‘19 RB Garrison Johnson (Manvel)

BTG_Fan1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

I wonder if people are quick to look at our RBs as a path to understand/justify why we struggled so much when he went down.  The loss of Easly coincided with the exact same time we started struggling.

I agree with your post. Regarding the loss of Easly coinciding with when we started struggling, it's unfortunate if people view that as an indicator of Easly being better than Torrey. Losing Easly also coincided with us losing Kemon Hall for several games, arguably our best defensive player, and Mason Fine getting hurt. It was the first game all year where we got banged up. Fine was never the same after that game. It's obvious he was playing hurt considering how often he finished games hobbling after the LT game.

Personally, I prefer Easly over Torrey as a lead back because our offense lacks physicality. We don't really have a big, physical receiver or TE that is heavily used. Easly gave us balance that was greatly needed. We'll need him next year no matter how good Torrey is.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I agree with your post. Regarding the loss of Easly coinciding with when we started struggling, it's unfortunate if people view that as an indicator of Easly being better than Torrey. Losing Easly also coincided with us losing Kemon Hall for several games, arguably our best defensive player, and Mason Fine getting hurt. It was the first game all year where we got banged up. Fine was never the same after that game. It's obvious he was playing hurt considering how often he finished games hobbling after the LT game.

Personally, I prefer Easly over Torrey as a lead back because our offense lacks physicality. We don't really have a big, physical receiver or TE that is heavily used. Easly gave us balance that was greatly needed. We'll need him next year no matter how good Torrey is.

Easley will be back next season ready to go and he did not lose eligibility for this past year since he only played 4 games.

44 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Easley will be back next season ready to go and he did not lose eligibility for this past year since he only played 4 games.

He already had to sit out a season when he transferred here, right?  That was his redshirt season.  So his 5-year eligibility clock was ticking this year, and he has one year left.

Either way, I'm more worried about his ability to return to form following his injury.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Buisness decision on the recruits part. Understandable. Doesn't mean NT has to like it, but given where NT is this season in recruiting it will not make a big difference. In fact, having space for someone else may be a blessing in disguise (still don't really have that), as right now locking up players has gone so well that it tied SLs hands at being opportunistic.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

He already had to sit out a season when he transferred here, right?  That was his redshirt season.  So his 5-year eligibility clock was ticking this year, and he has one year left.

Either way, I'm more worried about his ability to return to form following his injury.

Maybe he'll qualify for an injury waiver, the mystical "medical redshirt" to get a 6th year of eligibility?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Maybe he'll qualify for an injury waiver, the mystical "medical redshirt" to get a 6th year of eligibility?

1 hour ago, RiseUNT said:

I thought he came from fcs?

Yes, I think 2 years have to be affected by injury to get the 6th year.  You cannot take a standard redshirt any year and still get 6th year eligibility.  At least that's how it used to be--I'm not sure if the recent rule changes have somehow affected that.

24 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Yes, I think 2 years have to be affected by injury to get the 6th year.  You cannot take a standard redshirt any year and still get 6th year eligibility.  At least that's how it used to be--I'm not sure if the recent rule changes have somehow affected that.

He blew his knee out at SFA as well, I thought.   Maybe he didn't miss enough time there.

48 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He blew his knee out at SFA as well, I thought.   Maybe he didn't miss enough time there.

2018:
• Appeared in four games for the Mean Green 

2017:
• Sat out during his first season in Denton

Stephen F. Austin 2016: 
• Appeared in 10 games with one start for the Lumberjacks

2015: 
• Competed in 10 games with two starts as a true freshman at SFA 

The reality is, this kid has kept his options open this entire time. He stated it in his commitment notice that his recruiting was still open. I don't blame him for his decision and wish him the best, but this is the least surprising decommit of the litrell era. Every other kid in the class was signing an LOI this week. North Texas is actually in a position this year they don't have to beg for the kid to come and can (did) fill his spot with someone else. You can't blame either side on how this went. The kid is hoping one of the big schools doesn't land their fish and he gets to fill that spot. He already has two P5 offers he might be able to take in Virginia and Syracuse, if he thinks he's better off waiting to see how the chips fall for himself. That's his gamble to make. I just hope it was his decision and not a family members. Good luck and GMG.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Babers leaving Syracuse is about as sure as Littrell leaving NT.    When he does, I'd expect Johnson to transfer, unless he likes losing & being very very cold.

Kason Martin's Dad is a coach up there and I think that was the connection for Johnson to Syracuse.  If Babers leaves and Coach Martin follows, then maybe.  Either way, he's not with us, we don't play them, so best of luck

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Kason Martin's Dad is a coach up there and I think that was the connection for Johnson to Syracuse.  If Babers leaves and Coach Martin follows, then maybe.  Either way, he's not with us, we don't play them, so best of luck

Yeah, I recall him going up there.    If he leaves with Babers, then good for him.   

If he doesn't go with Babers, I doubt the new person hangs onto him.  Either way, it doesn't look like Martin will be in Syracuse very long.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We have no room for him anymore, right?    I didn't think we had room for Keith Jackson, but he's on board now as well.   Can we add Johnson?   Or do you think Littrell burned that bridge?

If PC is excited and shared with Kason, we're planning on it.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

We have no room for him anymore, right?    I didn't think we had room for Keith Jackson, but he's on board now as well.   Can we add Johnson?   Or do you think Littrell burned that bridge?

We definitely have room at RB. We have 3 scholarship senior RBs and 1 redshirt junior. Looking forward to 2022, if everyone on the roster and committed stays, we only have 4 RBs who would be on scholarship that year (Adaway, Ragsdale, Johnson, and Jackson).

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1