Connor Means

SilverEagle

On another thread, someone mentioned Connor Means as an example of a wasted ship. I tend to disagree. The guy is a very good athlete and he appears to be very motivated to play. The guy is big (6'4" X  224) and fast. When he was still competing for QB i saw him take off on a scramble that, when he was finally tackled, caused me to say WOW!  He is/was fast and elusive. According to his bio on the Meangreensports site,  as a HS senior he threw 10 TD passes and ran for another 10. He had something like 1300 yards passing and over 500 yards running.

They currently have him at LB. Now, he is big enough and fast enough to play it, but can he learn the position in time to contribute in his senior year (2018)? When they took him out of the QB competition, they initially listed him as a RB for a while. Then they switched him to LB.  I think he could learn the RB position faster than the LB position. He potentially could provide the power back change up from Smith that we had with Wilson.  Currently we don't have a pure power back. IMHO he is potentially another Jamize Olawale......only white.  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 3

Dude was the quintessential Mac/Chico QB recruit...measurements were right, tested well, couldn’t play QB at this level. Seriously, he may be much better as a LB or other position because of his athleticism, but if you couldn’t play QB here while we rolled out Greer, Dajon, McNulty, or Damascus Smith, then that told you everything you needed to know about being a G5 QB.

49 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Dude was the quintessential Mac/Chico QB recruit...measurements were right, tested well, couldn’t play QB at this level. Seriously, he may be much better as a LB or other position because of his athleticism, but if you couldn’t play QB here while we rolled out Greer, Dajon, McNulty, or Damascus Smith, then that told you everything you needed to know about being a G5 QB.

More Mac than Chico. It's unfortunate that he wasn't honestly assessed as early at Chumley and, like Chumley, subsequently put into a better role for the benefit of the team. I'm suggesting that maybe RB is a more beneficial position for him and the program. He's a really good athlete and it would be a shame to not have him out on the field benefiting the program.

4 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

He might develop enough to contribute next year. The biggest jumps for player development are usually always between their jr & Sr. years. 

He ran for 500+ yards and scored 10 running TD's his senior year. He might developmentally "jump" and contribute as a LB, but he's already demonstrated his ability to run with the ball. At least to me anyway.

Do you know how many guys rush for 500 yards in high school? Very, very, very few of them deserve to ever see a carry in C-USA.

I would love to see Connor Means turn into a playmaker his senior year. He is obviously a good student and teammate, but his production on the field so far is no better than what you could get from thousands of available walk-ons.

And obviously not every scholarship can turn into an all-conference performer or starter.

So a scholarship player who stays in the program, never gets in trouble, works hard, provides a body in practice and ultimately graduates, has value.

The Dan Mac era certainly has many examples of scholarships that were misallocated worse than Means' was. I am rooting for Means to have a great senior year.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Do you know how many guys rush for 500 yards in high school? Very, very, very few of them deserve to ever see a carry in C-USA.

I would love to see Connor Means turn into a playmaker his senior year. He is obviously a good student and teammate, but his production on the field so far is no better than what you could get from thousands of available walk-ons.

Well, it wasn't his full time job, and he played at Deer Park, so that would be against 6-A competition? Plus, I've seen him run against our defense.

Means was Chico's recruit.  Chico was very high on Means even when Deer Park was doing bad his senior season.  I was told by a very reliable source that Means was Chico's guy.  Mac had nothing to do with going out and looking for QBs.  

I'm not sure many know how recruiting works.  Coaches for certain areas go out and look for talent.  They bring what they find back to the other coaches.  If I am over Houston area and I am a DL coach, I'm not just looking for DL.  I'm looking at all talent and if I see a nice db or something, I would let the position coaches know.  Not sure if Mac's staff trusted each other in that regard, but Chico had a lot of say so in the offensive talent.  I have seen it first hand at the Houston Satellite camps.  It wasnt Mac telling Chico who to look at.  Lets stop this myth.  Mac had his faults, but he was not hands on like some want to think.  If anything he was the opposite and probably should have been more involved. 

14 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Means was Chico's recruit.  Chico was very high on Means even when Deer Park was doing bad his senior season.  I was told by a very reliable source that Means was Chico's guy.  Mac had nothing to do with going out and looking for QBs.  

I'm not sure many know how recruiting works.  Coaches for certain areas go out and look for talent.  They bring what they find back to the other coaches.  If I am over Houston area and I am a DL coach, I'm not just looking for DL.  I'm looking at all talent and if I see a nice db or something, I would let the position coaches know.  Not sure if Mac's staff trusted each other in that regard, but Chico had a lot of say so in the offensive talent.  I have seen it first hand at the Houston Satellite camps.  It wasnt Mac telling Chico who to look at.  Lets stop this myth.  Mac had his faults, but he was not hands on like some want to think.  If anything he was the opposite and probably should have been more involved. 

