The number is 9 now

Eagleisland

On 12/28/2017 at 12:05 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well, no, not “period”.  There was no “outflanking” by USM’s AD, unless you call having no choices & waiting around for someone to invite you as “outflanking”.

USM would have LOVED to go to the NO Bowl.  NO Bowl gave us an expiring offer.  After that, they would have likely extended an offer to USM & we would be waiting on the Indy Bowl to invite us.  With the right plays by our Commish, they would have... but WB chose to take the bird in hand (safer bet) instead over the NM bowl or the Frisco Bowl, just in case we didn’t get the call from the Indy committee (which, I’m almost certain we would have).

It did not matter one iota what FSU wanted.  They were stuck in the Indy Bowl no matter how much politicking they did (and they did... hence the delayed Indy invites), & they were not going to stay home.

CUSA Commish let 2 teams down regarding the Indy Bowl.  One of them would have likely won.  The other may have lost a little less than they did to a (top 25) SBC school.

Ah, taking the “safe” route. Ya, that’s what this program needs...

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 5

12 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

@UNT90 I normally disagree with you but I’m on the same page regarding the bowl game. Would rather lose 50-30 to a FSU squad people care about. Yes Troy is better than FSU, but literally nobody that isn’t a die hard cares. 

Yep. And that’s the point when you are trying to actually build something, which is what the AD should be trying to do. 

The whole “we are trying to win10 games to say we won 10 games” was 1) stupid and 2) something literally no one cared about. 

It was stupid because Troy was CLEARLY the better team and there was no chance to win the game. No one cared because it was Troy.

Just another mark in the long list of opportunities lost at UNT. I mean, it’s literally what we do.

On a side note, I see a poster bullied Ben by posting personal information publicly. It appears he wasn’t disciplined for it. It sad this place has devolved into a shaming mechanism for anyone that dares question UNT athletics. It’s a shame it’s allowed. It’s a shame it’s participated in by those who should certainly know better. But such is the state of this forum these days. Thank God There is alternate place to post.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Yes. 

Because UNT would have gotten two extra weeks of practice time.

Because UNT wouldn’t have gotten their teeth kicked in by an opponent from the Sun Belt, a conference this program spent years ineptly trying to escape from. 

Because UNT fans (like me) would have actually attended the bowl game. I didn’t even watch the Troy game on TV. 

Because UNT grads who don’t pay attention to UNT would have had their head turned by a game against a team that they perceived mattered. For almost a full month. Local media would have paid attention to UNT playing FSU. They didn’t for Troy. At all. In the 13 days between the conference championship game and bowl game.

You don’t understand our culture, so I get your questions. The sad thing is many fans here think the same way you do, which is why this is the dumbest fanbase in college football. By a long shot. 

You’re spot on with this. I didn’t watch the Troy game either. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

#olddenton wants to play FSU because it is the safe thing to do.  Comparing who it would be better to lose to as a way of deciding who to play?  That way of thinking is exactly how things were ran around here for 15 years.  Let's please don't go back to that way of thinking.

Every time there is a stumble, #olddenton comes out of the shadows and starts shouting, I Told You So!! 

Stop being scared of the past.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 12/27/2017 at 8:45 PM, Rudy said:

I was able to make my plans a week out, so unless you already have plans that weekend, that's not an excuse.  To say that  CUSA has a bad commissioner is an understatement.  From bad TV deals to having 4 of your 9 bowl teams play on the first day is a joke.  So far, Judy MacLeod is nothing more  than Karl Benson reincarnate.

My wife and I literally got tickets, made team hotel reservations, rented a car to drive down, bought plane tickets to fly back, got two nights of overnight care for our kids, and I got out of work 2 days before the game. I agree. no excuses. it was a super fun trip!

• Upvote 5

On 12/29/2017 at 8:58 AM, UNT90 said:

Yep. And that’s the point when you are trying to actually build something, which is what the AD should be trying to do. 

The whole “we are trying to win10 games to say we won 10 games” was 1) stupid and 2) something literally no one cared about. 

It was stupid because Troy was CLEARLY the better team and there was no chance to win the game. No one cared because it was Troy.

