Ranking the top five most exciting games of the fall semester

Skipper

My old college roommate & I were almost out of  Apogee when we heard the crowd noise on the play right before Lawrence's clutch catch.  We quickly came back inside near the Wing Zone & were not believing what we were seeing & fixin' to see.   Not sure any offensive drive I saw for any UNT football game since 1973 was as exciting.

I mean you had to be near the Wing Zone to see grown men from all decades on the Apogee mezzanine acting like school girls at a Taylor Swift concert after that game winning catch.  (I'm still not sure how Mason Fine ever got rid of that ball looking at how UTSA blitzed).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I love VBall and as VBall goes that WKY win was great.  But the Army and UTSA games had what...200 times more in attendance than the V ball game, thus 200 times more excitement? You cannot compare the two.

Rick

I am not on board with people in attendance automatically meaning more exciting.  Arguably the most exciting football game I ever was at was the Utah State game in '97 and there were probably like....500 people in Fouts.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

My old college roommate & I were almost out of  Apogee when we heard the crowd noise on the play right before Lawrence's clutch catch.  We quickly came back inside near the Wing Zone & were not believing what we were seeing & fixin' to see.   Not sure any offensive drive I saw for any UNT football game since 1973 was as exciting.

I mean you had to be near the Wing Zone to see grown men from all decades on the Apogee mezzanine acting like school girls at a Taylor Swift concert after that game winning catch.  (I'm still not sure how Mason Fine ever got rid of that ball looking at how UTSA blitzed).

GMG!

FFR and I were a couple of those grown men (not acting like school girls) standing in the wingzone portal and looking on in disbelief (and ultimately delight) at the last play of the game. I've gone to North Texas games on a regular basis sometime during the 1976 season. The 75 Tennessee game (which I didn't attend) with it's kick-off-return-winning-play ranks up there in excitment with the UTSA and Army games. 

9 hours ago, UNT86 said:

No problem with the girls taking #1.

I too would have flipped SA and Army.

I will have to respectfully disagree with your professional opinion on this issue. And my reason for that is that by the time we played Army our fan expectation (at least mine anyway) was that North Texas was never going to be out of any game as long as we were within a touchdown of winning, and we had at least one minute on the clock. The UAB and UTSA games did that for us. 

We finally have a player on the North Texas team that shows up with his (metaphorical)  "I didn't come here to lose" t-shirt on under this football uniform. AND he has infected many of his teammates with the same philosophy/attitude. (Well, the offense anyway). And this infection is starting to spread to the fan base.

Which is why, with a little more than a minute on the clock in the Army game, just after Army scored to go ahead, myself and FFR and Emmitt said to the Army fans sitting around us....."you scored too soon.......we have more than enough time to score".  How many times in the History of North Texas football have fans had that level of confidence/attitude?

Thank goodness we have two more years of someone infecting future starters (and fans) with a "I didn't come here to lose" attitude/belief. 

BTW, Mason Fine was in charge of the final drive in the UTSA game, but the glory should be equally shared with Lawrence and Bussy. Fine threw to a spot, but it was those two receivers that (with extraordinary effort) took it from there. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

GMG!

I was one of this grown men in the wing jumping up and down screaming and hugging strangers. Top 5 sports moments I have witnessed for sure

• Upvote 1

I guess it'll be left up to the ol' "Test of Time" measuring stick.  

Lets see which has most people still talking about 10 years from now?

1) A 5th game win over a ranked Western Kentucky in VBall in front of maybe 250-500 fans?

or

2) A last second come from behind win over a pain in our ass program like UTSA that ended with a last minute 98 yard drive that has already been tabbed and marketed through multiple social media outlets and news media as THE DRIVE in front of 22k.

or....

3) A back and fourth, nail biting shootout win on homecoming in front of 27k against a historically recognized program such as Army West Point that finalized our first ever 6-0 home game record in program history.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I sadly missed the UTSA game. A 98 yard drive  with no timeouts and seconds left....WOW.

However, I was at the Army game, and that was a heck of a game.  

Littrell's quick decision to run one more play after Army  attempted to freeze the kicker was pretty sharp.

That might have been the most important play of the game.  We will never know  if the field  goal would have been good from the longer distance.

Great win!

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

I guess it'll be left up to the ol' "Test of Time" measuring stick.  

Lets see which has most people still talking about 10 years from now?

1) A 5th game win over a ranked Western Kentucky in VBall in front of maybe 250-500 fans?

or

2) A last second come from behind win over a pain in our ass program like UTSA that ended with a last minute 98 yard drive that has already been tabbed and marketed through multiple social media outlets and news media as THE DRIVE in front of 22k.

or....

3) A back and fourth, nail biting shootout win on homecoming in front of 27k against a historically recognized program such as Army West Point that finalized our first ever 6-0 home game record in program history.

Rick

VBall game had more than 250-500, capacity is around 700.. We can say it’s discounted but it it was way more packed than Apogee has ever been..  but they flat out won a championship vs a ranked team while our FBALL gets bent over on the national stage.. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

VBall game had more than 250-500, capacity is around 700.. We can say it’s discounted but it it was way more packed than Apogee has ever been..  but they flat out won a championship vs a ranked team while our FBALL gets bent over on the national stage.. 

They didn't win a championship against Western Kentucky.  They won it the next game against Middle.  I was there and I have pics of the girls receiving their championship t shirts...and there wasn't 200 people in the whole place.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

They didn't win a championship against Western Kentucky.  They won it the next game against Middle.  I was there and I have pics of the girls receiving their championship t shirts...and there wasn't 200 people in the whole place.

Rick

Weren’t 200 people at the MTSU game because they were at the football stadium for homecoming. Also, true they didn’t win it vs WKU but MTSU was not a good team and someone UNT should have beaten.. 

Unfortunately was not at the Western Kentucky volleyball match, but #TheDrive against UTSA will undoubtedly be my favorite Mean Green moment as a student. Guys around me were cursing and heading for the exits after the terrible play call on fourth down the possession before. But with three timeouts, I knew there was enough time for a stop and score, even when the UTSA punt was downed at our 2.

Not taking anything away from the volleyball ladies, though. I was finally able to catch their last three games at home in 2017 and they are one hell of a team. Now that I have a normal full time job with normal hours, I will make sure to make it out to more games in 2018.

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2017 at 3:29 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Actually they won a regular season co-championship.  Went to the tournament finals and lost to WKU.  They ended on a very sour note losing at home to TCU in the NIT who finished 4-12 in the Big 8.   

None of that matters as the question is the most exciting games of the year, and I certainly believe that match should be included.  The  UTSA and Army football games were obviously also not games were as you put it NT bent over.

• Downvote 1

On 12/28/2017 at 5:04 PM, qbmann2 said:

I was at  both the UTSA and the Army game, and I don't know how you can decide on which one was better. If our them can start

doing this every year we will definitely start being notice by the national media.

This would be great, but I prefer that the Denton Community, and then surrounding communities take notice. And then those 100K (or much more, depending on who you talk to) NT graduates living in the metroplex. 

On 12/28/2017 at 5:04 PM, qbmann2 said:

I was at  both the UTSA and the Army game, and I don't know how you can decide on which one was better.

UTSA, undoubtedly. We all know how important UTSA was, so I'll just talk about the Army game.

With how little effort each team was putting into scoring touchdowns, I wish the game would have ended with a touchdown. A field goal would have been fine had time actually expired on the kick. To me, there's just something anticlimatic about game-winning field goals with five seconds still on the clock.