Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

DRC: Longtime member of UNT's staff (Scotty Conley) departs


Brett Vito
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am sure none of us know the full requirements of the job, but some replacements suggested are out there.  The director is not allowed to recruit players at all, his primary function is to establish a positive relationship with high school coaches.  

It seems to me the best candidate would be something with a lot of contacts with Texas high school coaches and an ability to sell NT.  An ex-NT player for example seems a poor fit for this position if he lacks those contacts.   Likewise it is doubtful to me that a young coach would have yet build that kind of network. 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I am sure none of us know the full requirements of the job, but some replacements suggested are out there.  The director is not allowed to recruit players at all, his primary function is to establish a positive relationship with high school coaches.  

It seems to me the best candidate would be something with a lot of contacts with Texas high school coaches and an ability to sell NT.  An ex-NT player for example seems a poor fit for this position if he lacks those contacts.   Likewise it is doubtful to me that a young coach would have yet build that kind of network. 

 

 

how about Harrell's brother.  Has the name, pedigree, fathers HS coaching contacts, played in college and is currently coaching in Texas HS....just a name to ponder...

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Now the fact that both technically transferred out of here is an interesting problem here.  Were they both "quitters"?  We give Riley a pass and consider him an alum since most gave him an out after his Dad was fired.

I see that you are assuming that the new staff--particularly the new head coach--wanted him to stay.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2018 at 11:32 AM, UNT90 said:

Typical UNT. Relationships are far more important than performance. Scooty’s Such a good ole boy we just gotta keep him around till he gets retirement, don’t ya know. Performance be damned. 

And make no mistake, his performance sucked. Maybe now UNT will at least have as good a presence in local high schools as La Tech and UTSA... 

Same old good old boy culture.

Now that we have a new AD, new football coach and new basketball coach.  Now that we are having winning seasons and higher expectations.  Now that things are looking better gauged against any metric you choose.  When will your attitude improve? 

  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

Now that we have a new AD, new football coach and new basketball coach.  Now that we are having winning seasons and higher expectations.  Now that things are looking better gauged against any metric you choose.  When will your attitude improve? 

Don't hold your breath. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:13 PM, HoustonEagle said:

Now that we have a new AD, new football coach and new basketball coach.  Now that we are having winning seasons and higher expectations.  Now that things are looking better gauged against any metric you choose.  When will your attitude improve? 

You think this is turned around. I think this is one injury to Mason Fine away form being 2013 all over again. Because recruiting.

And UNT doesn't have a basketball program, so...

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2018 at 11:32 AM, UNT90 said:

And make no mistake, his performance sucked. Maybe now UNT will at least have as good a presence in local high schools as La Tech and UTSA... 

Same old good old boy culture.

You got too many down votes but that needed to be said.  Why was he allowed stick around after the poor recruiting during Mac’s first 2 years confuses me.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

You got too many down votes but that needed to be said.  Why why was he allowed stick around after the poor recruiting during Mac’s first 2 years confuses me.

Like one poster said in wishing him well: "He was a good guy."

Being a good guy is still FAR more important at UNT than recruiting/winning/doing your actual job.

  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

You think this is turned around. I think this is one injury to Mason Fine away form being 2013 all over again. Because recruiting.

And UNT doesn't have a basketball program, so...

Have you even been to a basketball game this year? Both teams are fun to watch and getting better every game. But do you man, do you. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Like one poster said in wishing him well: "He was a good guy."

Being a good guy is still FAR more important at UNT than recruiting/winning/doing your actual job.

You want to call someone out go ahead, fact doesn't change, I stand behind what I said.  Never said he did a good job, but he was a good guy.   You should really just support another program if all you can do is complain about EVERY single move UNT makes.  You had your chance to air grievances, where we both brought up things we'd like to see changed in the AD search.  Either hop on board and pony up, or take your $ elsewhere it really has gotten tiresome even for a youngster such as myself. 

  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

You want to call someone out go ahead, fact doesn't change, I stand behind what I said.  Never said he did a good job, but he was a good guy.   You should really just support another program if all you can do is complain about EVERY single move UNT makes.  You had your chance to air grievances, where we both brought up things we'd like to see changed in the AD search.  Either hop on board and pony up, or take your $ elsewhere it really has gotten tiresome even for a youngster such as myself. 

Ah, the old “accept it or leave” statement that has led to this program being crap for decades.

if you don’t like it, leave! UNT’s recruiting sucks? How dare you bring it up! Just leave!! UNT’s presence in local high schools is terrible? Don’t bring it up! Just leave!

And the rah rah board wonders why there are over 100,000 alumni in the area and less than 10% give to UNT athletics. 

Im not picking on you specifically, but it’s unfortunate that the UNT good ole boy pattern of only wanting one narrative seems to be filtering down to younger fans. It’s a losing culture and a losing culture only that allows this.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Ah, the old “accept it or leave” statement that has led to this program being crap for decades.

if you don’t like it, leave! UNT’s recruiting sucks? How dare you bring it up! Just leave!! UNT’s presence in local high schools is terrible? Don’t bring it up! Just leave!

And the rah rah board wonders why there are over 100,000 alumni in the area and less than 10% give to UNT athletics. 

Im not picking on you specifically, but it’s unfortunate that the UNT good ole boy pattern of only wanting one narrative seems to be filtering down to younger fans. It’s a losing culture and a losing culture only that allows this.

