Mean Green Scholarship Fund is replacing the Mean Green Club

LETitFLYguy

24 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

You are right but for a kid that may attend 3-4 games, $325 is a bit rich for my blood believe it or not. Love that kid to death but I dont want to drag her to all 6 games, LOL. I do understand what you are getting at though.

I tell you What, you buy/sell a house through me and I will use all that commission money to purchase a season ticket for her until the money runs out, HAHA

I completely understand.

Best of luck to you, and if you sit in section 205, I'm sure you'll be able to get away with it for the most part.   Just gotta hope the 11/17 game VS FAU doesn't mean anything (highly doubtful) or you're risk is going to go up dramatically.  Especially if both teams do as well as they did last year (sniffing top 25 votes).

• Lovely Take 1

Talked with MGSF (still want to type MGC) rep today. It's going to cost me. I had 8 tickets. 4 for me, 2 each for friends. We did this to cut the donation requirement. I suspect we are the type of folks this was meant to eliminate :)

I'm not excited to pay more. But I am excited about where this program is headed. The website was very informative. My deal is this, if they are charging higher than our competitors, I'd be livid. But we are still below the CUSA average. And I expect us to win, so I understand paying bottom dollar prices doesn't mesh with my expectations. 

I think overall this is good for athletics and a good sign for UNT. It tells me that Smattresk, Baker, et al. are trying to build something sustainable. If they weren't, why bother and get some of the negativity you know will come with an increase and changes. 

I'm gonna do the 6 month thing. That will cost me an extra $50 per month for 6 months. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I can't prove otherwise, but I swear I saw that number once because I wondered if my priority points weren't cutting the mustard and inquired.  

Nonetheless, I agree that $3,000 is a helluva jump. 

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Min for black lot was $2500.  

I talked to Conner with the MGSF.  Everybody is right.  Yes, minimum was $2500 - but they then filled the black lot remaining empty spaces with the remaining fans per priority points.  

So, no - I didn't pay $2500, but I did have a black pass due to priority points.  I hope my bball tickets help me get there this year.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

Talked with MGSF (still want to type MGC) rep today. It's going to cost me. I had 8 tickets. 4 for me, 2 each for friends. We did this to cut the donation requirement. I suspect we are the type of folks this was meant to eliminate :)

I'm not excited to pay more. But I am excited about where this program is headed. The website was very informative. My deal is this, if they are charging higher than our competitors, I'd be livid. But we are still below the CUSA average. And I expect us to win, so I understand paying bottom dollar prices doesn't mesh with my expectations. 

I think overall this is good for athletics and a good sign for UNT. It tells me that Smattresk, Baker, et al. are trying to build something sustainable. If they weren't, why bother and get some of the negativity you know will come with an increase and changes. 

I'm gonna do the 6 month thing. That will cost me an extra $50 per month for 6 months. 

Well said!

Just renewed my tickets.  I'm excited about the direction this team is headed, but i would of paid the increase regardless.

GMG!

31 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I’m not thrilled about the name change.   I was proud to sport my Mean Green Club polos, license plate frame, and window decals.  I don’t really see me doing that for the Mean Green Scholarship Fund.  

Agree on the name thing.  Can they perhaps reconsider this decision?  

53 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agree on the name thing.  Can they perhaps reconsider this decision?  

We all talk about change. Fix stuff that isn't working that this administration inherited.

The MGC had hardly grown since Justin Bieber was in elementary school.

Let's scrap it and do something else.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"UNT officials said the Mean Green Scholarship Fund currently has nearly 1,200 members who donate a total of just less than $1 million per year. UNT has about 4,000 season ticket-holders for football.

UNT officials acknowledged those totals rank near the bottom of Conference USA.

"To say that is low is an understatement," Connor Meier, UNT's assistant athletic director for development, said of UNT's Mean Green Scholarship Fund membership total.

UNT ranked 12th out of 13 public schools in C-USA in funds brought in from ticket sales in the 2015-16 school year at $985,736, according toUSA Today's annual study of finances in college athletics. The school ranked eighth in the league in donations for the same year at $3.4 million." 

