127. Liberty

123. Rice

117. Old Dominion

105. UTSA

101. Southern Miss

97. UAB

93. SMU

84. Louisiana Tech

61. North Texas. The Mean Green have gone from 1-11 to 5-8 to 9-5 over the past three seasons, with impressive growth on offense led by coach Seth Littrell. They get back 4,000-yard passer Mason Fine and most of their receiving corps, making them a Conference USA contender again.

59. Arkansas.

44. Florida Atlantic

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/265299454/early-college-football-rankings-130-fbs-2018

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

To put this in perspective of just how much the improvement SL and company have brought here, this list has us 11th overall in the G5s. Three years ago, as SL got hired we were dead last on most lists of worst programs in America. That is absolutely insane...

Insane is an understatement! Chief stay healthy my friend! GMG 

Good this means that next year, no excuses for close games since we are significantly better (according to the national media and some on here) than everyone but 2 teams... Means every game outside of FAU and Ark are vs significantly worse teams and games we should flat out dominate, time to put the pedal to the metal and run some teams out of Apogee.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

2 spots away from AR?

I don’t want to hear about how we can’t win that game.

This isn't an impossible game, But again, we can't make mistakes - Arkansas has a lot more depth at every position and we just can't come back from a lot of mistakes. 

But we are "two spots away from Arkansas" in an article from a website that is the secondary feed to MLB.com. Not sure how much trust to put into the entire website and pre-Spring rankings are usually wild ass guesses. Still, I'd rather they guess we'll be good rather than we'll be bad!

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

This isn't an impossible game, But again, we can't make mistakes - Arkansas has a lot more depth at every position and we just can't come back from a lot of mistakes. 

But we are "two spots away from Arkansas" in an article from a website that is the secondary feed to MLB.com. Not sure how much trust to put into the entire website and pre-Spring rankings are usually wild ass guesses. Still, I'd rather they guess we'll be good rather than we'll be bad!

I'm certainly not insinuating this is some kind of official Sportswriters/Coaches poll or something... but the perception is there.

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Good this means that next year, no excuses for close games since we are significantly better (according to the national media and some on here) than everyone but 2 teams... Means every game outside of FAU and Ark are vs significantly worse teams and games we should flat out dominate, time to put the pedal to the metal and run some teams out of Apogee.

There can be a myriad of excuses for every game played.   Just win, and don't get murdered in the losses, and I'll be happy.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

2 spots away from AR?

I don’t want to hear about how we can’t win that game.

Well, get ready to hear it.  If the team that played Troy shows up... we wont.

I want to win this game, trust me... but we need to grow up this offseason if we want to beat an SEC team, let alone, SMU. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, MrStrange18 said:

Well, get ready to hear it.  If the team that played Troy shows up... we wont.

I want to win this game, trust me... but we need to grow up this offseason if we want to beat an SEC team, let alone, SMU. 

We're going to pound SMU at Apogee.   That team is in disarray.  Did you see what LATech did to them in Frisco?   Half the team is pissed about the selection of their HC.  Sutton AND Quinn, & Lawler are gone.  NT will show no mercy.  It's gonna be a bloodbath.
The reason AR is winnable is because of their offensive transition from B1G-style ground/pound behind a humongous line to Morris' Spread system.  There are going to be some personnel issues there.   If our defense can be somewhat-improved, this will be a very good game.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

To put this in perspective of just how much the improvement SL and company have brought here, this list has us 11th overall in the G5s. Three years ago, as SL got hired we were dead last on most lists of worst programs in America. That is absolutely insane...

But, we didn't win by enough points!!! :omg:

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'll take 8-10 wins, all by 1 point if that is the way they play out.  We are not to a point to where style points count.....we just need the wins...

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I'll take 8-10 wins, all by 1 point if that is the way they play out.  We are not to a point to where style points count.....we just need the wins...

Sign me up for ten 1-point wins. I'll definitely have to start lisinopril by week 4 or 5, but sign me up for it anyway. 