B.S.  You are so jaded, you can't see the good because your view is only focused on what you perceive as negative. It is so easy to stand on your front porch, flying your banner overhead and screaming at the top of your lungs but never put forth the effort to make a positive impact. New A.D. and staff, still yell, new Head Football Coach and staff, still complain, new Head Basketball Coach and staff, still pound the pulpit. What is good enough for you because it appears nothing?

Revised master plan with a new Soccer/Track facility on the books to be built, fundraising about to wrap up for a new IPF, improvements and optimism all around, but you just "Eyore" everything.  I challenge you to share something constructive or positive. It appears you can't and that is why people say "just leave." You just complain over and over and it is just plain old tiring. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

B.S.  You are so jaded, you can't see the good because your view is only focused on what you perceive as negative. It is so easy to stand on your front porch, flying your banner overhead and screaming at the top of your lungs but never put forth the effort to make a positive impact. New A.D. and staff, still yell, new Head Football Coach and staff, still complain, new Head Basketball Coach and staff, still pound the pulpit. What is good enough for you because it appears nothing?

Revised master plan with a new Soccer/Track facility on the books to be built, fundraising about to wrap up for a new IPF, improvements and optimism all around, but you just "Eyore" everything.  I challenge you to share something constructive or positive. It appears you can't and that is why people say "just leave." You just complain over and over and it is just plain old tiring. 

You are one to talk about positive impact, having never done one damn thing to improve this program. Ever. Are you even a  Mean Green Club member? Wouldn’t surprise me if you never have been.

All you do is accept whatever the status quo is at the time while attacking anyone who dares to question your pitifully low standards for anthing UNT athletics.

Maybe if people like you had gotten off your lazy, losing accepting rear, people like me and others on here would have never had to fly a banner. But you didn’t then and never will.

Just rah rah rah sis boom bah while telling those that question a historically terrible program to leave.

i mean, that makes sense.

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mean Green Club Member and season ticket holder until last year for some reasons that had nothing to do with the program and are none of your business.  My family is funding a scholarship in my father's memory at UNT and I have directed my resources to finish that out.  Will rejoin the MGC this year and plan on getting season tickets again if my kid's schedules allow us to get to the games this year.  My family has contributed to the university or athletic program or both since 1965.  I am very comfortable with my level of commitment to UNT.

You have no idea what my standards are and what I expect.  I don't attack those that question me, in fact, I would bet we want the same end result.  I just attack you for your tired old act.  Again, I challenged you to state something positive and your response was to try and criticize me.  

You left on your own.  Amazes me that you have to support your position by being hyper critical of everyone.  You only show up to bitch and moan.  What a sad, sad person.

Challenge: post something positive.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Mean Green Club Member and season ticket holder until last year for some reasons that had nothing to do with the program and are none of your business.  My family is funding a scholarship in my father's memory at UNT and I have directed my resources to finish that out.  Will rejoin the MGC this year and plan on getting season tickets again if my kid's schedules allow us to get to the games this year.  My family has contributed to the university or athletic program or both since 1965.  I am very comfortable with my level of commitment to UNT.

You have no idea what my standards are and what I expect.  I don't attack those that question me, in fact, I would bet we want the same end result.  I just attack you for your tired old act.  Again, I challenged you to state something positive and your response was to try and criticize me.  

You left on your own.  Amazes me that you have to support your position by being hyper critical of everyone.  You only show up to bitch and moan.  What a sad, sad person.

Challenge: post something positive.

Here is a thought:

Before you demand one damn thing from an active member of the mean green club and a contributor to the stadium fund, why don’t you first contribute one red cent to UNT athletics.

Hypocrisy knows no bounds, I guess. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Here is a thought:

Before you demand one damn thing from an active member of the mean green club and a contributor to the stadium fund, why don’t you first contribute one red cent to UNT athletics.

Hypocrisy knows no bounds, I guess. 

Guess you have trouble reading.  I have contributed to UNT athletics. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Here is a thought:

Before you demand one damn thing from an active member of the mean green club and a contributor to the stadium fund, why don’t you first contribute one red cent to UNT athletics.

Hypocrisy knows no bounds, I guess. 

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Mean Green Club Member and season ticket holder until last year for some reasons that had nothing to do with the program and are none of your business.  My family is funding a scholarship in my father's memory at UNT and I have directed my resources to finish that out.  Will rejoin the MGC this year and plan on getting season tickets again if my kid's schedules allow us to get to the games this year.  My family has contributed to the university or athletic program or both since 1965.  I am very comfortable with my level of commitment to UNT.

I guess you missed that whole first paragraph....

I like being cirtical about the athletics program as much as the next poster, but at this point, you're just beating your chest and screaming about how great you/your ideas are and how terrible everything else is.

IF they just did what I told them to do

IF they just donated what I donate.

IF they only cared the way I care.

You'd complain if you were hung with a new rope.

 

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Harry locked and unlocked this topic
  • Harry locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share




  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 0

      UNT LAUNCHES WE MEAN BUSINESS TICKET CAMPAIGN!

    2. 4

      Skip Holtz

    3. 4

      Skip Holtz

    4. 4

      Skip Holtz

  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      14,981
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    JT Hammons
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.