UNT D 2018

djohnnie

On 1/6/2018 at 7:40 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

And Thompson has been told he will compete and with his size I would assume likely get a LB spot over Fulp 

well this didn’t age well lol

Gross, full needs to be a player for us immediately. I'd replace Garner before I tried to replace any other LB.  well besides McDonald that was about the worst MLB I've seen in a hot minute.  Explains JUCO route staff has gone may as well say F it and get HS guys who are here for 4/5 years.   It's a tough one to call for sure.  Glad I'm not being paid to recruit 18-20 year olds and develop them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Gross, full needs to be a player for us immediately. I'd replace Garner before I tried to replace any other LB.  well besides McDonald that was about the worst MLB I've seen in a hot minute.  Explains JUCO route staff has gone may as well say F it and get HS guys who are here for 4/5 years.   It's a tough one to call for sure.  Glad I'm not being paid to recruit 18-20 year olds and develop them. 

Agreed

On 1/6/2018 at 3:45 PM, UNTLifer said:

My take:

DL:  English, Hamilton and Young

LB: Garner, Ejiya and Fulp

DB/LB: Preston/Davis

DB: Hall, Brooks, Muhammed and Sanders

Replace Garner with JoJo and I like your lineup. 

9 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Agreed

Replace Garner with JoJo and I like your lineup. 

You're wanting to replace a MLB with a hybrid DE/OLB type of guy?    I like JoJo where he's at.   

If you thought Garner was too slow to the ball as a Mike, you really wouldn't like JoJo as a Mike.

Garner is a player.   Most defenses knew that, hence, when our 3-man front was not demanding double-teams like they needed to, a Guard/Center would release upfield and engage him immediately.  

If English is who we hope he is, watch Garner turn into an all-conference type of player next season.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

You're wanting to replace a MLB with a hybrid DE/OLB type of guy?    I like JoJo where he's at.   

If you thought Garner was too slow to the ball as a Mike, you really wouldn't like JoJo as a Mike.

Garner is a player.   Most defenses knew that, hence, when our 3-man front was not demanding double-teams like they needed to, a Guard/Center would release upfield and engage him immediately.  

If English is who we hope he is, watch Garner turn into an all-conference type of player next season.

I'm not saying swap position for position. I'm saying have JoJo, Fulp, and Ejiya as your three LB's. Keep JoJo where he's at, Ejiya at Mike, and Fulp as your Will/Sam(Whatever that linebacker is considered in this defense)

Garner fell off hard. To me, he's another Fred Scott at best.

17 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I'm not saying swap position for position. I'm saying have JoJo, Fulp, and Ejiya as your three LB's. Keep JoJo where he's at, Ejiya at Mike, and Fulp as your Will/Sam(Whatever that linebacker is considered in this defense)

Garner fell off hard. To me, he's another Fred Scott at best.

I don't think Ejiya is a MLB either, and we don't know what we have in Fulp yet... hence hitting the JUCOs for LB help.
I know Garner gets a lot of heat on here, and he could certainly work on shedding blocks, but I think he'll do much better lining up behind English & Young instead of just Young.

• Upvote 2