Police murder innocent man in Kansas

Still doesn't justify killing him....  They have a dangerous job .... but need to use good judgement ..... They were were going to a house  of a man that had no criminal history.   I was (when a college student, 1960's) I was shot at by a policeman  who thought I was a burglar.... I was a night-time employee.  He was no rookie but about 50 years old. He gave no warning at all ... just shot. 

41 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

They shot an innocent man.

28 years.

If you were in this situation and someone close to you was shot for opening the door you’d be “meh, police were on high alert?”

It seems really odd to completely disregard the prank call as a factor because that dictates the mind set of the officers going into the situation. 

Of course the family is upset. They lost a loved one. Hopefully the police  catch the individual that placed the fake call. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mean Green Matt said:

It seems really odd to completely disregard the prank call as a factor because that dictates the mind set of the officers going into the situation. 

Of course the family is upset. They lost a loved one. Hopefully the police  catch the individual that placed the fake call. 

So the cop that shot first, asked questions later, is not to blame?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

2 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

So the cop that shot first, asked questions later, is not to blame?

I haven't seen the exact details of what the police said and what the individual did that led to the shooting itself. It's obviously a terrible situation and that goes without saying. I just think that "murder" is a really irresponsible term to use in these situations. That officer didn't wake up that day wanting to kill someone. Also, I don't know how one can disregard the different mindsets officers would need to be in for a hostage situation vs.say... not using a turn signal. The information they are given about a situation matters. Could there still have been a mistake made? Sure. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I haven't seen the exact details of what the police said and what the individual did that led to the shooting itself. It's obviously a terrible situation and that goes without saying. I just think that "murder" is a really irresponsible term to use in these situations. That officer didn't wake up that day wanting to kill someone. Also, I don't know how one can disregard the different mindsets officers would need to be in for a hostage situation vs.say... not using a turn signal. The information they are given about a situation matters. Could there still have been a mistake made? Sure. 

The guy opened the door and put his hands up. He opened the door and was shot seven seconds later.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

The guy who called in the prank call has been apprehended.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wichita-swatting-prank-suspect-tyler-barriss-arrested-los-angeles/

The moment police don't take a call like this serious is when innocent people and/or police officers get killed. You have to obey police officers' commands otherwise things like this can happen.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

The guy who called in the prank call has been apprehended.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wichita-swatting-prank-suspect-tyler-barriss-arrested-los-angeles/

The moment police don't take a call like this serious is when innocent people and/or police officers get killed. You have to obey police officers' commands otherwise things like this can happen.

He did obey police though? It was a seven second span. He put his hands up.

The bootlickers are out.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

8 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

He did obey police though? It was a seven second span. He put his hands up.

The bootlickers are out.

According to this article, the man killed didn't follow commands:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42523045

He appeared to reach for something in/around his waistband. I guess the police should wait and find out he was reaching for?

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

According to this article, the man killed didn't follow commands:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42523045

He appeared to reach for something in/around his waistband. I guess the police should wait and find out he was reaching for?

There’s a video. He put his hands up. In the span of seven seconds.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Good luck getting a conviction should this ever get to trial. The odds would be stacked against the prosecution. Also, suing the police and city does nothing but punish the tax payers. Either way, it's a lose/lose situation.

• Downvote 1

I think, if the way we do policing in this country means that you can be completely innocent, have nothing to do with anything that led a police officer to your door, open immediately calmly and peacefully, put your hands up when instructed, and STILL be fatally shot within less than 10 seconds... Maybe we've taken a wrong turn on how we do policing. Maybe. 

25 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

He was shot when he put his hands down to his waist.

Obviously, the officer made a serious error in judgment.  A fatal error.  He may well deserve to be dismissed for this.  I'm sure it will eat at his conscience the rest of his life.  But it's obviously not murder.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

He was shot when he put his hands down to his waist.

Obviously, the officer made a serious error in judgment.  A fatal error.  He may well deserve to be dismissed for this.  I'm sure it will eat at his conscience the rest of his life.  But it's obviously not murder.

It’s clearly murder. Not first degree, but murder. Glad to see the punishment for murdering an innocent man is having a guilty conscience.

If you randomly had a SWAT team at your door you wouldn’t be startled and confused, maybe put your hands up immediately?

We live in a dystopian police state and bootlickers like you are why.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

33 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

It’s clearly murder. Not first degree, but murder. Glad to see the punishment for murdering an innocent man is having a guilty conscience.

If you randomly had a SWAT team at your door you wouldn’t be startled and confused, maybe put your hands up immediately?

We live in a dystopian police state and bootlickers like you are why.

I apologize for trying to respond fairly and rationally to what I clearly see now is a trolling thread.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Dude...I'm critical in situations like this too, but the vast majority of police want to see as little of this fatal unprofessionalism as we do, whether it is labeled as murder or accidental shooting or anything in between. Even if it was just poor judgment and not a dirty cop as we've seen in other cases, it's not like it's all of them. I've even known of ranked police officers to make light of this sort of thing in the past, but with it being in the public eye more now than ever, you don't really get much of that anymore. It's online punditry that is more polarized than the police themselves, and more so all the time. There are still apologists out there wearing blue, but many want to be seen as a force for good and not as a danger to any random person at the wrong time. More bad cops and just plain bad decisions are being caught on camera now, so they are taking precautions to avoid these more than before when it was an officer's word against...pretty much anyone else's. I'm still dismayed at the current state of things, but they are taking steps to change it...and the attitudes of many officers is showing a big cultural shift as well.

Note that this statement isn't in regard to the current specific topic, but the fact that it's being relegated to the larger topic of police violence as it pertains to unarmed persons.

• Upvote 2

On 12/30/2017 at 11:35 AM, TheTastyGreek said:

I think, if the way we do policing in this country means that you can be completely innocent, have nothing to do with anything that led a police officer to your door, open immediately calmly and peacefully, put your hands up when instructed, and STILL be fatally shot within less than 10 seconds... Maybe we've taken a wrong turn on how we do policing. Maybe. 

I don't see how a rational, big-picture conversation on law enforcement procedures and training practices will result in the eye and tooth my side of the yelling feels it's due 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

No justification in the killing but they did not know the guy didnt make the call.  The gasoline all over the house mother and brother in a closet.  I think we are seeing more acts like this because our society has become so much more violent.  I watched video of cop being shot by a guy who had minor offense.  The officer chased him down without his gun drawn and when the police officer caught up to him he the pulled out a gun and shot the officer a few times.  Luckily the officer survived and it was all on video tape.  The guy who made the call should be charge with conspiracy to commit murder.   When I was in albuquerque the police got a call to do a welfare check on an individual, called made by the individual.  When the two officers showed up at his home he ambushed them killing  both officers.  They never had their guns out.  It has to be a highly stressful job and I doubt that i could do it.  I wish I had the answers for all this crap but I have no idea.  I dont think this guy had to make a split second decision in this manner.  The guys life could have been saved.  

• Upvote 2

---Maybe the caller ID was shown [ and spoofed ] to 911. BUT .. It they had actually entered that number into the phone and called ( not just returned the call ) ... they would have discovered it was fake especially since the caller wasn't even in the same area code... and not the guy that really called. There was nothing to lose by doing this. ... and he would not have been shot....  The police need to get smarter. ... also not so fast to shoot when aren't certain he has a gun and are at a rather safe distance....  This is terrible police work. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3