belichick hiring

Ya, because UNT has a really long history of being the exception to college football rules, right? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Ya, because UNT has a really long history of being the exception to college football rules, right? 

Well, I did a little research on your favorite team, TCU, who went undefeated and finished ranked #2 in 2010.  Their 05 and 06 recruiting classes that provided the upperclassmen for that team had average player ratings around .80, as did the 07 and 08 classes.

By comparison, our recent classes have been rated around .79.  I think our highest rating was the class including Riley Dodge at around .80 and we all know how that turned out.  The ratings game is all about keeping people interested and it has turned in to  a big money business.  

I know it is not your MO, but how about giving these kids a chance to perform and our coaches to do their jobs?

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Well, I did a little research on your favorite team, TCU, who went undefeated and finished ranked #2 in 2010.  Their 05 and 06 recruiting classes that provided the upperclassmen for that team had average player ratings around .80, as did the 07 and 08 classes.

By comparison, our recent classes have been rated around .79.  I think our highest rating was the class including Riley Dodge at around .80 and we all know how that turned out.  The ratings game is all about keeping people interested and it has turned in to  a big money business.  

I know it is not your MO, but how about giving these kids a chance to perform and our coaches to do their jobs?

Well a .79 is a two star average and an .80 is a three star average, so it not exactly the same. 

I'm am sure what anyone thinks has no bearing on a kids performance or the coaches ability to coach.  

I assume you are implying that ratings don't mean much and you have to wait till everyone in a class's eligibility is up to rate a class.  Unfortunately, NT is a perfect case study to prove that indeed recruit ranking are meaningful.   

Plus no one has a whole lot of interest in rating a class in hindsight.  First no one ranks player careers, so it would be a very difficult exercise.  Second everyone knows how a team has performed so it really not going to get anyone too excited.  

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Another note, Faison is not yet rated but was a 3 star out of HS committed to a Big 10 school.  He will skew us upward.

He may be ranked a three star, but it has nothing to do with what he did in high school.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

So, on average, TCU signed 25 three star recruits on their way to P5 status.

We, on average, sign 25 two star recruits. 

What point are you trying to make exactly? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

Riley was a .87 not a .80

https://247sports.com/player/riley-dodge-56990

Give the coaches a chance, LOL? People wanted Biagi fired after 2/3 games.. Not sure what side you were on but a majority of people wanted him gone.. 

Reff allowed the worst defensive day in the history of the conference and people wanted to keeep him when he was absolutely terrible for a majority of the year when he has been from the start.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Another note, Faison is not yet rated but was a 3 star out of HS committed to a Big 10 school.  He will skew us upward.

He will be downgraded because he is a JUCO and it does not seem like he was a highly sought after JUCO and HS recruit. For example Torrey, he is a .8000 but he has multiple G5 offers, while he only had Memphis and I don’t think 24/7 is even aware of it with not on his profile.

He was not a highly rated 3* with him being a .8000 out of HS, with the cutoff for being a 3* being .7965. 

13 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Riley was a .87 not a .80

Was talking about the class that Rodge was a part of not his individual rating.  

My comment about the coaches was about player development.  They have proven to be strong in the area of talent evaluation.

• Upvote 2

On 2/2/2018 at 4:55 PM, UNT90 said:

So another bottom of the CUSA class... 

At this rate, one of two things will happen with Littrell: He will ride a first team all-Conference QB to a better job by beating teams 56-49 or he will go the way of so many before him.

I always look forward to your insight and analysis.