Mean Green Scholarship Fund is replacing the Mean Green Club

LETitFLYguy

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenEngineer said:

So asking a customer who is interested in the product and in convinced the product should be high grade is a money grab.  

But forcing the students, many of who aren't interested in athletics at all, to pay a higher fee is not a money grab?  

Well, actually, the students get to vote on their money grab. The people being imposed the increase in this scenario gets no vote. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Well, actually, the students get to vote on their money grab. The people being imposed the increase in this scenario gets no vote. 

Weren't you again them voting?  

On 1/12/2018 at 3:36 PM, Ben Gooding said:

I'm sorry, but having students, more specifically UNT students, with this kind of power over athletics is absurd. Are we doing this out of respect to the student body? Or does it have to be done in this manner. If not, cut the small talk, pull the rug out from underneath their bleeding hearts, and get it done. 

Yeah, seems like you are perfectly happy with costs being imposed as long as they aren't imposed on you.  

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

It's not forced on you.  Sit somewhere else.  It would be forced on students unless they wanted to transfer to another school.  

I am for the student fee being raised, and though I am not happy about it, I understand why the program needs to raise money to compete.  

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Weren't you again them voting?  

Yeah, seems like you are perfectly happy with costs being imposed as long as they aren't imposed on you.  

Sure I was, but the point still stands. Let's try this again, I don't sit in those sections. I used bold font to help with reading comprehension. 

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenEngineer said:

It's not forced on you.  Sit somewhere else.  It would be forced on students unless they wanted to transfer to another school.  

I am for the student fee being raised, and though I am not happy about it, I understand why the program needs to raise money to compete.  

I do sit somewhere else, as I said earlier. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 7

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

End zone is where I believe you have said you sometimes sit, which doesn't have a Mean Green Club Mean Green Scholarship Fund requirement. If this is wrong, I'm sure you'll correct me.

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Hos, specifically is this a "Money Grab"?  You, yourself have called for an upgrade to everything....that cost money.  I guess you could say that everything is a "Money Grab"  I charge exactly what the market will bare for my products....no a penny more or less.  How is this any different?  The AD is raising money to provide the product we all want and have demanded for years.....there is no there there

• Upvote 6

So I just talked to the ticket office.  Here is the breakdown:

The tickets in sections 105, 206, and 207 are now $400 each - $200 for the ticket and $200 for the scholarship fund. 

The tickets in 103, 104, 106, 107, 205, and 208 go up to $325 each - $175 for the ticket and $150 for the scholarship fund.

The Scholarship Red Zone tickets are $150 each - $125 for the ticket plus $25 for the scholarship fund.

The remainder of the seats for face value.

For me. that would be about a 50% increase over last year.    Getting our butts kicked in Nawlins was expensive experience!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Hos, specifically is this a "Money Grab"?  You, yourself have called for an upgrade to everything....that cost money.  I guess you could say that everything is a "Money Grab"  I charge exactly what the market will bare for my products....no a penny more or less.  How is this any different?  The AD is raising money to provide the product we all want and have demanded for years.....there is no there there

Are we operating at or under budget? If the answer is yes, this is a money grab. If the answer is no, then the people that are hired to do a certain job need to do their job better and find more warm bodies instead of desperately poaching the loyal followers. The money isn't the issue, it's the plan attached to this being the issue in my opinion. Baker spoke about fan bases being boosted, etc. in this little write up done by Brett. We set a record in attendance at 22K+ per season. We set the previous record in 2013 at 21K+ with Dan McCarney. As fast as they get here, they can undoubtedly leave faster. I mean this season was the best season in a decade, maybe decades, hosted a formidable opponent at home and came 5K short of a sellout. The plan attached to this better involve us being damn good for years to come. Otherwise, are they planning on flip flopping prices to back and forth when we're good and when we suck? I can't imagine people paying these prices if we slip back down into the armpit of college football and have announced attendances of 10K with actual attendances being 5K. And I damn well don't see anyone paying these prices now if they were fence sitters, which is my number 1 problem with it. 

