Hope Y'all are ready to open up your wallets!

MeanGreenTexan

3 hours ago, Moobs said:

I believe the concern may be whether or not Wren will choose to continue it.

I don't think this is in danger at all. John is a good supporter and man. I think the confusion i John has less than half those seats. While the system isn't perfect, the ones he has are often filled. But the remaining seats aren't filled. I'm hopeful the athletic department will explore options to fill those others. Young alumni seems like the right target. Families and a lot of older fans probably don't want to be in the middle of intoxicated college students yelling (dare I say) some inappropriate things.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Moobs said:

I believe the concern may be whether or not Wren will choose to continue it.

How it should be done is the “young” alumni package should be those seats and have them discounted, aka have John buy them and then he can resale them for x amount but allow for the Ticket office to sale them or market them

Sooner or later this was going to happen. It the price you pay for winning. I don’t believe with the price increases selling out apogee will be set back due to the low demand for north Texas football. But if we keep constantly have wining seasons with a few championship games played at home we should sell out  

• Upvote 1

Yes, we have had the best season of UNT football we have had in years... but to me it seems like jumping the gun on raising season ticket prices/donations like this.  

Can you imagine the response there will be if we dont match this season's wins next year?  I think a hike like this would have made more sense if we we had at least back to back winning seasons, not just one. 

Yes, people are excited about UNT football, but maybe spend one more year getting them in the gates and in love with the product on the field before trying to see if they will pony up the $$. 

I am all in for the price increase, but we better keep winning. Is that wrong for me to think that? 

GMG

Edited by MrStrange18
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

15 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Yes, we have had the best season of UNT football we have had in years... but to me it seems like jumping the gun on raising season ticket prices/donations like this.  

Can you imagine the response there will be if we dont match this season's wins next year?  I think a hike like this would have made more sense if we we had at least back to back winning seasons, not just one. 

Yes, people are excited about UNT football, but maybe spend one more year getting them in the gates and in love with the product on the field before trying to see if they will pony up the $$. 

I am all in for the price increase, but we better keep winning. Is that wrong for me to think that? 

GMG

No, it's not wrong for you to think. Price increase or not. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2018 at 7:49 AM, MrStrange18 said:

GMG

Look on the bright side, this ticket price increase will allow us to better fund coaching salaries and the IPF. Whether we win next season or not, those things are beneficial to the future of the program. Many on here (not singling out you  @MrStrange18)   think it’s no problem for the students to pony up a few hundred extra bucks per semester but find it laughable for the alumni to come up with a few extra hundred bucks per year. Do those of you in that group think it would be better to wait to pass the student fee until we have had back-to-back winning seasons?

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2018 at 3:43 PM, Cerebus said:

32Y8nbE.gif

Time to see if there are enough fans to make it to the next level or not.  

This scares the hell out of me.  Because my experience with season tickets did not go well.  I couldn’t give my extra season ticket away for most home games.  Even though I attend every home game and our games on the road at SMU I just can’t justify buying a seat no one beyond the MGC, GMG, or Alumni Association would want.  I am very worried about the long term viability of our FBS level program if we aren’t in a P5 conference or regularly getting Texas region P5 teams into Apogee.  The greed in NCAA is pushing the envelope toward cannibalization. If you cutting off masses of potential fans who are future alumni of G5 schools with your competition rules it will destroy long term health of the game.  The NFL is the league for casual fans.  That is a league of 32 teams on equal footing.  The NFL figured out that competition was good for the league as a whole and the more valuable franchise benifit from the parity as well over the long term.  As these conferences have cannibalized each other and made it more difficult G5 teams to get P5 teams in their stadiums I have grown less interested in the game as a whole.  The all SEC final was great for fans from the Deep South but 3/4 of the country don’t have a reason to care.  And I a rabid College Football fan didn’t watch.  And I bet I wasn’t alone.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

