Hope Y'all are ready to open up your wallets!

MeanGreenTexan

47 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is premature and frankly uncalled for given the manner of how the season ended. 

For the normal fan that is logical thinking..

For the fans that are happy with the results last year (the blow outs and last second wins) its totally acceptable because Apogee will be packed next year when we go 13-1! 

30 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Doesn't demand have to go up for prices to go up?

How can you raise prices when attendance is already not good?

You have been missing it on here, since SL has increased the win total both years he has been here by 4 wins each season, people are pumped for us to go 13-1 and be ranked! 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Doesn't demand have to go up for prices to go up?

How can you raise prices when attendance is already not good?

This is a d*** slap to the face of the faithful followers. Because that is the exact demographic this will affect. It's the athletic department arrogantly thinking that their loyal followers will not waiver and they're banking on that while foolishly neglecting the new consumer. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 5

I'm good with it...we need to step up and pay more for what we have...ill gladly renew my seats in 106 that I've had since apogee opened. it' our team...if our students can have a raising fee, so can us alumni that enjoy being there every home game

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll reserve judgement. The athletic department hasn't announced anything. My guess is there will significant communication when they do. My take is this. I'm not excited to pay more but I want this fall to be the expectation. I'm tired of a department winning percentage that hovers around 40% over our history. Here's what matters to me. What is our cost relative to other teams in the league and group of 5. 

And currently, a small percentage of the stadium requires any donation. There are always VERY affordable season and single game options. Some people want to sit on the 50 and not pay more but say they want to be good. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. And as the team improves, the demand for seats on the 50 will ensure they sell.

And to those who say, don't raise prices until the stadium is full. That's dumb logic. Nobody in CUSA and most of the G5 don't approach selling out. But if CUSA teams or SMU get a lot more for the their seats, then they have more money and will have more resources. 

If tickets jump drastically all over the stadium, I won't be too fired up. If the increase is a reasonable amount that is in line with similar schools, I'll pay it. I won't be happy but I understand everyone (yes, you students!!) has to do their part. 

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is a d*** slap to the face of the faithful followers. Because that is the exact demographic this will affect. It's the athletic department arrogantly thinking that their loyal followers will not waiver and they're banking on that while foolishly neglecting the new consumer. 

Shocked that it is ok to expect everyone else to pay more, except for the fans.  Shocked.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

I'll reserve judgement. The athletic department hasn't announced anything. My guess is there will significant communication when they do. My take is this. I'm not excited to pay more but I want this fall to be the expectation. I'm tired of a department winning percentage that hovers around 40% over our history. Here's what matters to me. What is our cost relative to other teams in the league and group of 5. 

And currently, a small percentage of the stadium requires any donation. There are always VERY affordable season and single game options. Some people want to sit on the 50 and not pay more but say they want to be good. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. And as the team improves, the demand for seats on the 50 will ensure they sell.

And to those who say, don't raise prices until the stadium is full. That's dumb logic. Nobody in CUSA and most of the G5 don't approach selling out. But if CUSA teams or SMU get a lot more for the their seats, then they have more money and will have more resources. 

If tickets jump drastically all over the stadium, I won't be too fired up. If the increase is a reasonable amount that is in line with similar schools, I'll pay it. I won't be happy but I understand everyone (yes, you students!!) has to do their part. 

I am with you here.  I will wait to see what gets officially announced before I start freaking out. Of course prices will go up.  I just hope its not so drastic that the fan/alumni on the fence will be turned off from checking out the Mean Green in 2018

15 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

I am with you here.  I will wait to see what gets officially announced before I start freaking out. Of course prices will go up.  I just hope its not so drastic that the fan/alumni on the fence will be turned off from checking out the Mean Green in 2018

Of course the fans that are on the fence won't be affected, because fans "on the fence" aren't season ticket holders.  They're single-game buyers.   

An on the fence fan may show up to the SMU game.   Win, and maybe they are more interested.   Lose, and they're not coming back this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

It is. $200 a seat in 105.

Actually they way they are doing it now makes more sense. It used to be like $250 would get up to 4 seats and then $500 would get up to 8 or something. So depending on how many seats you had it could have been a deal (say 8) or a lot more (say 5) in the same seats.

Per seat makes more sense. Another thing RV did wrong.

Either way though it is going up but it at least makes sense now.

Actually, I need to correct this. It used to be $500 for up to 4 in Section 105 and $1,000 for up to 8.

So if you had 5 seats you paid $200 per seat but if you had 8 you only paid $125 on average.

They raised it to $200 per seat regardless now in that section. So they basically went to the highest end of the average and went with that. My opinion on this is it is too soon and should have been more like the low end of $125 or a slight bump to say $150 a seat.

