'19 QB Maverick McIvor (San Angelo)

8 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

And if Dimel doesn't let him it'll again be a pass for Chico? It'll just be because of UTEP? At some point you gotta look at the guy's entire body of work and see what else he's done. Winning the lottery once doesn't mean you have the magic recipe for winning the lottery.

If he's had other mildly successful qbs that you would like to point out I'm all ears. The problem isn't that Rivers is some old dude. It's that at this point he's Chico's only dude.

I’m not arguing any of that.

All I’m saying is that “old dude” he coached has had a very nice (re: lucrative) career in the NFL... which is what HS kids would love/dream to have.

As long as he can trot that name out there, he’ll get a listen... not saying he’s gonna land a 5* or 4* guy, but they’ll at least want to chat with him.

14 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Seth Littrell has recruited 5 better QBs than any 1 Chico ever had here. Facts. 

Again, I’m not arguing that.

Im just saying that when Chico wants to visit with a QB, that QB will hear “Phillip Rivers” & be WAY more interested than they ever would be in UTEP otherwise.  He’ll think, “I can at least listen to what this guy as to say because he put a Pro Bowl QB in the NFL.”

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Again, I’m not arguing that.

Im just saying that when Chico wants to visit with a QB, that QB will hear “Phillip Rivers” & be WAY more interested than they ever would be in UTEP otherwise.  He’ll think, “I can at least listen to what this guy as to say because he put a Pro Bowl QB in the NFL.”

Maybe, and Littrell can say, Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles and #2 overall pick Mitch Trubiaky.

If you're going to point out that some kids might not know who a former All-Pro from 15 years ago is, might as well consider that a lot of our kids don't know how Mean Joe is until the AD introduces him.

Does it make the interaction any less cool? I don't think so and, likewise, I don't think it matters if they don't know who Rivers is.  Chico can tell kids he's coached an all-Pro.  It's impressionable.

Last thought: the more and more I hear about recruiting tactics under DMac's regime, the less I hold against his assistants.

I would like to see this thread get back on topic, which is about the recruit.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Seth Littrell has recruited 5 better QBs than any 1 Chico ever had here. Facts. 

Who has SL coached that is better than Rivers? 

Foles? Lol yea Rivers is better.. Sudfield, is a backup that was cut by the redskins.. Marquez Williams isn’t even in the NFL.. Tubsiky or however it’s spelt has potential but has done 0 so far.. 

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Maybe, and Littrell can say, Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles and #2 overall pick Mitch Trubiaky.

It would be a nice point but Rivers only went 2 picks later (to end up being traded for the #1 pick) he isn’t even a sure bet with the issues in Chicago.. Nearly every Super Bowl MVP is the QB of the winning team, while Foles was nice (and should be a major selling point for SL) he has been bouncing around for years following his 7-TD game the first time around in Philly.

Rivers is better than any QB SL has coached.. but SL has better players than Chico in Gronk vs Rivers

Edited by BTG_Fan1

10 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Who has SL coached that is better than Rivers? 

Foles? Lol yea Rivers is better.. Sudfield, is a backup that was cut by the redskins.. Marquez Williams isn’t even in the NFL.. Tubsiky or however it’s spelt has potential but has done 0 so far.. 

I need to clarify. SL has recruited 5 QBs HERE better than any 1 QB Chico ever recruited HERE. This is still a dumb argument. Nobody is going to UTEP Bc Chico coached Phillip Rivers. It’s a what have you done for me now world. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

I need to clarify. SL has recruited 5 QBs HERE better than any 1 QB Chico ever recruited HERE. This is still a dumb argument. Nobody is going to UTEP Bc Chico coached Phillip Rivers. It’s a what have you done for me now world. 

SL has recruited 7 QBs here.. 2 have played and 1 Has been solid in Fine,  the other was manageable (Morris).. SL has had 3 QB leave the program (O’Hara, Isadore, Cason), another RS (Pearson) and one being on campus 4 weeks now..

You’re comparing a Head Coach to an OC/QB Coach.. SL makes the determination and has the final say, while Chico only had a say and not the final say.. Look at the differences as well in how this offense appeals to players compared to Macs. I would sure hope we can see improvement going from a running team to a passing team with SL/GH here..

But the resume of Chico says SEC QB Coach, and he has brought in one of the highest rated QB recruits in the conference to UTEP. That QB recruit would be the highest rated recruit as well to make it to campus under this staff as well.

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Youre right...Mike Canales is a hot name in the OC world (yawn).  Im not saying he sucks, and appreciate everything he did at UNT, but facts are if he was that great he would have up and left when Danny Mac hamstrung him.   I dont buy that he had no say in who he recruited at QB.  They all sucked and that is a fact.  SEC coach? 1 shitty year at a terrible Tennessee team.  Go ahead and join everyone in reality.  Have you ever heard a recruiting pitch in your life?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

It would be a nice point but Rivers only went 2 picks later (to end up being traded for the #1 pick) he isn’t even a sure bet with the issues in Chicago.. Nearly every Super Bowl MVP is the QB of the winning team, while Foles was nice (and should be a major selling point for SL) he has been bouncing around for years following his 7-TD game the first time around in Philly.

