Not to poo poo recruiting

H-towngreen

But this is poo poo. I’ve follwed NT recruiting closely for a long time and it just seems like we can’t ever capitalize on a good season. I know that it’s usually the following years class that sees the uptick. But damn, when the hell are we going to start landing a class full of studs. A class full of recruits who have P5 offers. I don’t care if those offers are from Kansas, Washington State, Vanderbilt, and whoever else. We aren’t regularly beating out the La Techs of the world at this point. I know we have some decent kids onboard with this class, but I want to see an entire class of it.  There’s no reason we should be getting kicked around on the recruiting trail like we are.

End rant

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 7

We're doing better. We're not great, but things have slightly improved. I don't expect to be an overnight top recruiting class in CUSA. But I do expect steady improvements year to year, which I am seeing. Now, we do need to close strong with these last handful of scholarships. We can't afford to whiff on the rest of our slots and watch UTSA, LaTech and SMU closeout strong. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

We're doing better. We're not great, but things have slightly improved. I don't expect to be an overnight top recruiting class in CUSA. But I do expect steady improvements year to year, which I am seeing. Now, we do need to close strong with these last handful of scholarships. We can't afford to whiff on the rest of our slots and watch UTSA, LaTech and SMU closeout strong. 

It looks like most of C-USA as a whole is improving with the Florida Schools getting a big jump.

8 hours ago, H-towngreen said:

But this is poo poo. I’ve follwed NT recruiting closely for a long time and it just seems like we can’t ever capitalize on a good season. I know that it’s usually the following years class that sees the uptick. But damn, when the hell are we going to start landing a class full of studs. A class full of recruits who have P5 offers. I don’t care if those offers are from Kansas, Washington State, Vanderbilt, and whoever else. We aren’t regularly beating out the La Techs of the world at this point. I know we have some decent kids onboard with this class, but I want to see an entire class of it.  There’s no reason we should be getting kicked around on the recruiting trail like we are.

End rant

I'm confused by posts like this.  No, we aren't beating the La Tech's of the world...and we honestly can't be surprised.  

We won 9 games in 2013 and 2017 with a load of crap in between.  La Tech, in that same span? 

2014: 9-5, played in CUSA title game and won HOD Bowl

2015: 9-4 with win in NO Bowl

2016: 9-5, played in CUSA title game and won Armed Forces Bowl

2017: 7-6 and destroyed SMU in Frisco Bowl

I think Seth will get us to where we want to be (where La Tech is and has been) but we can't throw our hands up in disgust when we don't win head to head against a team that has a better recent track record.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Please keep in mind this is a building process. Just like we will not convince the Texas High School Coaches that we have changed until they see ongoing system changes. There will be good days and bad days, but step-by-step it will improve. And no, that does not mean we as fans should settle, but to ignore the history that we have gone through is not being realistic. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 4

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

We average about 1 winning season every 10 years.  Let that sink in.

It sunk in but it didn't register.  We've had seven bowl appearances in the last 17 years.  Although two of those were with five win teams, the other five winning seasons would correlate to 50 years by your statistic and that's with our most anemic record.  If you want to go back further, our record gets better.

We've been far from a powerhouse lately but not quite that bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

It sunk in but it didn't register.  We've had seven bowl appearances in the last 17 years.  Although two of those were with five win teams, the other five winning seasons would correlate to 50 years by your statistic and that's with our most anemic record.  If you want to go back further, our record gets better.

We've been far from a powerhouse lately but not quite that bad.

I get both of your points. Recent history for bowls has been better but 4 of the 7 bowls came in 4 straight years after Dickey landed some of the most talented players in our history. Even with that, only had 5 winning seasons in those 17 years. Overall record during that time 79-130 (38% winning percentage). Overall in our FBS history, we've won 43%. So in same ways recent history (other than bowls) hasn't been better.

On 1/30/2018 at 5:26 PM, emmitt01 said:

I'm confused by posts like this.  No, we aren't beating the La Tech's of the world...and we honestly can't be surprised.  

We won 9 games in 2013 and 2017 with a load of crap in between.  La Tech, in that same span? 

2014: 9-5, played in CUSA title game and won HOD Bowl

2015: 9-4 with win in NO Bowl

2016: 9-5, played in CUSA title game and won Armed Forces Bowl

2017: 7-6 and destroyed SMU in Frisco Bowl

I think Seth will get us to where we want to be (where La Tech is and has been) but we can't throw our hands up in disgust when we don't win head to head against a team that has a better recent track record.

You can skew data easily in this kind of debate.   No doubt La Tech and most peer schools have had more historical success than NT.   NT also has a lot of advantages over La Tech:  Denton vs Ruston, significantly larger athletic budget, much broader academic opportunities, and unless La Tech has greatly enhanced their facilities; NT has a big edge.  

Look at the CUSA Florida twins, both are recruiting at a very high level despite an horrible historical success rank.  

I believe that all that is secondary to the ability of a staff to sell program.  Examples abound of coaches overcoming lackluster records; including the recent success of the Florida CUSA twins and UTSA that lack historical winning  but are leading CUSA in recruiting. 

• Thanks 2