Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

DRC: Longtime member of UNT's staff (Scotty Conley) departs


Brett Vito
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • All About UNT changed the title to DRC: Longtime member of UNT's staff (Scotty Conley) departs

When Vito writes that he led Plano to the 1977 state championship ... what exactly does he mean by "led"?  John Clark was the athletic director and Tom Kimbrough was the head coach.  He was never the head coach or AD for Plano.  

That's ok, Vito.  Don't let facts get in the way of a story. 

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

When Vito writes that he led Plano to the 1977 state championship ... what exactly does he mean by "led"?  John Clark was the athletic director and Tom Kimbrough was the head coach.  He was never the head coach or AD for Plano.  

That's ok, Vito.  Don't let facts get in the way of a story. 

He was Offensive Coordinator at Plano in 1977. Bert probably misread the bio.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GMG24 said:

A lot of good work done by him, but time to bring in a HS relations guy who can really take us to the next level with his connections.  IMO make this position 90-95K a year and watch the HS coaches flock to it.  Hell I'd do it and drive all over the state and into LA etc for 65 a year. 

You should put in an application. An alum that is also a young relatable coach seems like the direction we should go. 

  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well...  Riley doesn't count himself as an alum (which he shouldn't), so we shouldn't either.

I was corrected that alumn doesn't mean graduate but only that you attended.   So he is an alum so even if he doesn't (which is a shame) I do.  He wasn't built to be a DI quarterback but that wasn't his fault.   He a tough SOB who should have been allowed to stay at receiver. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I was corrected that alumn doesn't mean graduate but only that you attended.   So he is an alum so even if he doesn't (which is a shame) I do.  He wasn't built to be a DI quarterback but that wasn't his fault.   He a tough SOB who should have been allowed to stay at receiver. 

But if you attend 2 or more universities and graduate from one, that's usually the one you consider yourself an alumnus of.   Riley considers himself a McNeese alumn, as he should, because he graduated from there.

Riley was the best QB we've had here between Scott Hall & Mason Fine... that includes DT.  He was bigger than Fine.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

But if you attend 2 or more universities and graduate from one, that's usually the one you consider yourself an alumnus of.   Riley considers himself a McNeese alumn, as he should, because he graduated from there.

Riley was the best QB we've had here between Scott Hall & Mason Fine... that includes DT.  He was bigger than Fine.

Hmmm ... who knew the definition of alum could be so complicated.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

You should put in an application. An alum that is also a young relatable coach seems like the direction we should go. 

Absoutely.  Someone who made the commitment to graduate from NT and has coaching experience is a great candidate to sell the program to the coaches in Texas. I've always believed that the best people to sell NT and/or work in it's best interest are NT graduates.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Absoutely.  Someone who made the commitment to graduate from NT and has coaching experience is a great candidate to sell the program to the coaches in Texas. I've always believed that the best people to sell NT and/or work in it's best interest are NT graduates.

Patrick Cobbs?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Like him (and his dad) or not the Dodge name is respected in the High School ranks

Aside from the fact that if I owned this team, I wouldn't even let any of the staff drive cars manufactured by Fiat/Chrysler, 
respected or not, it's easy enough to look up the history of the father and the departure of the son.  It would be damn near impossible for me to believe either of them selling me on UNT if I were a high school player. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Typical UNT. Relationships are far more important than performance. Scooty’s Such a good ole boy we just gotta keep him around till he gets retirement, don’t ya know. Performance be damned. 

And make no mistake, his performance sucked. Maybe now UNT will at least have as good a presence in local high schools as La Tech and UTSA... 

Same old good old boy culture.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Riley was the best QB we've had here between Scott Hall & Mason Fine... that includes DT.  He was bigger than Fine.

I loved Riley while he was here, but you wouldn't put Vizza ahead of him?  Riley was a far better leader and a better runner/athlete, but Vizza clearly had the better arm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Typical UNT. Relationships are far more important than performance. Scooty’s Such a good ole boy we just gotta keep him around till he gets retirement, don’t ya know. Performance be damned. 

And make no mistake, his performance sucked. Maybe now UNT will at least have as good a presence in local high schools as La Tech and UTSA... 

Same old good old boy culture.

I'm betting it was more of a "retirement" than it was, retirement.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I loved Riley while he was here, but you wouldn't put Vizza ahead of him?  Riley was a far better leader and a better runner/athlete, but Vizza clearly had the better arm.

When the board ops folks had to add functionality to automatically detect/change the word 'quit' to something else (can't remember what that other word was now) in every post for a while do to your quitting on the team, your name shouldn't get to be mentioned in comparisons like this....IMPO.  

Now the fact that both technically transferred out of here is an interesting problem here.  Were they both "quitters"?  We give Riley a pass and consider him an alum since most gave him an out after his Dad was fired.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

When the board ops folks had to add functionality to automatically detect/change the word 'quit' to something else (can't remember what that other word was now) in every post for a while do to your quitting on the team, your name shouldn't get to be mentioned in comparisons like this....IMPO.  

Now the fact that both technically transferred out of here is an interesting problem here.  Were they both "quitters"?  We give Riley a pass and consider him an alum since most gave him an out after his Dad was fired.

One quit because he was scared a WR was going to take his job based on the dude's last name.  Scared.

One quit after his dad was canned halfway through a season (that he finished).  I likely wouldn't want to hang around anymore either if people were constantly dragging my dad's name through the mud, whether he deserved it or not.

  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Harry locked and unlocked this topic
  • Harry locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.