Free Throws

Shark84

I looked up last year's free throw percentage for Woolridge and Lawson and saw where both are shooting worse this year than last. I know these percentages for last season are for the entire year but it's hard to understand how they get worse when they have had a whole off-season to work on a weakness. Woolridge shot 57% last year and is currently at 55%. Lawson shot 59% last year and is at 52% now. Some of that may be part of the wrist injury but they have got to get better this summer. You usually can't fix your shot during the season. It takes hours in the gym. Some may be confidence but guys that handle the ball as much as they do have to get better at the line. I have confidence that McCasland will get it corrected next year. Go Mean Greeen.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I think they're just bad free throw shooters. They've gone down, but not dramatically. Free throw shooting is a stat where numbers don't typically go up by huge amounts over the course of a college career. Scouts also see it as more indicative of how good a shooter the player is than three-point shooting percentage, which can fluctuate more, especially with guys who don't take a lot.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Honestly, I think they're just bad free throw shooters. They've gone down, but not dramatically. Free throw shooting is a stat where numbers don't typically go up by huge amounts over the course of a college career. Scouts also see it as more indicative of how good a shooter the player is than three-point shooting percentage, which can fluctuate more, especially with guys who don't take a lot.

It would be interesting to see how they shot in HS. Your right, it isn't something that will probably improve drastically, but it can get better. I heard Hank say that Woolridge was working on putting more arc on his free throws. 

• Upvote 1

I think you can chalk up the lack of improvement to 2 big things.

1) they were learning a new system over the summer and more than likely didnt practice free throws as much do to this.

2) A.J. has been battling the wrist injury and Ryan is not only playing 40 minutes a game, but also having to bring the ball down and facilitate those entire 40 minutes.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

I think you can chalk up the lack of improvement to 2 big things.

1) they were learning a new system over the summer and more than likely didnt practice free throws as much do to this.

2) A.J. has been battling the wrist injury and Ryan is not only playing 40 minutes a game, but also having to bring the ball down and facilitate those entire 40 minutes.  

1.) No

2.) Maybe. No.

Most used statement - "learning a new system". Its an excuse that doesn't hold up here. They aren't learning some elaborate way of playing basketball that they cant get in the gym and shoot on their own. 

Its possible that Lawson's wrist injury is bothering his free throw shooting. Woolridge's mins and walking the ball up are not hurting his free throw %. 

If you struggle shooting period, you struggle shooting free throws. Rhythm, muscle memory, confidence, form.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

1.) No

2.) Maybe. No.

Most used statement - "learning a new system". Its an excuse that doesn't hold up here. They aren't learning some elaborate way of playing basketball that they cant get in the gym and shoot on their own. 

Its possible that Lawson's wrist injury is bothering his free throw shooting. Woolridge's mins and walking the ball up are not hurting his free throw %. 

If you struggle shooting period, you struggle shooting free throws. Rhythm, muscle memory, confidence, form.

free throws are a basic skill learned early in basketball.  You cant blame bad free throw % on learning a new system....free throws didn't change....ever.  Same height goal, same distance from the stripe....lack of concentration/confidence/practice......  It is the same shot ALWAYS

• Upvote 2

Free throwing shooting percentage can improve.  The player needs to put in the time and effort.  It isn't as much fun as jacking up 3's, dunking, putting on a dribbling exhibition, etc...  It is a basic fundamental skill, the type that don't get enough attention from players today because they aren't flashy and they don't make people "ooh" and "ahh."

Years ago, the Dallas Mavericks were a very poor FT shooting team and then they brought in a coach that specialized in FT shooting, I believe his name was Boren, and the team should great improvement.  I worked at their practice facility just prior to Cuban purchasing the team, and what stood out to me was the time Nowitski put in to FT shooting at the end of every practice.

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

1.) No

2.) Maybe. No.

1) Wasn't making an excuse.   Giving my reason based on an opinion.  That opinion is, these guys are only going to do so much basketball practice during their off time, not more, not less.  We as fans may not like that, but i believe it to be true.  If Players A and B are going to spend 15 hours a week practicing basketball over the summer and decide that learning the new offense and defense of the new coach is more important than FT's then that is what is going to happen.  