Just another mark in the long list of opportunities lost at UNT. I mean, it’s literally what we do.

On a side note, I see a poster bullied Ben by posting personal information publicly. It appears he wasn’t disciplined for it. It sad this place has devolved into a shaming mechanism for anyone that dares question UNT athletics. It’s a shame it’s allowed. It’s a shame it’s participated in by those who should certainly know better. But such is the state of this forum these days. Thank God There is alternate place to post.

redacted

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 6

4 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

#olddenton wants to play FSU because it is the safe thing to do.  Comparing who it would be better to lose to as a way of deciding who to play?  That way of thinking is exactly how things were ran around here for 15 years.  Let's please don't go back to that way of thinking.

Every time there is a stumble, #olddenton comes out of the shadows and starts shouting, I Told You So!! 

And getting our ass kicked by Troy in the NOLA Bowl is #newdenton? Hahahahahahahaha.

• Downvote 3

Just now, Ryan Munthe said:

And getting our ass kicked by Troy in the NOLA Bowl is #newdenton? Hahahahahahahaha.

So much fear.  We played a good team, and had a terrible 3rd quarter, ended up losing.  I do not judge my self worth on the outcome of the game.  We will lose some games when we play good competition.

Sitting in the shadows and waiting to shout I told you so every time we don't win?  #olddenton hahahahahahahaha

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

No, winning 9 games, winning the west, advancing to the CUSA title game for the first time ever, and playing in back to back bowl games for the first time since Coach Dickey was here is #NewDenton

Some of our fans need some perspective.  2 years since Seth got here and we've seen an 8 win improvement in end of year record.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

So much fear.  We played a good team, and had a terrible 3rd quarter, ended up losing.  I do not judge my self worth on the outcome of the game.  We will lose some games when we play good competition.

Sitting in the shadows and waiting to shout I told you so every time we don't win?  #olddenton hahahahahahahaha

We got blown in 4 of 5 games we played good competition. Iowa sleepwalked by us, an below average SMU team put up 50+, FAU easily could have put 70+ in both games but tapped the brakes, Troy bullied on both sides of ball putting up 50 with out 3 of their better players, only good team team beat was Army and that was a shoot-out. 

The naysayers would be fine if we were competitive in games against good competition, but the team was not competitive and FAU and SMU games score was closer because of garbage time TD's. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

No matter how much you polish a turd, the Mean Green got waxed in the NO Bowl like we did in the SBC days, losing to Troy like we did in the Sun Belt days in front of a few fans, like the Sun Belt days. #olddenton

How would possibly be beating FSU in the Independence Bowl be old Denton? How would be losing to FSU in the Independence Bowl be old Denton? This makes no sense.

As I’ve said, at least Rick would’ve known to turn down the NO Bowl, because at least he knew the importance of keeping distance from the SBC schools.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

5 minutes ago, untbowler said:

We got blown in 4 of 5 games we played good competition. Iowa sleepwalked by us, an below average SMU team put up 50+, FAU easily could have put 70+ in both games but tapped the brakes, Troy bullied on both sides of ball putting up 50 with out 3 of their better players, only good team team beat was Army and that was a shoot-out. 

The naysayers would be fine if we were competitive in games against good competition, but the team was not competitive and FAU and SMU games score was closer because of garbage time TD's. 

Not really true.  We won 4 of the 9 games where we were underdogs (i.e. against supposed better competition).  We beat 4 bowl teams (USM, UAB, Latech, Army).  It sucks that we lost the last two games, but it doesn't mean that it wasn't a good season.

Most people had us winning 6 games.  We overachieved a little.  We need to take another step next year.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

12 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

No matter how much you polish a turd, the Mean Green got waxed in the NO Bowl like we did in the SBC days, losing to Troy like we did in the Sun Belt days in front of a few fans, like the Sun Belt days. #olddenton

How would possibly be beating FSU in the Independence Bowl be old Denton? How would be losing to FSU in the Independence Bowl be old Denton? This makes no sense.

As I’ve said, at least Rick would’ve known to turn down the NO Bowl, because at least he knew the importance of keeping distance from the SBC schools.