But, I still think it makes more sense.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Actually, I need to correct this. It used to be $500 for up to 4 in Section 105 and $1,000 for up to 8.

So if you had 5 seats you paid $200 per seat but if you had 8 you only paid $125 on average.

They raised it to $200 per seat regardless now in that section. So they basically went to the highest end of the average and went with that. My opinion on this is it is too soon and should have been more like the low end of $125 or a slight bump to say $150 a seat.

But, I still think it makes more sense.

If you had 1 seat it was $500 per seat and if you had 2 seats it was $250 per seat. My hunch is that the majority/average season ticket holders in 105, 206, 207 have less than 4 seats each so the impact will be mixed.

If prices go up its not to raise attendance, it's to raise revenue.  The majority of our problems can be laid at the feet of the lack of revenue.  We need to hire assistants who are fire-one-hundo recruiters?  They cost money.  We need to make the ticket purchasing experience great? That costs money.   We need to promote our games and engage more alumni? That costs money.  We need to deliver a great online viewing experience?  That costs money.   Repeat x100.

The school has absolutely put a lot of money down to help improve athletics.  The students are paying a decent fee, whether they step through the gates or not.    It's time for the alumni to decide if they want to help keep us at the top level or not.

The clock is ticking. 

As soon as the B12 implodes all of CFB is going to be reshaped.  We will probably never be in a power conference, but there is going to be a culling of FBS into two groups.  One group is going to be the (probably 4) power conferences and the big boy G2/3 conferences.   The other is going to be the pretender G2/3 conferences who will in all but name be FCS.  In fact, if the P4 decides to keep adding more costs (like cost of attendance, more assistant coaches, unrestricted "coordinator" positions, etc) those pretenders might actually get forced down to FCS by lack of revenue.

12 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

If prices go up its not to raise attendance, it's to raise revenue.  The majority of our problems can be laid at the feet of the lack of revenue.  We need to hire assistants who are fire-one-hundo recruiters?  They cost money.  We need to make the ticket purchasing experience great? That costs money.   We need to promote our games and engage more alumni? That costs money.  We need to deliver a great online viewing experience?  That costs money.   Repeat x100.

The school has absolutely put a lot of money down to help improve athletics.  The students are paying a decent fee, whether they step through the gates or not.    It's time for the alumni to decide if they want to help keep us at the top level or not.

The clock is ticking. 

As soon as the B12 implodes all of CFB is going to be reshaped.  We will probably never be in a power conference, but there is going to be a culling of FBS into two groups.  One group is going to be the (probably 4) power conferences and the big boy G2/3 conferences.   The other is going to be the pretender G2/3 conferences who will in all but name be FCS.  In fact, if the P4 decides to keep adding more costs (like cost of attendance, more assistant coaches, unrestricted "coordinator" positions, etc) those pretenders might actually get forced down to FCS by lack of revenue.

I can't draw up a scenario where we get put in a power conference or the highest tier G5 conference over other programs/programs that are already there. And the P4 will continue to add costs, so that's not an if, but rather a how much over how long. 

I always like to know the end all. What is the realistic absolute best case scenario for our football program? That's the question to be asked and answered. The next question in need of asking at the macro and micro levels...Is it worth it? If the answer is yes, then great. At least I know the actual vision of the university's leadership. If it's not, then the question has to be asked what is the next (sport or not) best window to our university on a national level?  

Right now, as it stands, the 'end all' for the CUSA Champion is a small time bowl vs the likes of Akron. I can say with confidence, no money of mine is worth that. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

No issue with them raising the required donation.  As Cerebus already stated, we need to raise more money.  I'm curious, though, if CUSA as a whole has raised ticket prices?  I thought CUSA games used to have a floor of $35/seat.  At $165/seat for 6 games we're not getting much of a discount---or incentive---for committing to the entire season.

I've had 4 seats in 208 (and the equivalent in Fouts) since 2001.  At no point has that section been even remotely close to half full--which leads to folks from around the stadium moving in from cheaper seats once the game starts.  Not sure how doubling the minimum donation for already empty seats is going to do anything but push more people to buy cheaper seats and just move over during the 1st quarter?  Of my original group from 2001, nearly all of them are cheap b@stards and don't believe they should have to pay anything for our games.  When they instituted the $250 donation nearly all of them dropped out altogether and just buy $10 walk up tickets. Of course they still sit in our section every game on those $10 wing zone seats.

Also---are these seats resold via ticketmaster or the AD on an individual game by game basis?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I went to private religious school my whole life.  

Middle school (Junior high in my day, kids) didn't have sports.

High school had intramural flag football and no interscholastic sports of any kind. 

