Mean Green Scholarship Fund is replacing the Mean Green Club

LETitFLYguy

You know, there is always the option of starting up an external 501(c) entity whose sole purpose is to donate its revenue to specific, restricted gifts to UNT. 

Screw scholarships, let's start a gold plated toilets in Apogee fund. Even better, let's start a legal defense fund to make sure that student votes go our (the alumni's) way and that student fees get maxed out with 50% increases every year.  Maybe a buy out the coaching staff every time our defense gives up a third down conversion fund.  The possibilities are limitless! 

We could (and I believe would be required to) have officers of the fund and could have secret meetings and handshakes and everything.  Maybe even lapel pins and tiny flags to fly from our cars. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Maybe I am mistaken but in the past we had one of the lowest athletic fees in Texas?

Not true at all, the P5 are generally low because they don't have to depend on student fees.   Texas St & UTSA are at state max but I am not aware of any other Texas school being higher than the current NT fee.  

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

You know, there is always the option of starting up an external 501(c) entity whose sole purpose is to donate its revenue to specific, restricted gifts to UNT. 

Screw scholarships, let's start a gold plated toilets in Apogee fund. Even better, let's start a legal defense fund to make sure that student votes go our (the alumni's) way and that student fees get maxed out with 50% increases every year.  Maybe a buy out the coaching staff every time our defense gives up a third down conversion fund.  The possibilities are limitless! 

We could (and I believe would be required to) have officers of the fund and could have secret meetings and handshakes and everything.  Maybe even lapel pins and tiny flags to fly from our cars. 

Is the MGSF solely for scholarships? 

I'll hang up and listen... . . .  .  .  .    .    .      .

University Fees per student, per semester Total fees collected by university
TXST $300 athletics fee $17,315,569
UTSA $240 athletics fee $12,032,206
UNT $165 athletics fee $10,724,272
UH $250 student services fee $7,260,060
UTEP $180 student services fee $5,935,317
TTU $57.20 athletics fee $3,237,896
TAMU $0  $0
UT $0
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Is the MGSF solely for scholarships? 

I'll hang up and listen... . . .  .  .  .    .    .      .

"Annual scholarship and program support for our student-athletes remains a critical component in our mission of building champions and preparing leaders," Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker said.

• Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, southsideguy said:
University Fees per student, per semester Total fees collected by university
TXST $300 athletics fee $17,315,569
UTSA $240 athletics fee $12,032,206
UNT $165 athletics fee $10,724,272
UH $250 student services fee $7,260,060
UTEP $180 student services fee $5,935,317
TTU $57.20 athletics fee $3,237,896
TAMU $0  $0
UT $0

nice to be loaded like TAMU and UT.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2018 at 12:39 PM, Cerebus said:

Forcing other people to pay for the things you want = OK.

Asking you to help pay for the things you want = Not OK.

There is no confusion about the point you are trying to make, it's just (IMHO) an indefensible position.  

He ignores you once, so you go back for a second bite?

Guess what. It’s all a money grab. That’s what college athletics is at the G5 level. Pretty clear that was his point.

But you want to join in the pigeonholing crowd, which a mod should NEVER do.

But there are zero consequences for  ax moderator behavior on here, so...

Oh, and I’ll see y’all later, as the ban will be lowered for questioning the great, bullying Cerebus.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 8

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Not true at all, the P5 are generally low because they don't have to depend on student fees.   Texas St & UTSA are at state max but I am not aware of any other Texas school being higher than the current NT fee.  

A) There isn't a max fee you can charge. In fact, UTSA just raised their fee to $21 per credit hr. 

B) Houston's is now higher after they increased the fee to help with stadium and renovation of hoffeintz. 

• Lovely Take 1

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, oldguystudent said:

I filed my taxes today, so will find out in a couple three weeks when I get my refund.  I don't think anybody really knows right now, but that's surely what the name suggests. 

New Tax Law applies to 2018 taxes, so we shall see.  Filing this year is same as last year.  And, here's hoping ALL monies do go to scholarships.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

New Tax Law applies to 2018 taxes, so we shall see.  Filing this year is same as last year.  And, here's hoping ALL monies do go to scholarships.  

Post had nothing to do with taxes, but rather that my refund will pay for my contribution and tickets. When I get it, I plan on asking what the newly named thing is all about.