Athletic fee referendum to be put to a re-vote

Skipper

2 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

If my daughter chooses to remain at UNT, it will be full ride, so I am therefore advocating for a $20,000 per semester hour student athletic fee.  They deserve to pay it.  Just don't raise my GMG contributions!!! 

Again, not directed at you.  I think you and I are very much on the same page in this. 

Full Ride?   Phhfff.   She's not invested.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hunter Green said:

So you think another $150 per semester really makes a difference?

For those who are having to finance college, that $150/semester *8 semesters = $1200.  Then add interest to that over the course of paying it off over several years...  And that $150/semester is more like $2000.   

So, yes. Yes it does make a difference.

19 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Cost of attendance this year was $22,901.54.  Let's assume no increases over four years.  Total cost of attendance $91,606.16. 

I see no reason why we can't heap another couple thousand on top of that.  

Yep, and as another UNT student and his alum parents told me this weekend, if we cared about sports, I’d be a Longhorn, Aggie, or Red Raider...we’d know what we were paying a higher sports fee for.

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Yep, and as another UNT student and his alum parents told me this weekend, if we cared about sports, I’d be a Longhorn, Aggie, or Red Raider...we’d know what we were paying a higher sports fee for.

There is always UT-Dallas, UTA, UNT-Dallas - they can make those hard choices.  I have no kids, but still pay taxes to support schools, never once used the student medical services, but had to pay fees to support the medical services at UNT...

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Pavlovs Eagle answered this already.  Plenty of good colleges that have the bare minimum in athletics.  Without football, I'm sure UTA would be a good choice.  Or, SFA, Lamar, or a host of other universities/colleges.

I don't think the current fee can be raised any higher than it is, adding to the mystery of why NT's athletic fee is tied to construction and limited.   Contrasted to TSSM and UTSA  enacted in the same time frame that don't have those restrictions and can be raised to the state maximum.  Maybe someone can ask RV about that.  

Raising the student fees is easy for all of us that don't have to pay them.   Let the students decide how important athletics are to them.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Are some of you really advocating for students to go to other schools because they don't like sports?   How myopic is that?

We want the best students at our University, regardless of their likes/dislikes.    If some extremely gifted musician wants to come to UNT, but hates football, I still want that extremely gifted student at UNT.   If some poor girl has a heart for children and wants to become an elementary teacher, yet could give a flip if UNT were 1-11 in football or 15-0 in football, I want her to come to UNT as well.

It's my understanding that UNT is able to raise the student athletics fee by 10% per year until it reaches a state-mandated maximum.   If that increase is put in front of the students to vote, expect some dissenting votes... but I don't believe the 10% increase REQUIRES a student vote, does it?

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Are some of you really advocating for students to go to other schools because they don't like sports?   How myopic is that?

We want the best students at our University, regardless of their likes/dislikes.    If some extremely gifted musician wants to come to UNT, but hates football, I still want that extremely gifted student at UNT.   If some poor girl has a heart for children and wants to become an elementary teacher, yet could give a flip if UNT were 1-11 in football or 15-0 in football, I want her to come to UNT as well.

It's my understanding that UNT is able to raise the student athletics fee by 10% per year until it reaches a state-mandated maximum.   If that increase is put in front of the students to vote, expect some dissenting votes... but I don't believe the 10% increase REQUIRES a student vote, does it?

This asks the ultimate question that I've been asking for a decade -- who does UNT wish to be?  I think there's a serious institutional identity crisis going on at the moment.  And yes, for the kids who are getting 1600s on their SATs, I promise that football has just about zero influence on their choice of education. 

• Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Than why are they having an election?  My understanding was the same as yours, but apparently it is not true.  It was reported that the 1% increase by the BOR was the only increase that could be enacted under the provision for the approved fee. 

There are a lot of threads on the approved athletic fee and it is still far from clear how this law is exactly interpreted.  

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

There are 40K, 50K students at UT and A&M and 30K + at Tech...

I would venture a large % of students at those universities don't care about sports either.....

probably more than half

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Than why are they having an election?  My understanding was the same as yours, but apparently it is not true.  It was reported that the 1% increase by the BOR was the only increase that could be enacted under the provision for the approved fee. 

There are a lot of threads on the approved athletic fee and it is still far from clear how this law is exactly interpreted.  

Because they want to get a larger than 10% increase so they have to send it to a student vote.. The smart thing would have been to do the 10% automatically this year (and potentially even last year if WB coulda gotten it done in time which I doubt). 

Cite what the increases would be used for and then use Donor money for coaches, etc 

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Thank that Jack@$$ Lee Jackson for this garbage and a weak BOR to scared to engage the chancellor at the time. Only school with this limitation.

• Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't think the current fee can be raised any higher than it is, adding to the mystery of why NT's athletic fee is tied to construction and limited.   Contrasted to TSSM and UTSA  enacted in the same time frame that don't have those restrictions and can be raised to the state maximum.  Maybe someone can ask RV about that.  

Raising the student fees is easy for all of us that don't have to pay them.   Let the students decide how important athletics are to them.  

I think the fee got put in place at each school in the ways their BOR and administration found acceptable. TX State and UTSA like athletics to represent their schools as the primary window to their universities. We don’t...and won’t...ever. It’s just how things go here. We love other educational and artistic endeavors. Always have, always will.

I don’t lose any sleep anymore on this. It’s just not what the majority of the UNT Family wants...

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 6

32 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I think the fee got put in place at each school in the ways their BOR and administration found acceptable. TX State and UTSA like athletics to represent their schools as the primary window to their universities. We don’t...and won’t...ever. It’s just how things go here. We love other educational and artistic endeavors. Always have, always will.

I don’t lose any sleep anymore on this. It’s just not what the majority of the UNT Family wants...

They can pump $100/hr into Athletics & that will never be what that school is known for.

low academics & gratuitous partying.

And poor UTSA.  They have no identity & I bet very few high school Juniors (the ones looking for their future educations) North of Waco even know they’re a school, let alone a FBS football school.

• Upvote 1