Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

DRC: Longtime member of UNT's staff (Scotty Conley) departs


Brett Vito
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Guess you have trouble reading.  I have contributed to UNT athletics. 

But you aren’t currently, are you? No you aren’t. I am. 

So maybe you should stop demanding things from people that are currently doing more for UNT athletics than you are. 

You can demand answers when I comment about your family’s scholarship fund...

Some people are doers, others are watchers.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I guess you missed that whole first paragraph....

I like being cirtical about the athletics program as much as the next poster, but at this point, you're just beating your chest and screaming about how great you/your ideas are and how terrible everything else is.

IF they just did what I told them to do

IF they just donated what I donate.

IF they only cared the way I care.

You'd complain if you were hung with a new rope.

 

 

Nice. Run to the defense of someone that is currently contributing nothing to this program over someone that is active. 

Its very UNT of you.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not to just shut down @UNT90's argument 100% or anything...  but:

NT just came off of the greatest semester of Athletic achievements ever.

We've just sent the 3 fall-semester teams to the postseason: 1 regular-season conference champ (volleyball), 1 conference division winner (football), and 1 conference champion (Soccer ladies... again).   The success of the teams completely invalidates any argument that whatever the Athletic Department is doing is entirely wrong.

Moving into the Spring-semester teams... The men's b-ball team has already won more games than the entirety of last season under a first-year coach, and the women's team is winning games despite being SEVERELY hamstrung by injuries.

You can keep harping about "good-ole boy" culture and whatnot, but the previous regime would not have experienced this same success.    PERIOD.    That "good-ole boy" culture is gone.

Face it dude, you're very very wrong, and the axe you're grinding has been grinded down to the stock.  There's nothing left, and you're simply a punchline around here.

Right, because you will settle for one year of success without looking long term.

I don’t care about basketball anymore. That’s pretty well documented, so that program doesn’t figure into any of my comments.

You wanna pretend this looks nothing like 2013, go ahead. I won’t. Because it does. A lot. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

But you aren’t currently, are you? No you aren’t. I am. 

So maybe you should stop demanding things from people that are currently doing more for UNT athletics than you are. 

You can demand answers when I comment about your family’s scholarship fund...

Some people are doers, others are watchers.

and some people just hate for the sake of hating.....yawn!!!!

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Right, because you will settle for one year of success without looking long term.

I don’t care about basketball anymore. That’s pretty well documented, so that program doesn’t figure into any of my comments.

You wanna pretend this looks nothing like 2013, go ahead. I won’t. Because it does. A lot. 

I guess the pudding is cooling in the fridge regarding next year in football.   Nothing you or I can say about 2018's results right now.
However, to get this straight, you're predicting we fall off to a 4-8 season in 2018, correct?  ...because that's what happened after the 2013 season.

And to throw blanket statements over the Athletic Department and supporters, then pick-and-choose which sports are relevant, saying basketball 'doesn't figure in' only after they've demonstrated a turnaround, (because it was certainly relevant to just about all of your previous complaints over the past few years) is just beyond asinine.

Look for more success in 2018 (spring & fall)!
... and we here at gmg.com will continue watching you come out from the rock you were forced under every once in a while to complain about non-issues, like the 'retirement' of a dude that needed to go.   Was it in the timeline you or I wanted?  No, but the change was made.   

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, UNT90 said:

You are one to talk about positive impact, having never done one damn thing to improve this program. Ever. Are you even a  Mean Green Club member? Wouldn’t surprise me if you never have been.

All you do is accept whatever the status quo is at the time while attacking anyone who dares to question your pitifully low standards for anthing UNT athletics.

Maybe if people like you had gotten off your lazy, losing accepting rear, people like me and others on here would have never had to fly a banner. But you didn’t then and never will.

Just rah rah rah sis boom bah while telling those that question a historically terrible program to leave.

i mean, that makes sense.

3

You actually think one thing you have done makes a difference. I always thought you liked to post to make yourself seem relevant, and this proves it. Please go away again (for the twentieth time) and hopefully stay away.

  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I guess the pudding is cooling in the fridge regarding next year in football.   Nothing you or I can say about 2018's results right now.
However, to get this straight, you're predicting we fall off to a 4-8 season in 2018, correct?  ...because that's what happened after the 2013 season.

And to throw blanket statements over the Athletic Department and supporters, then pick-and-choose which sports are relevant, saying basketball 'doesn't figure in' only after they've demonstrated a turnaround, (because it was certainly relevant to just about all of your previous complaints over the past few years) is just beyond asinine.

Look for more success in 2018 (spring & fall)!
... and we here at gmg.com will continue watching you come out from the rock you were forced under every once in a while to complain about non-issues, like the 'retirement' of a dude that needed to go.   Was it in the timeline you or I wanted?  No, but the change was made.   

