The number is 9 now

Eagleisland

7 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Put down? dude I have been saying we need to expect more! You and others that defend it as a legitimate 9-win are putting them down and the program.. Don’t be okay with a 3 UAB win, when most everyone in that prediction thread called for a blow out.. 

Saying it’s okay for us to have close games vs teams that we should be beating down is pathetic.. Army shouldn’t have hung around that long.. UTSA had 0 offense this year but still produced vs our defense.. LT had a baseball player at QB and hung around for us to win because they missed potential GW FG. These are games we should have won by 14+ but didnt. 

But games we still won. 9-5.

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Put down? dude I have been saying we need to expect more! You and others that defend it as a legitimate 9-win are putting them down and the program.. Don’t be okay with a 3 UAB win, when most everyone in that prediction thread called for a blow out.. 

Saying it’s okay for us to have close games vs teams that we should be beating down is pathetic.. Army shouldn’t have hung around that long.. UTSA had 0 offense this year but still produced vs our defense.. LT had a baseball player at QB and hung around for us to win because they missed potential GW FG. These are games we should have won by 14+ but didnt. 

I only expected a 6 win season so I'd say my expectations were exceeded. I would have liked to win more games by 3 or more touchdowns but that doesn't always happen. Close games are a part of the game. They happen. Sometimes is better to be lucky than good. Seems we were lucky more often than being good this past season. It happens. I feel like we were due having the ball bounce our way a few times for once. I'm certainly not going to put down the team who outperformed on most fans pre-season expectations.

When we lost, we lost big. I hated seeing it but it still happened. Doesn't mean I found the performance acceptable.

I want to see the defense improve next season. If we're still lighting up the score board on offense next season yet the defense is allowing teams to stay in games, maybe Littrell needs to take a look at the Defensive Coordinator and evaluate whether a change in direction is required.

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, MattMakesLoans said:

This is the type of post that makes me think we should shut the message board down in the off season.  Posts so blind by their rage, they ignore simple fact.  Fanatical rage, nothing more.

But then when would we get our fill of uniform talk?

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

Pretty much sums you up. Probably watched a rerun of the Gary Patterson show. Wish you'd migrate over to their board.

No, I was actually at a loved one’s college graduation. Probably like a bunch of other Alumni. Wouldn’t have watched, anyway, though. Playing a perceived crap team from a crap conference.

And you don’t have to worry about my fandom. It, along with my money, is slowly fading away from UNT athletics. This is the point where you say “good riddance! Who needs you!!!!!11!!1!.” Hey, maybe you are right. But realize there ain’t any line to take my place. It’s why UNT is what it is and what it always will be: a bottom of the barrel G5 program. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

19 hours ago, greenminer said:

"Because it's the AD's responsibility to" seems like a scapegoat argument when you have nothing else to lean on.

I thought bowl games were rewards - gifts, if you will - for teams that did well.  Suggesting that the AD is supposed to go out there and sell our program to potential suitors is weird to me.  Like telling your friend he needs to write an essay to his parents explaining why he is entitled to a specific gift at Christmas.

I get the counterpoint: this is not a gift exchange and we're paying this guy (Wren) tons of money, but the debate wigs me out.  Where do we draw the line of reasonable expectations when it comes to Wren's responsibilities?  I'd rather be discussing how we can win bigger, better, and more often than split hairs about the AD's role in politicking post-season.

A man of reason

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

No, I was actually at a loved one’s college graduation. Probably like a bunch of other Alumni. Wouldn’t have watched, anyway, though. Playing a perceived crap team from a crap conference.

And you don’t have to worry about my fandom. It, along with my money, is slowly fading away from UNT athletics. This is the point where you say “good riddance! Who needs you!!!!!11!!1!.” Hey, maybe you are right. But realize there ain’t any line to take my place. It’s why UNT is what it is and what it always will be: a bottom of the barrel G5 program. 

Bye

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The reality of it is, we won 9 games. You need to see reality. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The worst 9 win team in the nation that got dismantled numerous times on national TV.. Great way to brand the program!

Congrats. Your the first person I've had to block. Just getting ridiculously dumb now. Starting to think you must have been some of the dead wood dismissed from the athletic department. Truly nothing else explains this take. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Congrats. Your the first person I've had to block. Just getting ridiculously dumb now. Starting to think you must have been some of the dead wood dismissed from the athletic department. Truly nothing else explains this take. 

Congrats to me I guess..

I’m also starting to think the AD has some type of dirt on for you to think this is a legitimate 9 win team, and not a 6-7 win team that won 9

• Downvote 7

6 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

The reality of it is, we won 9 games. You need to see reality. 

Don't read for a couple of days and now this thread makes no sense at all. It started talking about the being nine bowl games with lower attendance than the NO bowl. It seems to have morphed into a discussion about our team only winning 6 games. Not sure how that is true - the scoreboard reads 9 wins. 

I can understand not counting moral victories, but victories where the final score has us ahead of the other team pretty much means we won. How much is completely immaterial. Without looking, how many games on our other nine win seasons were by less than seven points? Don't know? Neither does anyone else - all that matters is the nine wins. There's nothing left for rational discussion! 

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Sooo, how did this thread re: how 9 bowl games have had lower attendence than the New Orleans Bowl turn into a pissing match about whether we had 9 "legitimate" wins or not?  Not only has this thread been hijacked, its been hijacked so badly that it's heading to Cuba right now for refueling demands and 500k in cash before the hostages will be released.

Edited by vpackrats
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The worst 9 win team in the nation that got dismantled numerous times on national TV.. Great way to brand the program!

Reminds me of the line in Pirates of the Caribbean. 

"You're the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But, you HAVE heard of me."

We may be the worst 9 win team you've ever seen, and maybe we did luck out into a few wins, but as Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

18 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Reminds me of the line in Pirates of the Caribbean. 

"You're the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But, you HAVE heard of me."

We may be the worst 9 win team you've ever seen, and maybe we did luck out into a few wins, but as Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are.

Yes our record shows we lucked out in a weak conference that gets blown out routinely.. 

Also, 9 wins and we still can’t get into the 5 of our conference in recruiting with us having a 2* average... Lol TXST the last time I saw was 2-10 and out-recruiting us..

• Downvote 8

6 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

Can you give me a refresher on how to block someone? I can't seem to find the right button in this updated format.

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Can you give me a refresher on how to block someone? I can't seem to find the right button in this updated format.

Click on your profile tab at the top right and click account and you should see 'manage ignored users' at the bottom.

I get the rising expectations. That's great. We absolutely should have rising expectations. But can't we just enjoy a 9-win season and division championship for a little bit. We spent the better part of the last decade losing almost every close game like those we won this year. Enjoy it. Remember that Portland State was only 26 months ago....our leadership deserves a lot of credit for this. 

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I get the rising expectations. That's great. We absolutely should have rising expectations. But can't we just enjoy a 9-win season and division championship for a little bit. We spent the better part of the last decade losing almost every close game like those we won this year. Enjoy it. Remember that Portland State was only 26 months ago....our leadership deserves a lot of credit for this. 

Agree.

This 9 wins not being 9 legitimate wins thing by @BTG_Fan1 is one of the worst sports takes I’ve ever read on this forum. That’s quite the dubious accomplishment.

• Upvote 1