Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Something I HATE


El Paso Eagle
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I don't necessarily like it but I understand it and 90 is right....this started with coaches doing what's best for their financial selves.  And yes....a player should do what's best for his family. These prospects promised momma a new house when they signed their LOI out of high school. Hard to put that at risk when you're so close.

The challenge will be when it's not a "meaningless" bowl. An Ohio St player skipped the Cotton Bowl last night (can't remember his name) for his draft status. This is probably the top bowl not in a playoff.

Where's the line? It will be interesting to see what happens when a NC semi final game is skipped. It will happen.

 

 

With that, Baker Mayfield should skip the test of the season. He might get hurt playing. The remaining teams are all top notch defenses. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Right, because it’s not like coaches screw over players and leave for a better job before the bowl game, right? 

And every school refuses to pull scholarships if the player turns out to be a bust, right? 

Good for these kids. They are making smart decisions to protect their future earnings FOR THE REST OF THEIR VERY SHORT NFL CAREER. 

What this poster really means is “I want them to do what’s best for me because, dangummit, I like me some college football and I could give a crap about any kid actually playing it!”

Tough titty. Good for the kids. Hope they get paid as much as possible and have a successful NFL career.  

Where do you draw the line?  The 4 playoff teams have 3 of the best defenses in FBS. Should Baker Mayfield skip the playoffs?  With your logic...yes he should. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Where do you draw the line?  The 4 playoff teams have 3 of the best defenses in FBS. Should Baker Mayfield skip the playoffs?  With your logic...yes he should. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anybody said players *should* skip their bowl game. Speaking for myself, I understand and respect the decision even though I would rather the best players compete through the end of their college career. After all, it is their decision and their future. I used to disagree with the decision but seeing the financial impact late injuries have had on some of these guys, I really can't hold it against them.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/29/2017 at 2:23 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I cannot stand the players who sit out Bowl games to "not risk" themselves for the upcoming draft. 

CBS just interviewed the Defensive star for NC State - not about the team (still loves them) but "looking out for himself"

I know others might disagree but this is not one of the good things.

Most bowl games are pure money grab for everyone but the players.  They are meaningless.   I am not for players getting paid for regular season games.   However I think is only fair they get a cut of bowl game revenue.   A payout for getting to the game and a bonus for winning would encourage more guys to play.  The bowl season and playoff need to be changed.  I would like to see a reduction of bowl games or the playoff be set up between the 4 highest ranked bowl game winners after the bowls are done.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

With that, Baker Mayfield should skip the test of the season. He might get hurt playing. The remaining teams are all top notch defenses. 

I don't think "should he" is the discussion. 

If he CHOSE to.....what should the reaction be?

That's the discussion. 

None of them "SHOULD"......unless they choose to

That's kind of the point no? In Baker Mayfield's situation.....it's up to Baker Mayfield.

Now....if he were to call me up and ask "hey do you think I should play for a national championship?" What would I say? I would recommend playing. But then again it's not up to me....

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure..and probably shouldn't have played those 12 regular season games either. You know...might have gotten hurt.  Nothing says teammate like sitting out because "I might get hurt" and the rest of you guys don't matter. Just show me the money. Looks like there is an "I" in team after all.

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Sure..and probably shouldn't have played those 12 regular season games either. You know...might have gotten hurt.  Nothing says teammate like sitting out because "I might get hurt" and the rest of you guys don't matter. Just show me the money. Looks like there is an "I" in team after all.

No I but there is a me... 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big fat YAWN from me.  You signing a scholarship right? Free school? Ok cool you'll be playing for ______ UNIVERSITY until our season is over. If not, go ahead and stay home (no bowl trip for you) oh and you owe us for the final semester you were with us.  Here's the bill. 

  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Big fat YAWN from me.  You signing a scholarship right? Free school? Ok cool you'll be playing for ______ UNIVERSITY until our season is over. If not, go ahead and stay home (no bowl trip for you) oh and you owe us for the final semester you were with us.  Here's the bill. 

I thought college was to prepare you for your future not force you to make decisions based on capital gain for the University... 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Sure..and probably shouldn't have played those 12 regular season games either. You know...might have gotten hurt.  Nothing says teammate like sitting out because "I might get hurt" and the rest of you guys don't matter. Just show me the money. Looks like there is an "I" in team after all.

This is a terrible analogy. Students spend years preparing for the NFL, not just 12 games. If there wasn't millions of dollars on the line, this would be a different story but that's not the case. Or better yet, how many of y'all would go to work for free because you want to help the company make more money? Please, just stop. Athletics is a business, everyone is making sure they're covering their own ass because no one else will save them. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Dr. Seuss said:

This is a terrible analogy. Students spend years preparing for the NFL, not just 12 games. If there wasn't millions of dollars on the line, this would be a different story but that's not the case. Or better yet, how many of y'all would go to work for free because you want to help the company make more money? Please, just stop. Athletics is a business, everyone is making sure they're covering their own ass because no one else will save them. 

That false story of them playing for free has no merit. They are getting college and living expenses in trade for their efforts on the field. To sit out is a selfish act period. IF they are at a level they “should” sit out, then they are part of the bigger game plan. This act effects the level of talent on the field. This tells their teammates, sirrybguys, I have to take care of myself, yournon your own. Will they do that at the next level as well?  We are lot in the playoffs, I have a new contract coming up,so I am not going to play the rest of the year?  What about the fans who paid big money to see their favorite player in the 1 game they can afford to go see, but he decided not to play?