Or was this a last ditch effort to boost revenue because the writing on the wall can be seen from the AD as far as the student fee vote goes? 

I mean, you think they would be announcing a plan to get our putrid number of 4K season ticket holders up instead of announcing a plan to f*ck over the premium seat ticket holders.   

• Downvote 7

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

I always got red/blue with my club seats.  I believe the black lot was something along the lines of $1,000 or $2,000 (I don't recall the exact amount), so it looks like they raised the minimum for that.  

I anticipate the red/blue lot is going to be considerably more crowded next year as former black lot space holders and the general public trickle in.  I'm gonna have to make effort to show up early so as to avoid the shithouse that is entry on Bonnie Brae.  Either that, or I'll decide to have a little verbal sparring fun with yellowjackets at the North Texas Blvd entry who don't seem to understand that red and blue parking passes are exactly the same thing. 

No, it wasn't $1,000 or $2,000 - they just went on priority points.  So now I have been downgraded on my parking.  I would be willing to spend more I think, but the jump to $3000 is severe.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

No, it wasn't $1,000 or $2,000 - they just went on priority points.  So now I have been downgraded on my parking.  I would be willing to spend more I think, but the jump to $3000 is severe.  

I can't prove otherwise, but I swear I saw that number once because I wondered if my priority points weren't cutting the mustard and inquired.  

Nonetheless, I agree that $3,000 is a helluva jump. 

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Sure I was, but the point still stands.

Forcing other people to pay for the things you want = OK.

Asking you to help pay for the things you want = Not OK.

There is no confusion about the point you are trying to make, it's just (IMHO) an indefensible position.  

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

Forcing other people to pay for the things you want = OK.

There is no confusion about the point you are trying to make, it's just (IMHO) an indefensible position.  

You have it wrong. 

And who is being forced to pay for anything other than premium seat season ticket holders? 

They announce how bad we're doing in numbers in the MGC and season ticket sales. 

They're basically like, "Hey guys, look at the MGC and season ticket numbers, we suck at what we do and we can't seem to do any better. So...We're making you pay more to make our numbers boosted and our jobs easier." 

Wrong or right, to me, it reeks of laziness. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I don't care about -1's. I don't care about this increase in prices either because it doesn't pertain to me. But don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. Like, don't grab at people's wallet and then say it's not a money grab. Say what he said, such as wanting to be at the market value of our very peers and leave it alone. Again, this boost doesn't affect me at all. 

If it doesn't affect you, then why do you care one way or another? All I know is, the real fans of the program demanded changes to the AD and a commitment to excellence. Well, here it is.  If we want to be serious players in the world of Div 1 athletics, then we have to pay up. All of us, plain and simple. Students, alumni, administration, everyone. If you're not on board, then and go and be happy doing something else. Or, put your big boy pants on and get over it.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

You have it wrong. 

I think you are right.  I do have it wrong.  You don't even pay for the seats that would require the donation.  

So in fact:

Forcing other people to pay for the things you want but don't choose to pay for now = OK.

8 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I think you are right.  I do have it wrong.  You don't even pay for the seats that would require the donation.  

So in fact:

Forcing other people to pay for the things you want but don't choose to pay for now = OK.

Wait, so in your little conundrum here, who is the group being forced and who is being asked...

• Downvote 1

I sit in section 205 and only have two season tickets so it really doesnt impact me all that much because its just an increase of $50 from my normal Donation of $250. My little one is now 4 so she will technically requires a ticket in which I will now just purchase a GA Ticket every time she goes.

My Dad is not too excited about it because he has 4 season tickets so now he is having to fork over $600 for his donations instead of the normal $250+/-. He always tried to drag along his grand kids, friends or just gave them away but now he is going to just purchase two tickets due to this new deal. Yes, $300 isn't going to affect the program all that much but if you take 25-75 people and they all did the same then that makes an impact.

