Mean Green Scholarship Fund is replacing the Mean Green Club

LETitFLYguy

5 hours ago, LETitFLYguy said:

how so?

club1
kləb/
noun

1. 1.
    an association or organization dedicated to a particular interest or activity.

an association of persons for some common object usually jointly supported and meeting periodically; 

We never had "club" meetings, much less elected officers, and we never received regular reports about the number of members, the amount donated, and goals regarding membership. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

I’ll tell you why it affects me.  My license plate holder is no longer valid.  I have to throw away two sweatshirts, and everything mandarino worked so hard to build from the ground up just got axed in one swift obviously knee jerk decision.  Plus, it’s one of the few clubs I actually belong to.  What now?  Rotary? Kiwanananasasas? Junior league?  I have no direction.

We can go to the club. I’ll grab my shiny gold shirt with a really large, really pointy collar that’s subliminally arousing. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Seems like a bad name to me.   It denotes contributions are only for scholarships which I am fairly confident is not the case.

Agreed. 

Seems like another money grab move so we are less aware of how this money is being put to use. It's cute that they annotate the scholarship fund in the name, but is that exclusively what this is for? I do not think it is. If it is not, it's basically lying about the use of funds and asking us to give with our eyes even closed tighter. 

-1's because people are soft and can't stand to hear negativity put into context....Don't worry, I have my umbrella handy...

2q53wk9.gif

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 9

There are effectively three places that contributions to athletics go, right?  

1) Scholarships

2) Capital campaigns

3) Coach and staff salaries

Capital campaigns have, to my knowledge, nearly all come from private purpose specific donations and the student athletic fee.  

So that leaves us with scholarships and salaries.  Have salaries historically been paid out of the GMG fund?  

Is anything really different?  I promise I'm not trying to agitate here.  I'm trying to understand what is actually different aside from potential increases in required donations for season tickets, which had already begun with club seats who had completed their capital campaign gifts last season, so was really to be expected.  

I haven't yet received my phone call from the athletic department to discuss my upcoming contributions for 2018, so I haven't been able to ask any of these questions.  (I kinda think that I might have a little asterisk by my name akin to DoNotCall list from previous encounters, and I'm kinda fine with that.) 

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

There are effectively three places that contributions to athletics go, right?  

1) Scholarships

2) Capital campaigns

3) Coach and staff salaries

Capital campaigns have, to my knowledge, nearly all come from private purpose specific donations and the student athletic fee.  

So that leaves us with scholarships and salaries.  Have salaries historically been paid out of the GMG fund?  

Is anything really different?  I promise I'm not trying to agitate here.  I'm trying to understand what is actually different aside from potential increases in required donations for season tickets, which had already begun with club seats who had completed their capital campaign gifts last season, so was really to be expected.  

I haven't yet received my phone call from the athletic department to discuss my upcoming contributions for 2018, so I haven't been able to ask any of these questions.  (I kinda think that I might have a little asterisk by my name akin to DoNotCall list from previous encounters, and I'm kinda fine with that.) 

My guess unless otherwise designated by the donor that most donations are unrestricted.   Meaning that they can be used for just about anything in the athletic department.  Frankly, traditional scholarships are one of the  least likely to see any of these funds.   

Although on a book basis the AD is charged for tuition, in reality the actual expenses are much less on a cash basis.   It doesn't cost a university of close to 40k a lot to add 3 hundred students.  These tuition and fee charges show up as an expense on the books, than are covered by those mysterious institutional transfers with very small cash impact.    

The part of scholarships that unrestricted donations are most likely to cover are the stipends now available to football players and the housing allowances as apparently no one lives on campus anymore.  Plus apparently now food is being provided in addition to their outside living allowance.    

The biggest costs in terms of actual cash expenditures is staff salaries and benefits, but you are not likely to see that in the title of a donation fund.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Agreed. 

Seems like another money grab move so we are less aware of how this money is being put to use. It's cute that they annotate the scholarship fund in the name, but is that exclusively what this is for? I do not think it is. If it is not, it's basically lying about the use of funds and asking us to give with our eyes even closed tighter. 