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

That false story of them playing for free has no merit. They are getting college and living expenses in trade for their efforts on the field. To sit out is a selfish act period. IF they are at a level they “should” sit out, then they are part of the bigger game plan. This act effects the level of talent on the field. This tells their teammates, sirrybguys, I have to take care of myself, yournon your own. Will they do that at the next level as well?  We are lot in the playoffs, I have a new contract coming up,so I am not going to play the rest of the year?  What about the fans who paid big money to see their favorite player in the 1 game they can afford to go see, but he decided not to play?

They're underpaid, plain and simple. Their job is to play football and if they want to sit out a game because of law of diminishing return, what ER or EE wouldn't skip that game.  What about the fans, the fans should be upset with the system that makes players want to sit out because the current process is broken. The NCAA makes too much money for players to be put in this situation. Don't get upset with the players, these are 18-22 year old kids who have more riding on their future than the selfish fan who gets some bragging rights because their team won. 

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Downvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Big fat YAWN from me.  You signing a scholarship right? Free school? Ok cool you'll be playing for ______ UNIVERSITY until our season is over. If not, go ahead and stay home (no bowl trip for you) oh and you owe us for the final semester you were with us.  Here's the bill. 

I'm sure the HC can pay for that final semester with the bonus money he got from his star player helping get the team to a bowl game. Surely 23 TFL and 10 Sacks had something to do with the 9-4 record.

  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Chiefs are a 3.5pt dog today at Denver.

The Broncos are four games back in the standings behind the Chiefs but when you couple home field with a high probability that the Chiefs aren't going to go all out to win, the Broncos are favored. The Chiefs have clinched the division but can't gain one of the two first-round byes so why play hard to win?

Bowls are great for the guys will never play again after college, they are an opportunity for the people who are on the bubble of UDFA or late round, and the late round vs middle round bubble but if you can't improve your draft stock but only hurt it, then sit. Isn't the point of college trying to best prepare young people for the future?

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dr. Seuss said:

 Or better yet, how many of y'all would go to work for free because you want to help the company make more money? 

This is a terrible analogy.  They have received a free education that prepares them for life along with all the extras that go along with it.  Sure, you can say they are underpaid, but every time revenue/donations increase, they also receive better coaching, better facilities, etc...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dr. Seuss said:

They're underpaid, plain and simple. Their job is to play football and if they want to sit out a game because of law of diminishing return, what ER or EE wouldn't skip that game.  What about the fans, the fans should be upset with the system that makes players want to sit out because the current process is broken. The NCAA makes too much money for players to be put in this situation. Don't get upset with the players, these are 18-22 year old kids who have more riding on their future than the selfish fan who gets some bragging rights because their team won. 

I'm pretty sure every college athlete ever knew what they were getting into when they willingly and excitedly signed their national letter of intent.  I wish I would have been talented enough to have been screwed over by a university who was making money off of me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2017 at 4:36 PM, Mike Jackson said:

Most bowl games are pure money grab for everyone but the players.  They are meaningless.   I am not for players getting paid for regular season games.   However I think is only fair they get a cut of bowl game revenue.   A payout for getting to the game and a bonus for winning would encourage more guys to play.  The bowl season and playoff need to be changed.  I would like to see a reduction of bowl games or the playoff be set up between the 4 highest ranked bowl game winners after the bowls are done.  

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/12/16740312/bowl-game-gifts-2017-players

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Big fat YAWN from me.  You signing a scholarship right? Free school? Ok cool you'll be playing for ______ UNIVERSITY until our season is over. If not, go ahead and stay home (no bowl trip for you) oh and you owe us for the final semester you were with us.  Here's the bill. 

The Rooty Mcpoo Luby's bowl isn't worth being set for life if you are a projected high draft pick. More than worth the cost of your proposed plan ace 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

The Rooty Mcpoo Luby's bowl isn't worth being set for life if you are a projected high draft pick. More than worth the cost of your proposed plan ace 

Should Baker Mayfield sit out?  He alr day is set for the draft. The only thing he is playing for is a silly ring by this standard. The money he will make dwarfs that ring. What if he blows out a knee or shoulder?  He is done

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Should Baker Mayfield sit out?  He alr day is set for the draft. The only thing he is playing for is a silly ring by this standard. The money he will make dwarfs that ring. What if he blows out a knee or shoulder?  He is done

Ridiculous comparison, he's playing for a national championship. The other 38 bowl games are menial at best. 

Edited by shootermcgavin44
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2017 at 12:23 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

I don't necessarily like it but I understand it and 90 is right....this started with coaches doing what's best for their financial selves.  And yes....a player should do what's best for his family. These prospects promised momma a new house when they signed their LOI out of high school. Hard to put that at risk when you're so close.

The challenge will be when it's not a "meaningless" bowl. An Ohio St player skipped the Cotton Bowl last night (can't remember his name) for his draft status. This is probably the top bowl not in a playoff.

Where's the line? It will be interesting to see what happens when a NC semi final game is skipped. It will happen.

 

 

The line is if the game actually means something. So there are 3 bowl games a year that actually count 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.