This scares the hell out of me.  Because my experience with season tickets did not go well.  I couldn’t give my extra season ticket away for most home games.  Even though I attend every home game and our games on the road at SMU I just can’t justify buying a seat no one beyond the MGC, GMG, or Alumni Association would want.  I am very worried about the long term viability of our FBS level program if we aren’t in a P5 conference or regularly getting Texas region P5 teams into Apogee.  The greed in NCAA is pushing the envelope toward cannibalization. If you cutting off masses of potential fans who are future alumni of G5 schools with your competition rules it will destroy long term health of the game.  The NFL is the league for casual fans.  That is a league of 32 teams on equal footing.  The NFL figured out that competition was good for the league as a whole and the more valuable franchise benifit from the parity as well over the long term.  As these conferences have cannibalized each other and made it more difficult G5 teams to get P5 teams in their stadiums I have grown less interested in the game as a whole.  The all SEC final was great for fans from the Deep South but 3/4 of the country don’t have a reason to care.  And I a rabid College Football fan didn’t watch.  And I bet I wasn’t alone.

too bad, it was a great game.  If you have lost interest in football, no big deal.  But don't let what may happen someday down the road effect your passion for the team you really want to support.  We need you

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I am on board with most to all of this. As a fan and alum of a university/program at this level I have always kind of had that thought in my mind, "What is truly the plateau for us?". Well, if FAU and UCF's seasons don't spell it out for us, I am not sure anything will. Their seasons shined a very bright light on what we are striving for. And to me, right now, it's a whole lot of nothing at all. UCF is in unarguably the most competitive G5 conference. They pistol whipped most of their schedule and won games the way they had to win them in others. Nevertheless, they didn't even sniff the conversation of being a top 4 team in the country. FAU wrecked havoc in our conference and was rewarded with a bowl game vs like 7-6 Akron Zips. The P5 has a stranglehold on this whole ordeal and it just kind of makes CFB for us at this level feel...meh. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

I am on board with most to all of this. As a fan and alum of a university/program at this level I have always kind of had that thought in my mind, "What is truly the plateau for us?". Well, if FAU and UCF's seasons don't spell it out for us, I am not sure anything will. Their seasons shined a very bright light on what we are striving for. And to me, right now, it's a whole lot of nothing at all. UCF is in unarguably the most competitive G5 conference. They pistol whipped most of their schedule and won games the way they had to win them in others. Nevertheless, they didn't even sniff the conversation of being a top 4 team in the country. FAU wrecked havoc in our conference and was rewarded with a bowl game vs like 7-6 Akron Zips. The P5 has a stranglehold on this whole ordeal and it just kind of makes CFB for us at this level feel...meh. 

They were in the same boat we were in.
They had an invite in their hand, and were waiting on another.   How embarrassing would it have been for that one they were waiting for not to come, and the C-USA champs sat at home when there was a bowl game in their own home stadium?   Meanwhile, Judy & Co. just sat around twiddling their thumbs or something... certainly not going to bat for their two best programs.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

They were in the same boat we were in.
They had an invite in their hand, and were waiting on another.   How embarrassing would it have been for that one they were waiting for not to come, and the C-USA champs sat at home when there was a bowl game in their own home stadium?   Meanwhile, Judy & Co. just sat around twiddling their thumbs or something... certainly not going to bat for their two best programs.

This is certainly a problem. In the same token, I think that our CUSA staff may not feel empowered to make a bold move. They may see the writing on the wall and decided not to make empty public statements and just take what is given. To me, it's just the monopolization of CFB coming full circle. Nevertheless, a conference commissioner has to put his/her neck on the line for the greater good of the conference. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

When you look at places like Houston, our season tickets have been a steal. 2017_TDECU_Seating_Map.pdf

I think the new system will keep people from pooling their money to game the system on the MGC donation. If I need two tickets and my buddy needs two tickets, we save $500 by buying under one name. This new way will eliminate that while making it easier on single and double ticket purchasers as far as donation requirements.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5

Its as simple as supply and demand.  I drove my family of five to Denton for 4 home games and held season tickets for the first time this year.  The cost of travel and the increase will likely prevent me from being a season ticket holder in the coming year.  I do understand the  thinking by the athletic department but I believe its a bit premature.  IMO it makes a lot of sense to do this next year if the seasons goes as planned.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

You have all probably heard of the business strategy to price where you want to be.  IF, a product is priced below the market value of a similar product, that product will seem to be inferior.  If price equally, it will seem to be on par, and if priced higher, value will be perceived as greater.  Sometimes, raising the price of something will generate a greater interest in that product...  I am sure that WB and team have produced market studies in like markets that justify this increase.  I don't see WB doing anything on a gut feeling of "let's try this" or my equivalent of "hold my beer".  I think this present group consisting of administration and AD have earned the respect of knowing what they are doing.  Let the professional do what they do, and we will/should do what fans do....