Rivers is better than any QB SL has coached.. but SL has better players than Chico in Gronk vs Rivers

Canales coached Rivers in ‘01 and ‘02 which means he didn’t recruit Rivers and he also didn’t coach Rivers in his best season(the one that got him that 3rd overall draft spot). But I guess he can wow the recruits with that, “I spent a couple seasons with the Chargers quarterback back in college at NC State.” . Never mind the fact that he has been coaching quarterbacks for nearly 25 years and only has Phillip Rivera to hang his hat on. What has he been doing in the 16 years since he last coached Rivers? Because from my understanding I believe he has spent it job hunting because he has been run from one job to the next ever since.  SEC qb coach my rear. He got run out of Utah State because they had their worst season of their current  HC’s tenure the one year Chico was there. He then went to the other UT and helped Butch Jones get fired. Diner will be fired within 4 years and Chico won’t last any longer than that if he makes it that long.

I appreciate Canales’ positive attitude while he was here but I’m glad we “LOCKed THE GATE” behind him when he left.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

SL has recruited 7 QBs here.. 2 have played and 1 Has been solid in Fine,  the other was manageable (Morris).. SL has had 3 QB leave the program (O’Hara, Isadore, Cason), another RS (Pearson) and one being on campus 4 weeks now..

You’re comparing a Head Coach to an OC/QB Coach.. SL makes the determination and has the final say, while Chico only had a say and not the final say.. Look at the differences as well in how this offense appeals to players compared to Macs. I would sure hope we can see improvement going from a running team to a passing team with SL/GH here..

But the resume of Chico says SEC QB Coach, and he has brought in one of the highest rated QB recruits in the conference to UTEP. That QB recruit would be the highest rated recruit as well to make it to campus under this staff as well.

THREAD DERAILED!!!! This is a recruits page!!! 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

As far as the overall thread: I am surprised that UNT is working this early on getting on a second QB. Not necessarily badly surprised, just surprised, since our only current commit is a QB.

On 2/10/2018 at 7:34 PM, Cr1028 said:

I do know that the only quarterbacks worth a crap that Chico ever coached while at NT for 5 seasons were recruited by Todd Dodge before Chico arrived. Maybe Mac steered him away from certain types but you can’t say that in 5 years under 2 head coaches he couldn’t have snuck in one qb worth a spit.

If you are asking me Chico DID get a manageable to good QB on campus. Problem is it is Quinn Shanbour and we can't exactly say he understood his talent. With that said, I would have to say that all the QBs coming out of Chicos time at UNT seem really well rounded human beings, which would actually be very important to me if I were a dad of a recruit (this is not meant to say anything about the Harrell/SL kids, which so far also seem nice and well educated).

Edited by outoftown

8 hours ago, outoftown said:

As far as the overall thread: I am surprised that UNT is working this early on getting on a second QB. Not necessarily badly surprised, just surprised, since our only current commit is a QB.

If you are asking me Chico DID get a manageable to good QB on campus. Problem is it is Quinn Shanbour and we can't exactly say he understood his talent. With that said, I would have to say that all the QBs coming out of Chicos time at UNT seem really well rounded human beings, which would actually be very important to me if I were a dad of a recruit (this is not meant to say anything about the Harrell/SL kids, which so far also seem nice and well educated).

Even DeMarcus Smith(who was a me first guy) and Dajon Williams (who got thrown out of school)?

• All About UNT changed the title to '19 QB Maverick McIvor (San Angelo)WAGONER, OK
  • El Paso Eagle changed the title to '19 QB Maverick McIvor (San Angelo)
  • 2 months later...

This  thread jumped the tracks with any comparisons of pasted  QB recruiting  to what we've seen from  Seth Lettrell and company.  Mason Fine......Period!!!   He would have never been recruited by past regimes.   If fans can't get excited about new QB recruits  like Kason Martin  and Jason Bean,  then they haven't been paying attention.   UNT's future is now!  Leave the sad past alone.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

On 2/11/2018 at 2:02 AM, greenminer said:

If you're going to point out that some kids might not know who a former All-Pro from 15 years ago is, might as well consider that a lot of our kids don't know how Mean Joe is until the AD introduces him.

Does it make the interaction any less cool? I don't think so and, likewise, I don't think it matters if they don't know who Rivers is.  Chico can tell kids he's coached an all-Pro.  It's impressionable.

Last thought: the more and more I hear about recruiting tactics under DMac's regime, the less I hold against his assistants.

I would like to see this thread get back on topic, which is about the recruit.

He coach minnie mac and greer those were two impressive qbs.

• 5 weeks later...