College had (really, really, really bad) Division 1 basketball, but no football, never had it, never will.

So imagine my excitement when I stepped onto campus at UNT to enroll in grad school.  There was going to be a football team!  There would be beer!  And helmets!  And tackling!  And big stadiums! 

So in 2008, I wandered into Fouts, which having no other bar of comparison, I didn't mind, and I watched Todd Dodge, which having no other bar of comparison, I wondered how in the world anybody could be so consistently incompetent. 

But I had football!  And beer!  And really, really, really bad coaching to watch.  

Since then, we've got Apogee, and I've been pretty happy to have a place to go six times a year to drink BEER!, hang out with people, and watch football, and helmets, and tackling (ruled targeting if done by a player in green).  

And I've seen infinite ways for people to be pissed off about the whole thing.  Shitty stadium leads to not big enough stadium leads to we never sell out leads to our conference sucks leads to winning our conference isn't good enough leads to I'm paying too much but charge the students MOAR! 

So long as I can afford it, so long as there are games six times a year, I will attend, and I will enjoy it, leaving the high blood pressure and worries of national prestige to those who prioritize such things in their lives.  I'm too old to worry or care as to whether anybody is going to hire or fire me or take me on as their accountant or go on a date with me or whatever the hell else we can come up with because of the football team I follow (hint:  none of that ever happens. Ever). I'm here to enjoy myself, and I will, even when Liberty (shudder) comes to town. 

Don't know if this is targeting me, but I've consistently backed the students' concerns for rising costs, and I vehemently oppose charging them $20/hr, simply because "that's what TXSt & UTSA are charging".   No double-standard here.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Don't know if this is targeting me, but I've consistently backed the students' concerns for rising costs, and I vehemently oppose charging them $20/hr, simply because "that's what TXSt & UTSA are charging".   No double-standard here.

Not targeting you at all.  I don't recall you being in the "CHARGE THEM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!" camp ever.  In fact, not really targeting any individual, just kinda a zeitgeist beatdown right now after what I thought was a pretty great season. 

53 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

What is the realistic absolute best case scenario for our football program?

Disclaimer:  This is my own thinking and in now way reflects any insider information.

I think our realistic ceiling for a post B12 world is ending up with the B12 leftovers in a new "top of the non P4 world" conference.  Being in a conference with the likes of Texas Tech, Houston, Iowa St would be a pretty good spot.  A lot of those names would be old SWC or B12 names, and it would excite the fanbase.  

They are raising the prices on the most desirable seats in the house to a level commensurate with the going rate of the G5.

Obviously, if you cannot or will not pay for the increase either someone else will or they will go unsold in which case the department will reduce the price to a level at which someone will pay.

They are betting that the team that just went to the championship game will be good and the seats will be desirable. I think they are right. The good news is that there are lots of empty seats to choose from if you want to make the game but do not want pay the number they are asking for the best seats in the house.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

They are raising the prices on the most desirable seats in the house to a level commensurate with the going rate of the G5.

Obviously, if you cannot or will not pay for the increase either someone else will or they will go unsold in which case the department will reduce the price to a level at which someone will pay.

They are betting that the team that just went to the championship game will be good and the seats will be desirable. I think they are right. The good news is that there are lots of empty seats to choose from if you want to make the game but do not want pay the number they are asking for the best seats in the house.

IF  we give up our seats because of this hike, then the AD turns around and sells them for around the same price we were paying... or less, due to lack of demand, I would be absolutely livid.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

IF  we give up our seats because of this hike, then the AD turns around and sells them for around the same price we were paying... or less, due to lack of demand, I would be absolutely livid.

Well, I have some news for you that will make you absolutely livid then...

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

The clock is ticking. 

Couldn't agree more.

56 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Disclaimer:  This is my own thinking and in now way reflects any insider information.

I think our realistic ceiling for a post B12 world is ending up with the B12 leftovers in a new "top of the non P4 world" conference.  Being in a conference with the likes of Texas Tech, Houston, Iowa St would be a pretty good spot.  A lot of those names would be old SWC or B12 names, and it would excite the fanbase.  

I could get behind this 100%. If this is the goal, which there is no reason for it not to be, I wish our university and athletic leadership would be vocal about this. We need to be vocal like the AAC trying to squeeze themselves into the P5 and UCF claiming a national title. Holding "Giving Days" and boosting ticket prices are not going to get it done. I don't want to hear about champions and leaders, I want to hear about UNT being catapulted into relevance. But that's just me. 

But watching a damn good CUSA team night train the entire conference with ease and getting rewarded with a home bowl game vs the Akron Zips should be concerning for us all. 

• Thanks 1