‘19 RB Garrison Johnson (Manvel)

BTG_Fan1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Should we really be issuing that kind of ultimatum to our best recruit though?
"Sign tomorrow, or else..."

I didn't say it was an ultimatum and dont think it was. Just "we want you to sign tomorrow so we can wrap up this class and move on to 2020". UNT know what everybody else knows. That when A and M and the Missouri of the worlds top targets choose Texas Georgia and Bama they swoop in on the Garrison Johnson of the world. If you don't sign him tomorrow you don't sign him

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I doubt that’s what was said.

I doubt it as well, but that's the kind of ultimatum JayD was suggesting.    Pressuring to sign tomorrow, but he wants to wait until February.   If that were the case, and that kind of ultimatum was not issued, he'd still be committed... just signing in Feb.

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I didn't say it was an ultimatum and do think it was. Just we want you to sign tomorrow so we can wrap up this class and move on to 2020. UNT know what everybody else knows. That when A and M and the Missouri of the worlds top targets choose Texas Georgia and Bama they swoop in on the Garrison Johnson of the world. If you don't sign him tomorrow you don't sign him

Right.   And when he says "no coach, I'll wait and sign in February."    Then what would be said in order for him to actually decommit?
Some kind of ultimatum.    And it doesn't have to be point-blank like "sign, or else...", it may even be a genuine one trying to help HIM out...   "look, we want to wrap up this class, if you don't want to sign tomorrow and you're still looking for other opportunities, then it's best we part ways, and you actually officially open up your recruitment."   Something along those lines.   Still an ultimatum to sign tomorrow or part ways.

That, or he already has schools coming at him on the dl.

• Upvote 2

Very sad to see this. Not surprised at all. The same recruits who saw us on the come up and making some noise are the same recruits who saw Littrell have one foot out the door and the team get molly whomped on national TV. 

It sucks, but this what happens when you straddle the fence. I put this 100% on Littrell and I'm sure he will learn from it. 

We'll see... I still think he signs in the end, especially if we keep the remainder of the class. A lot of these guys have already developed friendships. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, agw0038 said:

Very sad to see this. Not surprised at all. The same recruits who saw us on the come up and making some noise are the same recruits who saw Littrell have one foot out the door and the team get molly whomped on national TV. 

It sucks, but this what happens when you straddle the fence. I put this 100% on Littrell and I'm sure he will learn from it. 

We'll see... I still think he signs in the end, especially if we keep the remainder of the class. A lot of these guys have already developed friendships. 

If Littrell testing the waters was enough for him to decommit, he wouldn't have wasted an official visit here the next weekend.  And his twitter feed would not look anything like it did just a few days ago.   This is not on Littrell in the sense that he was shopping.  This is a business decision by both Littrell & Johnson.

And I highly doubt he'll sign with us anymore, because we wont have room for him after we pickup another commit elsewhere from a guy who wants to be here.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Also Easly is a junior?

Smith and Torrey are sohpomores?

We still have good depth at RB.

If he shot up to our #1 rated recruit...I'm guessing a P5 did go sniffing around.

Hate to lose him though but RB is not an issue for us the next few years....

Are we watching the same team? We desperately need a running back. Just like we desperately need an o-line

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Update: confirmed he wanted to wait.

He's talented enough that offers will come in.   

Sucks for us, and he's the kind of guy that could change the game for us.  I would have had no issues waiting for him if I'm Littrell.    And if he happened to get poached before February's signing day, Littrell would find some other gem that fell through the cracks like he has the past few years (I'd take another Darden!).

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He's talented enough that offers will come in.   

Sucks for us, and he's the kind of guy that could change the game for us.  I would have had no issues waiting for him if I'm Littrell.    And if he happened to get poached before February's signing day, Littrell would find some other gem that fell through the cracks like he has the past few years (I'd take another Darden!).

You have some very good points there in the last three posts.

52 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Are we watching the same team? We desperately need a running back. Just like we desperately need an o-line

I guess we aren't....

I'll agree with the O Line but once Easly went out....I don't think people realize what Torrey did.