-1's because people are soft and can't stand to hear negativity put into context....Don't worry, I have my umbrella handy...

2q53wk9.gif

When you have 1000 MGC donors and 5000 season ticket holders for football with the numbers we have, they don’t have much of a choice but to get more $$$ from those that give. Unless/until those numbers are double what they are now, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the contribution levels and ticket prices go up annually to make up the difference. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yeah. But if it's not a money grab, then what would it be called? 

When they made the contribution minimum change from per donor to per seat in the club last year, it was to stifle certain abuses that were taking place.  I could lay down one donation, buy two seats, but effectively have rights to four seats every game at cut-rate prices.  People (rightfully) didn't think that was fair, so they changed the policy.  

All of this, in my eyes, is disposable income expenditures on a recreational pursuit.  Some day, I may feel that the expense outweighs the benefit of recreation enjoyed.  If that day arrives, I will either downgrade my seating situation or I will decide that it simply isn't worth it, and I will quietly walk away. Same as I did with cable television nearly a decade ago.  

People wanted RV gone and got what they wanted.  Now Wren is running things differently for better or for worse.  To expect anything else would be futile. 

There are still a number of people out there who for whatever reason have such a deep seated loathing for all things UNT athletics, that Wren could be caught taking a piss in the student center men's room as opposed to his allocated private office gold plated latrine, and it would cause rage induced aneurysms. 

None of this is a birthright to alumni.  Like at all.  It is a choice -- you either think it's worth it or you don't.  That's it.  

It you're experiencing near daily rage induced aneurysms, I'd maybe think you don't consider it worth it, and I'd be ok with that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2

Anybody get an interpretation on the new parking?  I have always gotten a black lot parking pass with my Club Seats.  Is this going away?

Spaces in the reserved parking lot for football games will be available starting with a $3,000 Mean Green Scholarship Fund donation. Blue lot spots will be available for a $300 donation. Single-game passes to the Blue lot will be available for purchase to the general public.

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Anybody get an interpretation on the new parking?  I have always gotten a black lot parking pass with my Club Seats.  Is this going away?

Spaces in the reserved parking lot for football games will be available starting with a $3,000 Mean Green Scholarship Fund donation. Blue lot spots will be available for a $300 donation. Single-game passes to the Blue lot will be available for purchase to the general public.

I always got red/blue with my club seats.  I believe the black lot was something along the lines of $1,000 or $2,000 (I don't recall the exact amount), so it looks like they raised the minimum for that.  

I anticipate the red/blue lot is going to be considerably more crowded next year as former black lot space holders and the general public trickle in.  I'm gonna have to make effort to show up early so as to avoid the shithouse that is entry on Bonnie Brae.  Either that, or I'll decide to have a little verbal sparring fun with yellowjackets at the North Texas Blvd entry who don't seem to understand that red and blue parking passes are exactly the same thing. 

Edited by oldguystudent

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenEngineer said:

You are receiving down votes because you are the guy who constantly harps on "not settling" and "#oldenton", and is tired of "excuses" for everything that isn't first class and P5 worthy.  

However, as soon as someone asks you to help pay for those things, suddenly you have plenty of excuses of why it is not fair to ask you to pay for it.  That is the most #olddenton thing ever.  It is the dictionary definition of #OldDenton.  

I don't care about -1's. I don't care about this increase in prices either because it doesn't pertain to me. But don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. Like, don't grab at people's wallet and then say it's not a money grab. Say what he said, such as wanting to be at the market value of our very peers and leave it alone. Again, this boost doesn't affect me at all. 

• Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Like, don't grab at people's wallet and then say it's not a money grab. 

So asking a customer who is interested in the product and in convinced the product should be high grade is a money grab.  

But forcing the students, many of who aren't interested in athletics at all, to pay a higher fee is not a money grab?  

Edited by MeanGreenEngineer
  • Upvote 2