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

When you look at places like Houston, our season tickets have been a steal. 2017_TDECU_Seating_Map.pdf

I think the new system will keep people from pooling their money to game the system on the MGC donation. If I need two tickets and my buddy needs two tickets, we save $500 by buying under one name. This new way will eliminate that while making it easier on single and double ticket purchasers as far as donation requirements.

I'm glad that this will eliminate those who are taking advantage of the former system.

Really though, if the pricing structure quoted over the phone holds, the only folks who are taking it in the shorts here are 3+ person FAMILIES.   I assure you, my 4 tickets are not "gaming the system".  They're for 4 people in the same family unit.

As stated earlier, for those who are single-ticket or 2-ticket buyers in sections 206, 207 and 105, the price of their tickets just went DOWN.

I suppose I still don't understand why the MGC donation needs to be piggybacked on per-seat for football only.    Does this same pricing structure apply to basketball season ticket holders?

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

You have all probably heard of the business strategy to price where you want to be.  IF, a product is priced below the market value of a similar product, that product will seem to be inferior.  If price equally, it will seem to be on par, and if priced higher, value will be perceived as greater.  Sometimes, raising the price of something will generate a greater interest in that product...  I am sure that WB and team have produced market studies in like markets that justify this increase.  I don't see WB doing anything on a gut feeling of "let's try this" or my equivalent of "hold my beer".  I think this present group consisting of administration and AD have earned the respect of knowing what they are doing.  Let the professional do what they do, and we will/should do what fans do....

The Atlanta Falcons model on concession pricing shows otherwise. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22212592/atlanta-falcons-drop-prices-make-more-money-mercedes-benz-stadium-concessions

Yes, at this point it does relate to ticket and/or required donations.   No way should current season ticket holders be asked to pay more for their same seats.  Tickets prices as a whole in areas of our stadium that aren’t typical (if ever) occupied should have a lower price point.

We need butts in the stands regardless of price paid.  These said butts will spend money on concessions and maybe even apparel.  More importantly our players and potential recruits want to see fans.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I will never understand why some of you are TOO GOOD to pay $240 to seat your family of four in the family section. Unbelievable that your line of thinking is “if I can’t get my 50 yard line seats I’m entitled to at the same price I’ve always paid, I just won’t go.”

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I will never understand why some of you are TOO GOOD to pay $240 to seat your family of four in the family section. Unbelievable that your line of thinking is “if I can’t get my 50 yard line seats I’m entitled to at the same price I’ve always paid, I just won’t go.”

Has anyone said that?

btw... my seats are on the 35.  I wish I could sit in 206/207!

The family section is certainly on the table.  I’d rather spend more on MY seats though.  Just wrestling with it on the board for you all to see.  I can’t imagine I’m the only one.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

On 1/26/2018 at 7:01 AM, Mike Jackson said:

Damn good post. But expect to be told that the status quo is just fine inside of 5 posts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

On 1/26/2018 at 7:09 AM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

too bad, it was a great game.  If you have lost interest in football, no big deal.  But don't let what may happen someday down the road effect your passion for the team you really want to support.  We need you

Lol!!! It was the very next post that wasn’t Mike Jackson. And from a “reliable” source. 

So so so UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 6

On 1/26/2018 at 11:15 AM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I think this present group consisting of administration and AD have earned the respect of knowing what they are doing.  Let the professional do what they do, and we will/should do what fans do....

Based on what?  Last year’s student section attendance was terrible.  It was markedly worse than 2016.  What caused that?  We already don’t have great attendance on the alumni side and this increase has the potential to make it worse.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 4