If you haven’t been paying attention, UNT basketball walked away from me a long time ago. Like February or March of 2017. Pretty well documented. 

Keep on rah rahing it up and ignoring the problems. It’s worked out so well for UNT in the past...

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

You actually think one thing you have done makes a difference. I always thought you liked to post to make yourself seem relevant, and this proves it. Please go away again (for the twentieth time) and hopefully stay away.

Funny that I never bring it up and only respond when others (who did nothing to effect anything when RV was here) do.

I guess you missed that, eh?

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

If you haven’t been paying attention, UNT basketball walked away from me a long time ago. Like February or March of 2017. Pretty well documented. 

Keep on rah rahing it up and ignoring the problems. It’s worked out so well for UNT in the past...

You mean, the problems that are being rectified one after the other?

  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is how I feel.  Except for a few bowl appearances, the 15 years under RV were a disaster.  No disputing that fact.  Culminated by the terrible hires in Men and Women's basketball, softball, etc. Bedford and the guy that coached the women.  Terrible hires for which RV should have been fired long ago.  That fact is on the hands of the prior administration.

I think the changes that have been made over the past 2-3 years were definitely necessary.  Probably should have been made 10 years ago.  I think Smatresk gets it.  The Wren "appears" to be a good hire, as have the hires that he has made.  McCasland, so far, seems decent.  I want to see his recruiting the next two years.

My concern in football is recruiting.  I'm not sure how well we have done under Littrell and staff.  After the beatings we took at the hands of FAU(twice), and Troy, we better bring in some solid talent.

To UNT90.  Over the past 15 years, a lot of damage has been done to UNT's athletic image.  Bad hires, bad records, bad results.  I'm not trying to "convert" you over to following UNT again, I just hope, considering all the changes UNT has made, you will give it somewhat of a chance.  And not criticize those that continue follow UNT sports.  Yes, if RV was still here, Benford, and all the crappy results that have or would follow if not changes were made, then I would be in line with you.

  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You mean, the problems that are being rectified one after the other?

Rectified? Yes they have fixed it going into year 3 of SL.. SL replaced Perry before they did Conley.. 

Conley and anyone from the previous staff should have been given a 1-year to prove it. He didnt with the first class or the 2nd, and this 3rd class was impacted. 

Conley was a minor leak that kept dripping just minor enough that it was a priority lower on the list than it should have been. JD called out Conley and the recruiting coord and that says a lot. 

  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

This is how I feel.  Except for a few bowl appearances, the 15 years under RV were a disaster.  No disputing that fact.  Culminated by the terrible hires in Men and Women's basketball, softball, etc. Bedford and the guy that coached the women.  Terrible hires for which RV should have been fired long ago.  That fact is on the hands of the prior administration.

I think the changes that have been made over the past 2-3 years were definitely necessary.  Probably should have been made 10 years ago.  I think Smatresk gets it.  The Wren "appears" to be a good hire, as have the hires that he has made.  McCasland, so far, seems decent.  I want to see his recruiting the next two years.

My concern in football is recruiting.  I'm not sure how well we have done under Littrell and staff.  After the beatings we took at the hands of FAU(twice), and Troy, we better bring in some solid talent.

To UNT90.  Over the past 15 years, a lot of damage has been done to UNT's athletic image.  Bad hires, bad records, bad results.  I'm not trying to "convert" you over to following UNT again, I just hope, considering all the changes UNT has made, you will give it somewhat of a chance.  And not criticize those that continue follow UNT sports.  Yes, if RV was still here, Benford, and all the crappy results that have or would follow if not changes were made, then I would be in line with you.

Wren hasn’t made hires.. he has made 1 hire and it was GMac, all the other coaches are from RV.. 

The program is yes recruiting and WB/NS need to be hands on and find these problems with SL directly and solve them. The IPF visists were nice, the IPF vote was nice, but WB/NS need to be helping SL improve in other areas.. From the locker room upgrades (yes pointless but it helps in recruiting) to things like the expanded weight room and that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Rectified? Yes they have fixed it going into year 3 of SL.. SL replaced Perry before they did Conley.. 

Conley and anyone from the previous staff should have been given a 1-year to prove it. He didnt with the first class or the 2nd, and this 3rd class was impacted. 

Conley was a minor leak that kept dripping just minor enough that it was a priority lower on the list than it should have been. JD called out Conley and the recruiting coord and that says a lot. 

-1 not from me.

Were there head-scratchers regarding timeline?   Yes.   
Benford's last year should never have happened.   Spending a lot of money on high-level deputies before doing much of anything?   Conley's extended tenure.    I have a feeling the next turn will be the softball ladies' toxic environment.
Regardless, the oil tanker that is the UNT Athletics department as a whole is turning, largely due to the new administration from the top down.   We can only hope Chancellor Roe is on board as well regarding athletics.   I have a feeling the BOR Chariman will make sure she gets in line quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

-1 not from me.