UTEP  70 yards on 19 carries

USM    95 yards on 17 carries 3 TDs

UAB   35 yards on 13 carries

Then the last 3rd of the season he was phenominal averaging over 7.5 yards per carry and scoring 7 TDs

Rice    130 yards on 15 CARRIES 3 TDs

ODU    145 yards on 25 carries 2 TDs

FAU     184 yards on 17 CARRIES 1 TD

UTSA   155 yards on 24 carries 1 TD

We don't desperately need a running back...we need to give the one we have the ball more...

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I guess we are....

I'll agree with the O Line but once Easly went out....I don't think people realize what Torrey did.

UTEP  70 yards on 19 carries

USM    95 yards on 17 carries 3 TDs

UAB   35 yards on 13 carries

Then the last 3rd of the season he was phenominal averaging over 7.5 yards per carry and scoring 7 TDs

Rice    130 yards on 15 CARRIES 3 TDs

ODU    145 yards on 25 carries 2 TDs

FAU     184 yards on 17 CARRIES 1 TD

UTSA   155 yards on 24 carries 1 TD

We don't desperately need a running back...we need to give the one we have the ball more...

I can't say for certain but it seems we struggled in short yardage runs.  Torrey didn't break many tackles on the line of scrimmage.  Better blocking would certainly help but a running back with more size would also help. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I can't say for certain but it seems we struggled in short yardage runs.  Torrey didn't break many tackles on the line of scrimmage.  Better blocking would certainly help but a running back with more size would also help. 

We did struggle. But I don't put it all on the RB.

Just a little creativity in the play calling would've helped...

And Torrey may not run over people but he made adjustments when there was no were to run. Look at his TD in the Bowl game. That was all him...

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If Littrell testing the waters was enough for him to decommit, he wouldn't have wasted an official visit here the next weekend.  And his twitter feed would not look anything like it did just a few days ago.   This is not on Littrell in the sense that he was shopping.  This is a business decision by both Littrell & Johnson.

And I highly doubt he'll sign with us anymore, because we wont have room for him after we pickup another commit elsewhere from a guy who wants to be here.

All good points. I just think the uncertainty of Littrell combined with a really bad loss has provided even more fuel to the negative recruiting against UNT and in doing so probably created just enough doubt in his mind to make him reconsider.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, agw0038 said:

All good points. I just think the uncertainty of Littrell combined with a really bad loss has provided even more fuel to the negative recruiting against UNT and in doing so probably created just enough doubt in his mind to make him reconsider.

If he's competitive, he looked at that bowl loss and said "I'm starting day 1 and never looking back." If 1 bad loss contributes to anybody changing their mind on where they want to play football, they're not the kind of player we should want. I highly doubt that's the case here. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

exactly

There is nothing that statistically suggests Torrey was any worse off.  This sentiment that he is not as good seems to be nothing more than what people want to see.  I don't think I can change people's minds, but I can copy/paste what I outlined in another thread.  You be the judge.

On 11/26/2018 at 11:14 AM, greenminer said:

First 10 games, every offensive snap that needed 3 yards or less to convert and/or score.  Punts and FGs are not logged.  Easly played through the LT game (but not the IW game)

DOWN-DISTANCE // PLAYER INITIALS // YARDS GAINED (Pass indicated by P-YARDS GAINED)

SMU
3-2 LE 1
4-1 LE 1
2-2 DT -2
2-3 LE 5
2-2 MF 1
3-1 MF P-8
2-3 LE -1
2-2 NS 2
2-3 NS 1
3-2 NS 1
4-1 NS 0

IW
3-1 DT 2
3-3 MF P-10
1-2 DT 1
2-1 DT 0
3-1 DT 1 (TD)
4-1 DT 2
3-1 DT 1 (TD)
1-1 MF PI
2-1 DT 1 (TD)
2-2 DT 1
3-1 FALSE START
1-3 MF P3 (TD)
2-1 EJ 3
2-2 CP P6