From Vito's article.... WOW that is rough.

• Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

1200 is higher than it ever was under the previous AD.  

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

UNT ranked 12th out of 13 public schools in C-USA in funds brought in from ticket sales in the 2015-16 school year at $985,736, according toUSA Today's annual study of finances in college athletics. The school ranked eighth in the league in donations for the same year at $3.4 million." 

If you are wondering why there is a hike in prices... this is why.  We are going to end up at the bottom of CUSA if we continue to raise money from out biggest fans the way we have in the past.  

10 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

1200 is higher than it ever was under the previous AD.  

If you are wondering why there is a hike in prices... this is why.  We are going to end up at the bottom of CUSA if we continue to raise money from out biggest fans the way we have in the past.  

Raising the prices of premium seat season tickets is doing the exact same thing, but just a different avenue.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

"UNT officials said the Mean Green Scholarship Fund currently has nearly 1,200 members who donate a total of just less than $1 million per year. UNT has about 4,000 season ticket-holders for football.

UNT officials acknowledged those totals rank near the bottom of Conference USA.

"To say that is low is an understatement," Connor Meier, UNT's assistant athletic director for development, said of UNT's Mean Green Scholarship Fund membership total.

First, let me say that I agree that the Scholarship Fund needs considerable help if we are ever to rise above where we are now and I intend to support based on my long retired status and a fixed income.  But, the figures quoted above from the DRC are outdated and somewhat inaccurate to the whole picture.

Here are the revenue totals for each university for the period 7/1/16 through 6/30/17 to the Department of Education.  I have rounded the dollars to a tenth of a million.  The report includes Rice who, while not required to report to the NCAA, is required to report to the DOE for Title IX purposes.  

Old Dominion             $42.1

Rice                              $39.1

Florida International  $35.3

North Texas                $33.4

Charlotte                      $32.9

UTEP                             $30.9

Middle Tennessee       $30.5

Marshall                        $29.4

Western Kentucky        $29.2

UAB                                 $28.9

UTSA                               $27.8

Florida Atlantic              $26.1

Southern Miss                $22.2

Louisiana Tech               $18.0

I believe that these totals include revenues from all sources.  The source is the Title IX Gender Equity Report to the Department of Education.

My point is that while revenue from season ticket sales is still anemic in regards to total revenue, donations and student fees do help our conference standing considerably.  

Now, personally the change will cost me about the same.  I have two seats (down from four) in premium Section 206.  I had been paying about $300 or so for the two plus a $500 donation or a total of $800 give or take.  I still plan to give the same $500 donation and my seats will now be $400.  That's $150 per month under the six months plan.  I could cut my donation to $200 per seat and save $100 if I so choose but not this year, if ever.  If I survive the coming economy I may even increase my donation.

If we want to be known as a first class university we must pay the price.  The new AD administration has more than paid for itself in increased donations but there is still a major amount that must be underwritten by the university and they need the help of students, alumni and friends.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenEngineer said:

#OldDenton #Settling #PleaseMakeSomeOneElsePayForTheThingsBenWants

OR...

#GMG.comisaforumfordiehardfans  #notallfansareasengaged #takeoffGreenTintedGlasses #observations #pricingsomepeopleoutoftheirseats  #demandtoolowtorecouplostrevenue #facts  #breakeven? #maybemore? #possiblyless? #we'llsee

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

OR...

#GMG.comisaforumfordiehardfans  #notallfansareasengaged #takeoffGreenTintedGlasses #observations #pricingsomepeopleoutoftheirseats  #demandtoolowtorecouplostrevenue #facts  #breakeven? #maybemore? #possiblyless? #we'llsee

Here is the problem with his argument.  

Either football is important enough to do as well as possible or it is not. 

If you happen to think it is not that important, and do not want to pay higher prices for it, that seems like a valid logical conclusion.  

If you think it is so important that we not only need to raise prices, but increase the student fees, that also seems like a valid logical conclusion.