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I love the adrenaline of a tight game going down to the wire....I prefer to win, but love a tight game either way

I don't mind the whoopings applied to Rice/UTEP either.   
I just don't enjoy when teams that are on our level (even though better than us) beat us by 30+.   I don't mind losing to superior teams... just not in the way we lost 4 of them last year (Iowa game was expected.  SMU, FAUx2 & Troy were not).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't mind the whoopings applied to Rice/UTEP either.   
I just don't enjoy when teams that are on our level (even though better than us) beat us by 30+.   I don't mind losing to superior teams... just not in the way we lost 4 of them last year (Iowa game was expected.  SMU, FAUx2 & Troy were not).

Yes. This needs to be hemmed up. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Sign me up for ten 1-point wins. I'll definitely have to start lisinopril by week 4 or 5, but sign me up for it anyway. 

I'd rather take 8 1-point wins and two blow the doors off the other team wins (UTSA & SMU)

We need to stop this who settling and being fine with single digit wins, I get it we did great this past year but we got destroyed way more than any 9 win team did last year... The reasons why FAU was getting votes in the Top 25 was because they destroyed teams.. 10 wins is awesome to say hey look we improved again, and to continue showing HS coaches and recruits UNT has turned around but again if you want to be taken serious, go out and dominate. 

I will take a 1 point win vs Arkansas, FAU and SMU because they are viewed as programs “above us”, but the likes of UAB, LT, ODU, etc need to be beat downs. Win with style and that is how you impress recruits, fans, and coaches. Go out and put up 60+ on a someone and win by 30+ like FAU did to us and UNT will start popping up on some peoples radar for a school to watch.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 12

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We need to stop this who settling and being fine with single digit wins, I get it we did great this past year but we got destroyed way more than any 9 win team did last year... The reasons why FAU was getting votes in the Top 25 was because they destroyed teams.. 10 wins is awesome to say hey look we improved again, and to continue showing HS coaches and recruits UNT has turned around but again if you want to be taken serious, go out and dominate. 

I will take a 1 point win vs Arkansas, FAU and SMU because they are viewed as programs “above us”, but the likes of UAB, LT, ODU, etc need to be beat downs. Win with style and that is how you impress recruits, fans, and coaches. Go out and put up 60+ on a someone and win by 30+ like FAU did to us and UNT will start popping up on some peoples radar for a school to watch.

Bill-Murray-Ok.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Bill-Murray-Ok.gif

We play 4 very soft teams (Liberty, UTEP, Rice, I-Word).. This slate of games is when UNT should be blowing people out and getting onto the radar of the national media.. I’m sorry but if Arkansas struggles, SMU struggles our toughest opponent will be FAU who will also be in a struggling CUSA conference. FAU took a number of schools out back and beat down them down and still was not ranked nor got a significant number of votes.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We play 4 very soft teams (Liberty, UTEP, Rice, I-Word).. This slate of games is when UNT should be blowing people out and getting onto the radar of the national media.. I’m sorry but if Arkansas struggles, SMU struggles our toughest opponent will be FAU who will also be in a struggling CUSA conference. FAU took a number of schools out back and beat down them down and still was not ranked nor got a significant number of votes.

Just be happy with wins. This program has been down for a long time and expecting that we win games by big margins in more than half of our games is not where this program realistically is. SL has made leaps in a short amount of time, but being a dominant team is not realistic given where we are and where we have come from. We just don't have the depth to dominate every opponent. Let's see how this year pans out and where things are and consider that for next year. Realistically, we should have bigger wins in more games this year, but not as frequently as you demand.

Comparing us to FAU is not a fair comparison. Their previous coach didn't succeed, not because he couldn't recruit, but because he was lost in game planning and game day execution. The team when Kiffin took over was far ahead of where we were when SL took over.

Not sure why getting votes is so important to you and why you are surprised that FAU didn't get many votes. In order for a G5 school to get votes, you either need to be undefeated late in the season with a win over a respected P5, or have a recent past history of success. FAU didn't meet those requirements. The voting has only a mild correlation with on the field results, and that is exacerbated when you are a G5.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

giphy (1).gif

• Haha 1