So, you think Rick was the answer and knew how to run things 'right?'  I guess this explains a lot.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Yes. 

Because UNT would have gotten two extra weeks of practice time.

Because UNT wouldn’t have gotten their teeth kicked in by an opponent from the Sun Belt, a conference this program spent years ineptly trying to escape from. 

Because UNT fans (like me) would have actually attended the bowl game. I didn’t even watch the Troy game on TV. 

Because UNT grads who don’t pay attention to UNT would have had their head turned by a game against a team that they perceived mattered. For almost a full month. Local media would have paid attention to UNT playing FSU. They didn’t for Troy. At all. In the 13 days between the conference championship game and bowl game.

You don’t understand our culture, so I get your questions. The sad thing is many fans here think the same way you do, which is why this is the dumbest fanbase in college football. By a long shot. 

Shockingly, I agree but don't understand the need to make the last statement. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

I hope we will some day. I hope for more of a "play anyone, anywhere and win attitude." The whole it's better to lose to X over Y really is #olddenton.

As for playing for a small crowd, the whole point of this thread is nine bowl games so far had smaller announced crowds. 

The Indy Bowl made it clear that IF theyhad to take a CUSA team, they wanted Southern Miss. It appears to have been based on internal politics of the committee, not some "failure" of the CUSA commissioner or Baker. I've read the Indy was looking ANY P5 team and had they found old they would have used an escape clause to bypass a CUSA team altogether. At least that is what I've read from people who's views have proven true in the past. 

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Ah, taking the “safe” route. Ya, that’s what this program needs...

There are a ton of moving parts in a bowl selection.  Putting it all on WB is not fair to him.

Honestly, given all of the circumstances (NO Bowl’s expiring offer with SoMiss just down the road, ineptitude in the CUSA office, & Indy Bowl’s pussyfooting), WBs decision was probably the best one.  It’s just frustrating.

1 minute ago, VideoEagle said:

I hope we will some day. I hope for more of a "play anyone, anywhere and win attitude." The whole it's better to lose to X over Y really is #olddenton.

As for playing for a small crowd, the whole point of this thread is nine bowl games so far had smaller announced crowds. 

The Indy Bowl made it clear that IF theyhad to take a CUSA team, they wanted Southern Miss. It appears to have been based on internal politics of the committee, not some "failure" of the CUSA commissioner or Baker. I've read the Indy was looking ANY P5 team and had they found old they would have used an escape clause to bypass a CUSA team altogether. At least that is what I've read from people who's views have proven true in the past. 

Indy Bowl committee was at the Army game.  I assume they liked what they saw.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Indy Bowl committee was at the Army game.  I assume they liked what they saw.

Representatives of the committee were at the Army game, not the whole committee. They could be wrong, but I've read things from folks closer to the committee that it became political and the majority wanted Southern Miss if they had to take a CUSA team. 

I have to believe the Indy Bowl was working hard to try an get TTech or WVU to their game and when they couldn't get one of them, they essentially expected us to wait around and hope that they would give us some scraps.

Remember that time when Fry was still here and the Indy Bowl selected Latech and snubbed North Texas even though we had beaten Latech handily earlier in the season and we had 9 wins?  Sound familiar?  I hope they file for BK.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

No, winning 9 games, winning the west, advancing to the CUSA title game for the first time ever, and playing in back to back bowl games for the first time since Coach Dickey was here is #NewDenton

Some of our fans need some perspective.  2 years since Seth got here and we've seen an 8 win improvement in end of year record.

stop using this damn 2 years ago.. it’s so old and dumb.. This staff has had a # of their guys playing.. 2 of the 3 LBs are Reffs Guys, 3 of the 5 DBs are reffs Guys, 3 young DL in the rotation are Reff guys..

3 of the 5 OL are SL Guys, QB was SL Guy, 2 of the 3 main RBs (Smith and Johnson) are SL Guys.. 4 of the top 5 WRs are SL Guys.. the only spot not SL guys are the TEs.. 

the logic we say look far we have come is great but this is SL squad and his guys. Not many of Macs guys are playing 

• Downvote 1