The number is 9 now

Eagleisland

Nine bowls so far this season have had less attendance then this year's maligned by some New Orleans Bowl. These are the Cure Bowl in Orlando, the Carmillla Bowl in Montgomery, the Frisco Bowl. the Bahamas Bowl, Gasparilla Bowl in St. Petersburg, the Idaho Potato Bowl in Boise, the Hawaii Bowl, the Heart of Dallas Bowl and the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit.

• Upvote 8
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

North Texas could have done more in New Orleans, but lets face it - the weekend was rough from a timing perspective.  I thought the NOB had more atmosphere than some of what I have been watching.  We just need a bowl game, any bowl game first.  Followed by a bowl game in our region.  Let's win the West again and keep on beating down those championship doors.

This Florida State speed kills.

GMG

• Upvote 2

There weren't many people on here disrespecting the NOB itself. It's a fine, average bowl. The problem was the totality of the circumstances which made it basically a lose/lose. We may not have had a choice and that's fine. But it was less than ideal. Just because it's inflated (probably more than double) attendance figures are better than 9 other bowls doesn't change that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

39 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

There weren't many people on here disrespecting the NOB itself. It's a fine, average bowl. The problem was the totality of the circumstances which made it basically a lose/lose. We may not have had a choice and that's fine. But it was less than ideal. Just because it's inflated (probably more than double) attendance figures are better than 9 other bowls doesn't change that. 

May not have had a choice? It’s the responsibility of the Athletic Department to make sure that NEVER happens as the West Champs of CUSA. Ever. 

Last year when we didn’t even deserve a bowl invite? Sure, take what you can get. THis year? The AD got outflanked by a more experienced USM AD.

Period. 

Oh, FSU team speed kills? Well, so did Troy’s. And at least USM gets an opponent worth 2 craps Inc the eyes of their uniformed fans.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 18

24 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

May not have had a choice? It’s the responsibility of the Athletic Department to make sure that NEVER happens as the West Champs of CUSA. Ever. 

Last year when we didn’t even deserve a bowl invite? Sure, take what you can get. THis year? The AD got outflanked by a more experienced USM AD.

Period. 

Oh, FSU team speed kills? Well, so did Troy’s. And at least USM gets an opponent worth 2 craps Inc the eyes of their uniformed fans.

Yes, MAY not have had a choice. I was vocally against the NOB, but I am not privy to the knowledge necessary to make a definitive statement on how it all happened. I guess one can always throw out the generic "oh, well our administration should have done better", but there's a better chance than not that we were not the most powerful entity in the room. I think the odd FAU/Akron matchup tells you there was plenty of funny business going on. 

• Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Yes, MAY not have had a choice. I was vocally against the NOB, but I am not privy to the knowledge necessary to make a definitive statement on how it all happened. I guess one can always throw out the generic "oh, well our administration should have done better", but there's a better chance than not that we were not the most powerful entity in the room. I think the odd FAU/Akron matchup tells you there was plenty of funny business going on. 

And it’s the AD’s job to navigate that funny business. That’s my point. USM AD didn’t seem to have a problem. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 11

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And it’s the AD’s job to navigate that funny business. That’s my point. USM AD didn’t seem to have a problem. 

Our AD spent his time trying to set up a bowl appearance against Liberty.  The NCAA just wouldn't go for it.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

The New Orleans bowl was only missing a few ingredients: 

1. A UNT win

2. More UNT fans

3. A UNT party bar pre and post game

the date is always going to pose a challenge.  So if you are not graduating that weekend of 2018, start saving now for an amazingly fun destination and weekend!  I personally don’t think we get there next year but prep time for that trip to boca and New Orleans or New Mexico is vital. 

You don’t want to miss Fine and Littrell’s first Bowl Win!  Heck let’s make our trip to pig land like a bowl game with fan hotel, fan bar, fan tailgate and friendly travel packages.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, NM Green said:

1. A UNT win

2. More UNT fans

the date is always going to pose a challenge.  So if you are not graduating that weekend of 2018, start saving now for an amazingly fun destination and weekend!  I personally don’t think we get there next year but prep time for that trip to boca and New Orleans or New Mexico is vital. 

You don’t want to miss Fine and Littrell’s first Bowl Win!  Heck let’s make our trip to pig land like a bowl game with fan hotel, fan bar, fan tailgate and friendly travel packages.

GMG

4. An opponent that is recognized by the spare to fair college football fan  (no offense to Troy)

5. A date post-Christmas

• Upvote 3

Our bowl situation as a Conference is equal to the SBC and MAC. That’s because we are on the low end of the totem pole, as conferences. Then, the I-Bowl showed us and FAU just how little we mattered by saying we would prefer a bad USM team over y’all because of name recognition and their belief in the Southern Miss fanbase over ours. It was a total slap in the face, even if it was because USM has an AD with more experience than us. CUSA’s commissioner should have made it clear who was going where instead of just shrugging their shoulders and saying, “Oh well...UNT and FAU will get over it.”

This is what we face across college football. We are viewed by everyone as being a nobody, a perennial loser, and having no fans. It’s not true anymore, but reality hasn’t overtaken perception yet. And it’s why those on here that hate on the MWC are amongst the most clueless fans out there. We will NEVER go higher if we can’t get away from most of these SBCUSA teams. If we could ever go west with UTEP, UTSA, and Rice, but choose not too, that would be our next I-AA demotion we will have chosen. So pray the Big XII stays together for many more years and makes the MWC go to CUSA West Teams to get Texas exposure again.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Downvote 4

I would’ve been able to make the HoD, Indy, etc but couldn’t make NOLA. It’s an awful weekend and too early to make advance plans. A lot of our fans clearly felt the same way.

It’s a bottom five bowl no matter how you slice it, and we had no business playing in it, especially against desperate programs like Troy with a dangerous team.

CUSA has a really bad commissioner. AAC’s “P6” thing is dumb but they have a commissioner who is making that perception reality. Meanwhile, our passive commissioner is letting our division champs play MAC and CUSA scrubs.

Perception is reality.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

MW is a clear step up from CUSA. It has to be our goal. Only small time thinkers wanting to drive to San Antonio and Ruston will argue. Go to games on Friday nights for your regional rivalries. MW membership would require a higher commitment. Let’s do it! It may not be what is best for your personal preferences, but it is definitely what is best for NT.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Period. 

A) None of this is true

B)Our AD actually has more experience.

But carry on being a jack@$$

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, NM Green said:

1. A UNT win

2. More UNT fans

GMG

As a reminder, 3 of CUSA's 6 bowl ties are that weekend. Makes it tough.

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I would’ve been able to make the HoD, Indy, etc but couldn’t make NOLA. It’s an awful weekend and too early to make advance plans. A lot of our fans clearly felt the same way.

It’s a bottom five bowl no matter how you slice it, and we had no business playing in it, especially against desperate programs like Troy with a dangerous team.

CUSA has a really bad commissioner. AAC’s “P6” thing is dumb but they have a commissioner who is making that perception reality. Meanwhile, our passive commissioner is letting our division champs play MAC and CUSA scrubs.

Perception is reality.

I was able to make my plans a week out, so unless you already have plans that weekend, that's not an excuse.  To say that  CUSA has a bad commissioner is an understatement.  From bad TV deals to having 4 of your 9 bowl teams play on the first day is a joke.  So far, Judy MacLeod is nothing more  than Karl Benson reincarnate.

• Upvote 5