2) Walking the ball up the court?  Have you seen Wooldrige play this season.  That kid is just about maximum effort for 40 minutes a night.  If you think that isn't affecting his numbers then your nuts. Top that off with the effort that McCasland demands on Defense as well and he is having to learn to play the game much more tired then he probably has ever had to do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

1) Wasn't making an excuse.   Giving my reason based on an opinion.  That opinion is, these guys are only going to do so much basketball practice during their off time, not more, not less.  We as fans may not like that, but i believe it to be true.  If Players A and B are going to spend 15 hours a week practicing basketball over the summer and decide that learning the new offense and defense of the new coach is more important than FT's then that is what is going to happen.  

2) Walking the ball up the court?  Have you seen Wooldrige play this season.  That kid is just about maximum effort for 40 minutes a night.  If you think that isn't affecting his numbers then your nuts. Top that off with the effort that McCasland demands on Defense as well and he is having to learn to play the game much more tired then he probably has ever had to do.

These guys aren't going to spend 15 hours learning a new offense or defense. This isn't football. Sure there are a few coaches out there who run a ton of sets, but even then your not working on it 15 hours a week. Your time in the summer is working on your game. Your working on where are you going to get shots in that offense. Work on dribbling. Working on passing. If you struggle at free throws and you know your going to get more than 2 a game then your working on Free Throws. Good players set their own practice routines in the offseason that attacks all areas of their game. 

I've watched every minute of every game. Woolridge does give great effort, but your acting like he is pushing the ball for 40 mins. Non stop fast break.  

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

These guys aren't going to spend 15 hours learning a new offense or defense. This isn't football. Sure there are a few coaches out there who run a ton of sets, but even then your not working on it 15 hours a week. Your time in the summer is working on your game. Your working on where are you going to get shots in that offense. Work on dribbling. Working on passing. If you struggle at free throws and you know your going to get more than 2 a game then your working on Free Throws. Good players set their own practice routines in the offseason that attacks all areas of their game. 

I've watched every minute of every game. Woolridge does give great effort, but your acting like he is pushing the ball for 40 mins. Non stop fast break.  

Woolridge is up 8 minutes per game over last year and 9 minutes per game in Conference.  His overall FG%, 2P%, 3P%, and FT% are all down, coincidence?, i think not.  

Not to mention, he leads CUSA in minutes played.  

Edited by GreenN'walinsVet
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Woolridge is up 8 minutes per game over last year and 9 minutes per game in Conference.  His overall FG%, 2P%, 3P%, and FT% are all down, coincidence?, i think not.  

He doesn't lead CUSA in minutes played.

He has already taken more shots in all those categories than he did last year. 

The four guys who are averaging more mins per game are all better free throw shooters then him. Yeah he is doing more. No doubt. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

He doesn't lead CUSA in minutes played.

He has already taken more shots in all those categories than he did last year. 

The four guys who are averaging more mins per game are all better free throw shooters then him. Yeah he is doing more. No doubt. 

5a6b916b51036_ScreenShot2018-01-26at2_35_52PM.png.3418640e58ff3c845d715981f23419c6.png5a6b91771e6e1_ScreenShot2018-01-26at2_35_43PM.png.7cfb7f32aa44b2629d814bb312d7106c.png

Of course he is going to take more shots when he averages 8-9 minutes more a game.  Doesn't change the fact that his % is down though.  

Again, not arguing that he was a good FT shooter to start with, He wasn't, but I believe it stands to reason that him playing considerable more minutes is a factor on his poor % getting worse.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Again, not arguing that he was a good FT shooter to start with, He wasn't, but I believe it stands to reason that him playing considerable more minutes is a factor on his poor % getting worse.

I think to back that up, you would need to look at when he is taking those shots and when he misses. If you see that he is missing more FTs late in games, then your argument may have more validity. 

1 hour ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

IMHO, too much is out in to the time played. These are kids/young men. They play two games a week. There are kids that play more pick up ball than that. They are young and can handle it. 

21 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

I think to back that up, you would need to look at when he is taking those shots and when he misses. If you see that he is missing more FTs late in games, then your argument may have more validity. 

Against USM He missed 6 free throws. 2 in the 1st half. 2 early 2nd half, and 2 with 5 mins to go. 

Against La Tech he made all 3 of his free throws under 5 mins to go.