Yeah, he could move to a different section with a different giving amount but we have had these same seats since Apogee opened and We dont ever plan on moving unless $hit starts to get real crazy. End the end, it has its positives and negatives

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Arguing with you is hopeless.  You admit you pay almost nothing at all to help the program.  You consciously make a decision to pay less than you could.  You also admit that you want a the fees to be raised for the students without even asking them.

Yet, somehow you think that both those admissions help your argument. 

In fact, what exactly is your argument? Ben wants nice things but wants other people pay for them?   If that is your argument we get it, just don't expect us to respect the argument.  

Edited by MeanGreenEngineer
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

I sit in section 205 and only have two season tickets so it really doesnt impact me all that much because its just an increase of $50 from my normal Donation of $250. My little one is now 4 so she will technically requires a ticket in which I will now just purchase a GA Ticket every time she goes.

My Dad is not too excited about it because he has 4 season tickets so now he is having to fork over $600 for his donations instead of the normal $250+/-. He always tried to drag along his grand kids, friends or just gave them away but now he is going to just purchase two tickets due to this new deal. Yes, $300 isn't going to affect the program all that much but if you take 25-75 people and they all did the same then that makes an impact.

Yeah, he could move to a different section with a different giving amount but we have had these same seats since Apogee opened and We dont ever plan on moving unless $hit starts to get real crazy. End the end, it has its positives and negatives

Here's where YOU assume the risk though.
Risk on both sides, but if there is a game like the Army game, where the section was mostly full, your GA ticket for your daughter may not allow her to sit by you because someone else bought the actual seat, unless she's going to sit in your lap for the entire game.

May as well fork over the money now to make sure you have her seat for as long as you have your seats... if you like your seats.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenEngineer said:

Arguing with you is hopeless.  You admit you pay almost nothing at all to help the program.  You consciously make a decision to pay less than you could.  You also admit that you want a the fees to be raised for the students without even asking them.

Yet, somehow you think that both those admissions help your argument. 

In fact, what exactly is your argument? Ben wants nice things but wants other people pay for them?   If that is your argument we get it, just don't expect us to respect the argument.  

Yeah, sure, that's my argument. 

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

If it doesn't affect you, then why do you care one way or another? All I know is, the real fans of the program demanded changes to the AD and a commitment to excellence. Well, here it is.  If we want to be serious players in the world of Div 1 athletics, then we have to pay up. All of us, plain and simple. Students, alumni, administration, everyone. If you're not on board, then and go and be happy doing something else. Or, put your big boy pants on and get over it.

I assume you believe any real fans of the program don't have money constraints.  

NT can price their product anyway they want, and it is up to the consumer (fan) rather it is worth it to them.  

Most programs do similar things with their donations and ticket prices.  There is no way to justify paying thousands of dollars for prime tickets and parking other than you want to support the university at a relatively high level.

On a personal basis, it will cost several thousands extra to maintain the tickets I currently have.  Due to family conflicts, we  only went to four home games last year including the Lamar game which I had minimum interest in.   Football like basketball were I had season tickets for decades; may change from season tickets to game time purchases.   

Edited by GrandGreen

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Here's where YOU assume the risk though.
Risk on both sides, but if there is a game like the Army game, where the section was mostly full, your GA ticket for your daughter may not allow her to sit by you because someone else bought the actual seat, unless she's going to sit in your lap for the entire game.

May as well fork over the money now to make sure you have her seat for as long as you have your seats... if you like your seats.

You are right but for a kid that may attend 3-4 games, $325 is a bit rich for my blood believe it or not. Love that kid to death but I dont want to drag her to all 6 games, LOL. I do understand what you are getting at though.

I tell you What, you buy/sell a house through me and I will use all that commission money to purchase a season ticket for her until the money runs out, HAHA

• Haha 1