NCAA Transfer Rules could be changing

Harry

Would be a huge game changer for UNT athletics. Top metroplex kids who elect to sign with larger schools initially, would seriously consider UNT to transfer to instead of Texas FCS schools; where they don't sit. Would devastate FCS's.  I've often felt in the past that UNT would be (with current facilities) better off competing for national championship instead of being a bottom feeder in FBS. Once established as a National FCS power, it could more easily move back up than before.  

Man, I've feeling the groans now

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

59 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is stupid. We are now officially NFL 2.0. This is textbook free agency and will manifest more corruption than what is alreasy present. The G5's will be feasted on every. single. off-season. 

I mean honestly, how many guys do we have right now that a P5 school would even want? Not many. Now how many guys are sitting on a bench at A&M that could help us win. Probably quite a bit. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Just now, GMG24 said:

Maybe, no, maybe, maybe, no

All had P5 offers and performed here outside of English and Fine.. 

Fine I’m sure a P5 would take the chance I’m with how he had developed (even if erratic at times) and P5s would take a chance on English because of his size and explosiveness but injuries are the hold back.. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is stupid. We are now officially NFL 2.0. This is textbook free agency and will manifest more corruption than what is alreasy present. The G5's will be feasted on every. single. off-season. 

Gotta agree.  The transfers will work both ways y’all.  Guyton would get recruited by TCU & bolt.  

Very bad idea.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

This would be horrible for G5's, therefore it will probably happen.    Every good underclassmen will be recruited and many taken by the bigs.   Imagine NT losing Smart and Fine.  Yes, it will be easier to get the Bigs cast offs, but it is a very bad trade.     

This would cement the G5's to even a lower second class status.  The great players that the "powers" miss recruiting the first time will be available again and it will allow them to discard all those they recruited that are not significant contributors.      

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I would think this would be a good thing for G5s. Pick-up kids who would sit on a bench at a P5 school for 4 years after they figure out they aren't going to cut it at that level. Can work the other way too, but that seems like it would be less frequent than transferring down. 

Nope, this would be bad for G5s. Think about it: you are a kid who isn't sure whether you make it at a P5, but it turns out you are a great talent at a G5 and indeed say a great QB at for example Texas State. Don't you think youll get offers from schools like Texas and Oklahoma to go play there? And why wouldn't you just take those offers... after all, you don't get a penalty for doing so anymore.

For example: UNT took a risk on Mason Fine. Under such a system, wouldn't you think there is a risk that he would jump ship and take an offer from Okie State or similar?

Edited by outoftown
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cooley said:

Would be a huge game changer for UNT athletics. Top metroplex kids who elect to sign with larger schools initially, would seriously consider UNT to transfer to instead of Texas FCS schools; where they don't sit. Would devastate FCS's.  I've often felt in the past that UNT would be (with current facilities) better off competing for national championship instead of being a bottom feeder in FBS. Once established as a National FCS power, it could more easily move back up than before.  

Man, I've feeling the groans now

Dear gawd Cooly, North Texas dropped down several years ago and it was athletic program SUICIDE. Take a look back, it was a death sentence as bad as SMU's actual ncaa Death Sentence. Don't drink that cool-aid !

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Guyton, Fine, English, Bussey, Darden

So a starter at a school is going to transfer to face stiffer competition at a P5? There are more players at the P5 Level on the bench thinking they should be playing then G5 starters thinking they should be starting at the P5 Level. If you are starting or getting playing time you are not going to transfer.

41 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

So a starter at a school is going to transfer to face stiffer competition at a P5? There are more players at the P5 Level on the bench thinking they should be playing then G5 starters thinking they should be starting at the P5 Level. If you are starting or getting playing time you are not going to transfer.

Not EVERY starter at a G5 would get poached.   Just the special ones.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

This is a tempest in a tea cup. Yes, it will allow for more transfers and they will happen moving both ways between P5s and G5s. But the scholarship limits are still in place. In the example by @outoftown, if Okie Lite wants to offer Fine a scholarship, they've got to NOT offer someone else. I think you'll see schools holding a spot a year and not much else as this cuts into your full scholarship totals. Too many transfers is just like too many JUCO players and suddenly a school is having trouble getting to 85 scholarship players. All schools - P5 and G5 - face the same limits. 

Also don't forget the Alabama's, Ohio States and OUs are actually more likely to poach from the Ole Miss's, Iowas and TCUs as those teams are likely to have better poaching candidates than any G5. 

• Lovely Take 2

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not EVERY starter at a G5 would get poached.   Just the special ones.

There is no guarantee when you transfer a G5 would be a starter at a P5. The transfer could actually be more harmful then the opportunity!  If you are playing, winning and enjoy the school they will not transfer. That being said I do not understand why P5s would approve. It wasn’t that long ago they were griping about the graduate transfer. Need to see the details.

9 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

But the scholarship limits are still in place.

I don't think it will be mass transfers, and like @MeanGreenTexan mentioned, just the special ones.

A dude like Corey Davis would get poached, and could be scouted ahead of time to make the scholarship available.

While I don't think it would happen often (G5 to P5, I mean), the system is still in place for it to happen, whether it'd be an Alabama or a Purdue.

Edited by Aldo

Another thought is, a G5 is getting a guy who hasn't started and is unproven, or someone that is a special case that wants to go somewhere else for some reason (closer to home, grades, etc).

A P5 will be getting a proven commodity.

And yes "commodity". NCAA is a billion dollar industry.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 2

basically they are making the transfer rule uniform across all sports, not sure why up in arms. It has not killed the other sports. 

Think will work out well for UNT in long run, but always remember there is a reason why a player transfers and it is not always about playing time, good and bad comes out of it.

8 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I don't think it will be mass transfers, and like @MeanGreenTexan mentioned, just the special ones.

A dude like Corey Davis would get poached, and could be scouted ahead of time to make the scholarship available.

While I don't think it would happen often (G5 to P5, I mean), the system is still in place for it to happen, whether it'd be an Alabama or a Purdue.

But hey!   Nick Chubb just graduated.  Think Georgia, a NC contender, could use a running back like Motor?  He's only a Soph.

Maybe it WOULD work out well for NT!

• Upvote 1