Not a Mac fan (great guy but mediocre coach) but this was a very fair evaluation. 

8 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Not a Mac fan (great guy but mediocre coach) but this was a very fair evaluation. 

I was a Mac fan.  I guess I still am cause of the 9-4 HOD Bowl season...but McNulty...I can't forgive that mess...

and McNulty even started AFTER Mac was fired...I just knew he would never ever see the field again after Mac was fired, but Chico...Mac was responsible for McNulty, but Chico was definitely in on a lot of the rest of the flops.  Chico needs to stop getting a pass from this fanbase. 

Chico should have been replaced...just like someone on this current coaching staff.  The signs are there.  

• Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

I was a Mac fan.  I guess I still am cause of the 9-4 HOD Bowl season...but McNulty...I can't forgive that mess...

and McNulty even started AFTER Mac was fired...I just knew he would never ever see the field again after Mac was fired, but Chico...Mac was responsible for McNulty, but Chico was definitely in on a lot of the rest of the flops.  Chico needs to stop getting a pass from this fanbase. 

Chico should have been replaced...just like someone on this current coaching staff.  The signs are there.  

This is not as egregious as you present it to be. Damarcus Smith started at quarterback every game Chico coached after Mac was fired except for one. Now, you are technically correct in that Mini did start one game for Chico after Mac was canned, senior day, the last game of the season and the last of Mini’s career.

Edited by Cr1028

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

This is not as egregious as you present it to be. Damarcus Smith started at quarterback every game Chico coached after Mac was fired except for one. Now, you are technically correct in that Mini did start one game for Chico after Mac was canned, senior day, the last game of the season and the last of Mini’s career.

I don't care if it was Senior day.  McNulty had a year in a half to show something.  Maybe even longer.  He shouldn't have started or ever played again.  Yall love some Chico...

• Downvote 2

14 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

More Mac than Chico. It's unfortunate that he wasn't honestly assessed as early at Chumley and, like Chumley, subsequently put into a better role for the benefit of the team. I'm suggesting that maybe RB is a more beneficial position for him and the program. He's a really good athlete and it would be a shame to not have him out on the field benefiting the program.

He ran for 500+ yards and scored 10 running TD's his senior year. He might developmentally "jump" and contribute as a LB, but he's already demonstrated his ability to run with the ball. At least to me anyway.

I agree, I thought move for him was RB.  He ain't juking anyone, but you better hold on tight cuz he's going to run your ___ over or run by you.  Kid has speed.

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

And you drink the Green Kool-Aid.. making excuses for this terrible defense 

Making excuses or pointing out legitimate facts?? Love to hear exactly how you'd improve our defense, also I've never drank the MG Kool-Aid I knew Troy was better team and I picked them in bowl pick em.  We have a long way to go, but we're so much further ahead of where we've been.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

just the 2017 season. He was hurt (someone said in a freak accident) the year before. 

Yup, pass promin spring,  tore labrum.  Crappy injury to return from.  Got to sit by his family one game an chat, they were excited for him to be able to get back on the field.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 12:18 AM, GMG24 said:

I agree, I thought move for him was RB.  He ain't juking anyone, but you better hold on tight cuz he's going to run your ___ over or run by you.  Kid has speed.

Well, the scramble that I observed (that caused me to say wow!) involved juking a lb and a db, on his way to a 20+ yard run.

What caused me to start thinking about him as a RB was watching the Alamo Bowl and the contribution that this guy made for TCU toward the end of the game........http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sewo_olonilua_1003077.html

Olonilua demonstrated some power and speed, but he wasn't particularly shifty in his run. I got to thinking about Mr. Means because (like Olonilua and our Wilson) he could provide a more pure speed-power option to our very quick RB's coming  back this year. 

9 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Well, the scramble that I observed (that caused me to say wow!) involved juking a lb and a db, on his way to a 20+ yard run.

What caused me to start thinking about him as a RB was watching the Alamo Bowl and the contribution that this guy made for TCU toward the end of the game........http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sewo_olonilua_1003077.html

Olonilua demonstrated some power and speed, but he wasn't particularly shifty in his run. I got to thinking about Mr. Means because (like Olonilua and our Wilson) he could provide a more pure speed-power option to our very quick RB's coming  back this year. 

Very different caliber of athlete that your watching for TCU (Olonilua). That kid will play on Sundays in some capacity.