Home Opener Against SMU

AustinFromUNT

Need to ball 🏈 and win this game.  It needs to be in front of a full house hopefully at night with a whole new crew of freshman students, energized alumni and a hungry team. Many pony fans ain’t going back north for another slaughter. 

GMG

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Home openers you would think would have the greatest freshman student attendance. That means it's really important to get that W. For a freshman, a win or a loss could be the difference between going to every home game or saying "meh" to the team.

I should know. My first home game at Apogee was a 43-6 pony slaughter.

That game was hotter than Hades

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

That game was hotter than Hades

Yeah It was.  I remember so many people had the top of their knees sunburned that day.  1:00 kickoff in September, against a school that could drive home in 45 mins, in100 degrees.  Thank you RV, brillant idea. 🙄

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

https://sunrise-sunset.org/us/denton-tx/2018/9

Sunset on September 1, 2018 is at 7:53 PM.

A 6:00 kickoff means the temperature will likely be in the mid-nineties, and the student side the north end zone will spend nearly two hours baking in that heat staring directly into the sun. 

It's hard to win your customers back when you treat them like that.

This game should only be set for a 7:30 or 8:00 kickoff. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, trud1966 said:

Yeah It was.  I remember so many people had the top of their knees sunburned that day.  1:00 kickoff in September, against a school that could drive home in 45 mins, in100 degrees.  Thank you RV, brillant idea. 🙄

You should thank the TV coverage as well. It was more to blame for the brutal start time than anything else. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

https://sunrise-sunset.org/us/denton-tx/2018/9

Sunset on September 1, 2018 is at 7:53 PM.

A 6:00 kickoff means the temperature will likely be in the mid-nineties, and the student side the north end zone will spend nearly two hours baking in that heat staring directly into the sun. 

It's hard to win your customers back when you treat them like that.

This game should only be set for a 7:30 or 8:00 kickoff. 

This is one of the chicken & egg questions.  Is it better to have fixed kickoff times or flexible times to build a fan base?

I would personally like to see the September games pushed back 1 hour to 7 p.m., then October & November at 6 p.m.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

If our team can't stop halfway decent teams from blowing us out then next year could be tough on us. SMU may be losing 2 receivers but they killed us last season.

Hmm. I don't agree. It was not "they" that killed UNT. It was Courtland Sutton almost all by himself.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Hmm. I don't agree. It was not "they" that killed UNT. It was Courtland Sutton almost all by himself.

I recall little to no penetration by our D-line followed by a QB that passed to several receivers at will. They also had double our rushing yards. Our piss poor special teams performance didn't help matters. Fine thew a couple interceptions too. They beat us in every  phase of the game.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1