Were there head-scratchers regarding timeline?   Yes.   
Benford's last year should never have happened.   Spending a lot of money on high-level deputies before doing much of anything?   Conley's extended tenure.    I have a feeling the next turn will be the softball ladies' toxic environment.
Regardless, the oil tanker that is the UNT Athletics department as a whole is turning, largely due to the new administration from the top down.   We can only hope Chancellor Roe is on board as well regarding athletics.   I have a feeling the BOR Chariman will make sure she gets in line quickly.

The time line is a major question.

WB gave TB a year to work it and thank god TB did what he did in terms of recruiting and keeping Lawson and Woodridge here, and the lack of success. Image if TB had gotten this team into the CUSA tournament and beat 1 or 2 teams he should have.. Does UNT give TB a new deal? Likely no but we have to wonder. WB made the GMac hire just days after the season (Beleive it was like 5 days) after the SBelt tournament. 

The Conley thing isn’t on WB it’s on SL. I’m understand keeping him around that first year, but when we are not seeing results in year 2 and going into year 3, the guys has been around to long. The new HS coordinator depending on his connections, may have 0 real impact this spring semester when we need to be picking it up to close out this class. 

Softball who knows why that thing is still going on. Could it be WB put out feelers on some coaches as replacements and they passed? Could it be he saw a weak class of coaches, with it be potentially stronger this year, I sure hope to god that’s why and not because of the $ in the budget and current coach is the cheapest option.

Edited by BTG_Fan1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

If you haven’t been paying attention, UNT basketball walked away from me a long time ago. Like February or March of 2017. Pretty well documented. 

Keep on rah rahing it up and ignoring the problems. It’s worked out so well for UNT in the past...

YOU walked away from UNT basketball....not the other way.  I like the direction UNT basketball is heading...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

YOU walked away from UNT basketball....not the other way.  I like the direction UNT basketball is heading...

Nope. They walked away when they proved to me they didn’t care. It’s history. 

Abd you will rah rah this coach until he is gone, then and only then will you dog cuss him while rah rahing his replacement:

Its literally all you do. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

This is how I feel.  Except for a few bowl appearances, the 15 years under RV were a disaster.  No disputing that fact.  Culminated by the terrible hires in Men and Women's basketball, softball, etc. Bedford and the guy that coached the women.  Terrible hires for which RV should have been fired long ago.  That fact is on the hands of the prior administration.

I think the changes that have been made over the past 2-3 years were definitely necessary.  Probably should have been made 10 years ago.  I think Smatresk gets it.  The Wren "appears" to be a good hire, as have the hires that he has made.  McCasland, so far, seems decent.  I want to see his recruiting the next two years.

My concern in football is recruiting.  I'm not sure how well we have done under Littrell and staff.  After the beatings we took at the hands of FAU(twice), and Troy, we better bring in some solid talent.

To UNT90.  Over the past 15 years, a lot of damage has been done to UNT's athletic image.  Bad hires, bad records, bad results.  I'm not trying to "convert" you over to following UNT again, I just hope, considering all the changes UNT has made, you will give it somewhat of a chance.  And not criticize those that continue follow UNT sports.  Yes, if RV was still here, Benford, and all the crappy results that have or would follow if not changes were made, then I would be in line with you.

If you notice, I’ve never criticized you once, Deep. We may disagree, but you don’t want me to leave UNT athletics because we think differently or I question everything because others question literally nothing, ever. That’s how RV rode the gravy train for 15 damn years.

i haven’t quit NT athletics yet, just basketball, but I understand why many a fan has walked away. And they will never get me back for basketball. Don’t even know the record this year and don’t care. Still a Mean Green Club member and football season ticket holder. 

Recruiting looks like 2013, actually worse. That scares the hell out of me. As long as Fine stays healthy, this team will be competitive. That’s a big if for an undersized QB behind an awful offensive line.

Jury is still waaaay out on Baker. He refused to make wholesale changes and left people in place with an agenda to see him fail. Worse, a lack of wholesale changes means the awful culture that was here under RV remains. He has also proven to be almost as weak as RV in scheduling football games. 

Anyway, it’s good to have an exchange of ideas with someone who doesn’t want to exile me from fandom because of my opinions.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Guess you have trouble reading.  I have contributed to UNT athletics. 

Who cares what you DID. What are you DOING! And why are you questioning those who are doing way more than YOU. Right now. Today!

How about you start supporting UNT athletics with your pocket book before criticizing and trying to drive away those who do because they disagree with you. 

Edited by Coach Andy Mac
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Harry locked and unlocked this topic
  • Harry locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share




  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 44

      Just a little perspective

    2. 6

      Fort Worth - Home of the AAC Basketball Tournament

    3. 3

      AAC Basketball team evaluation from a hoops perspective

  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      14,826
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    Kandy Atz
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.