Grades for all 130 FBS teams for the 2017 season

jperg2

5 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

You can settle for close wins.. I’m not settling..

I want to pack Apogee, get students joining the MGC after graduation and increasing that .03% membership rate for alumni and you do that by going out and beating down programs FAU style.. 

Acknowledging improvement and settling are two different things.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

I'm looking at the rankings and I'm seeing many/most teams grade reflects their record vs. expectations.  9 wins from a team that was expected to win about 6 games probably deserves an "A-."  I get what your saying about this being a "6-7 win team," but I think that should just temper expectations for next year.  I don't think it should degrade from this year because on the scoreboard we won 9 games.  The law of averages says we shouldn't have won all the close games that we won, but we did win them this year. 

It should be but people here are looking at 13-1! Beating Ark, SMU soundly and facing FAU at home and losing.. 

• Downvote 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

re: UAB, I was right there with you regarding them being a difficult opponent.    The Special Teams gaffe's are what made that game close in the first place.    Get those shored up in year 2 of Biagi, and that same game is a 17pt win instead of a 3pt win.   And either way, the reality of it is, that was the 2nd place team in C-USA West.  It didn't matter what people thought of them preseason.

Newsflash: as long as UTSA treats the UNT game like their SuperBowl (which, they always will), it's going to be a close game.  We're going to get their absolute best every time we play them.   If we win against them on a last-minute drive, I'm cool with that.

LT's backups are C-USA-starter caliber.   That program is the standard for the West since they've been on top for the past 4 years.  I'm glad we caught them in a down year.  Who knows if they'll be down again next season?  A win against them (any kind of win) is a good one.

Of course I'd rather win games by 20+ points every week.  Who wouldn't?   But that is just not going to happen.

What SHOULDN'T happen anymore (and what I think is a solid measure of improvement next season) is the 20+ point beat-downs we took 4 times this year.  Those games are clouding a lot of people's judgement about how good this team really is.   We'll erase one of those 20-pt beatdowns at Apogee on September 1st, and turn it into a win.   I don't expect to see FAU next season until the Conference Championship Game (if they make it without Briles... FIU will challenge.).   And who knows what will happen in the bowl game (hopefully it's a HOD game VS a big10 team, instead of playing the SBC conference champ)?

Some reason people think Kiffin is nothing without Briles, not sure why.  We will be ok.  FIU has no QB.  They are going to have a fall back season next year.  They have a lot good things but they have ZERO QB talent at the moment.  Hard to overcome.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, wardly said:

I really hate to put the success or failure of 2018 on Fine's back. I remember when we were coming off an SBC  championship and New Orleans Bowl appearance looking forward to Andrew Smith leading us going forward. We lost Smith to a tragic automobile accident and we never recovered.

Smith was going to be the backup in 2004 anyway.  And UNT still won the conference that year.

7 hours ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

Some reason people think Kiffin is nothing without Briles, not sure why.  We will be ok.  FIU has no QB.  They are going to have a fall back season next year.  They have a lot good things but they have ZERO QB talent at the moment.  Hard to overcome.

I didn’t say Kiffin will be “nothing”.  But losing him will hurt, make no mistake.

FIU will challenge.