But constantly berating efforts by the department, coaches, administrators, etc. because they are #olddenton, or small time, and demanding the student fee be raised without a vote of the students, and then turning around and saying the season ticket holders should not be asked to pay more, that doesn't make any sense. 

It really is #OldDenton.   Berating the current product for not being good enough for your money, not being willing to help pay to for improvements yourself, wanting costs passed on to someone else.  

Edited by MeanGreenEngineer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Aldo said:

Also, MGC had the sound of a high school booster club. Name shouldn't make us hesitate. 

And, people were always moaning about "where are the meetings if it is a club".  The name being "Mean Green Club" was misleading as it WAS a fundraising arm, not a club that held meetings, etc.  For me, I like the new name as I am all about raising scholarship funds for deserving students at UNT...be they athletes or not.  I want my donation dollars going to scholarships, so for me...I am good, and would proudly display a decal, polo, etc. supporting the Mean Green Scholarship Fund name/logo.

Plus, perhaps the name has something to do with the new tax laws regarding "donations" tied to tickets, seat locations, etc.  We shall see.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, MeanGreenEngineer said:

Here is the problem with his argument.  

Either football is important enough to do as well as possible or it is not. 

If you happen to think it is not that important, and do not want to pay higher prices for it, that seems like a valid logical conclusion.  

If you think it is so important that we not only need to raise prices, but increase the student fees, that also seems like a valid logical conclusion.

But constantly berating efforts by the department, coaches, administrators, etc. because they are #olddenton, or small time, and demanding the student fee be raised without a vote of the students, and then turning around and saying the season ticket holders should not be asked to pay more, that doesn't make any sense. 

It really is #OldDenton.   Berating the current product for not being good enough for your money, not being willing to help pay to for improvements yourself, wanting costs passed on to someone else.  

My problem is that it concedes to piss poor work/results in ticket sales. It basically states that we have who we have, so let's make the most out of it. If that wasn't the underlying logic, you know the one with only 4K season ticket holders, I would stfu about this. We've had this coaching staff in place working on 3 seasons and this athletic administration working on 2 years, and we're at 4K season ticket holders. This isn't berating, this is pointing out the facts. And the facts need to see a 2 fold increase, you know, the peer average. If it was there, maybe these people having to pay more wouldn't need or have to pay more. If this is #OldDenton, then so be it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

38 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

And, people were always moaning about "where are the meetings if it is a club".  The name being "Mean Green Club" was misleading as it WAS a fundraising arm, not a club that held meetings, etc.  For me, I like the new name as I am all about raising scholarship funds for deserving students at UNT...be they athletes or not.  I want my donation dollars going to scholarships, so for me...I am good, and would proudly display a decal, polo, etc. supporting the Mean Green Scholarship Fund name/logo.

Plus, perhaps the name has something to do with the new tax laws regarding "donations" tied to tickets, seat locations, etc.  We shall see.

Right there with you on money going to scholarships.  I will also have outdated polo shirts, decals, license plate frames, etc.  So, while Mean Green Scholarship Fund may be a little long and awkward, I propose that we simply call the donors to that fund...Greenbacker$ and start a new trend for selling/giving away new advertising and merchandising items.  Hopefully, seeing others who have given will spur new membership.

39 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

My problem is that it concedes to piss poor work/results in ticket sales. It basically states that we have who we have, so let's make the most out of it. If that wasn't the underlying logic, you know the one with only 4K season ticket holders, I would stfu about this. We've had this coaching staff in place working on 3 seasons and this athletic administration working on 2 years, and we're at 4K season ticket holders. This isn't berating, this is pointing out the facts. And the facts need to see a 2 fold increase, you know, the peer average. If it was there, maybe these people having to pay more wouldn't need or have to pay more. If this is #OldDenton, then so be it. 

How about we see how the change actually works before [some people] throw the baby out with the bath water? There's a chance the department could raise less money but what happens if more money is raised?

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

OR...

might I interest you in a # strategy known as capitalizing the start of a new word every time.

#ItMakesThingsEasierToUnderstandYetYouStillGetToUseTheHashtag