AR
1-2 MF 2 (TD)
2-1 MF P-(-3)
1-3 LE 3 (TD)
2-3 MF PI
3-3 MF PI
3-3 MF PI

LIB
4-1 LE 5
2-1 LE 4
4-2 MF PI
3-2 LE 3
3-3 MF P-7
1-2 LE -2
2-2 LE 9
2-3 LE 3
2-1 DT 24
1-2 LE (-1)
2-1 DT 1 (TD)
2-3 QS 9
2-2 AW 5

LT
2-2 LE 4
3-1 LE 3
4-3 MF P-7 (TD)
3-2 LE 0
2-2 LE 14
3-3 NS 30
2-2 MF PI
3-2 NS 0

UTEP
2-3 MF -4
3-1 NS 1
2-3 DT 3
4-1 MF PI
3-2 DT 4
3-3 MF P-0
4-3 MF PI
3-2 DT 0
4-2 MF P-11
2-3 NS 1
3-2 DT 1

USM
2-1 MF P-5
2-2 DT 5
3-3 MF PI
3-3 DT 8
3-1 DT 34

UAB
3-3  DT 1
4-2 DT 0
3-1 DT 0
4-1 MF PI

RICE
2-2 PENALTY

ODU
2-1 MF PI
3-1 DT 0
4-1 DT 5
2-3 DT 5
2-3 MF PI
3-3 MF P-23 (TD)
3-1 DT 37 (TD)
2-1 DT 0
3-1 DT 8
2-2 MF P-5
2-1 MF P-8
3-2 MF PI
4-2 ODU PENALTY
2-2 DT 4
2-1 DT 3
2-3 MF P-(-1)
4-1 DT 0

On 11/29/2018 at 12:26 AM, greenminer said:

From SMU through the end of the LaTech game, Easly was handed the ball 12 times on short yardage situations (2 yards or less). He converted 8 of them

Torry, in the same stretch, was give 11 tries. He converted 7 of them.

On 11/29/2018 at 10:42 AM, greenminer said:

I'll take it a step further:

In situations of ONE yard or less to go, up through the LT game:
Easly converted 4 of 4 opportunities
Torry converted 7 of 8.

IMO Torry no doubt benefited from Easly's absence in the Incarnate Word game.  Point being, however, there is nothing that suggests Torry can't carry the load as well as Easly.

I'm not sure how this idea came about, that Torry isn't as big/bruising as Easly.  Maybe it's because he's approximately 10 lbs lighter.  Maybe someone just looks at the tape and it's their own personal observation regardless of the stats.   Not sure

I think Torry is doing a fine job.

I wonder if people are quick to look at our RBs as a path to understand/justify why we struggled so much when he went down.  The loss of Easly coincided with the exact same time we started struggling.  Struggled sometimes using the run, and just overall struggled to maintain leads/wins.

The reality is, the more you look at how both RBs faired, I think it becomes clear that the loss of Easly played a minimal part in this.  Torrey is doing very similarly - not worse- than Easly at short-yardage situations.  This seems more about coaches' game planning and player execution at the OL level.

44 minutes ago, greenminer said:

There is nothing that statistically suggests Torrey was any worse off.  This sentiment that he is not as good seems to be nothing more than what people want to see.  I don't think I can change people's minds, but I can copy/paste what I outlined in another thread.  You be the judge.

Impressive work charting all of those rushes.   

We need to watch the tape to really answer the question.  I've seen Easly power through and carry defenders for extra yardage.  I've seen Torrey go down with one defender getting a hand on him.  That said, you have to say that Torrey definitely faced the better defenses.   

2 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Impressive work charting all of those rushes.   

We need to watch the tape to really answer the question.  I've seen Easly power through and carry defenders for extra yardage.  I've seen Torrey go down with one defender getting a hand on him.  That said, you have to say that Torrey definitely faced the better defenses.   

And also, a lot of Torrey's run plays were off-tackle, sweep, stretch plays to space.  Or, he would get a draw play on a pass down & gash the middle of the defense.
Easly was able to run between the tackles more effectively IMO.
I just wonder if we'll see the same Easly return.   He's been banged up pretty bad.   This was not his first catastrophic knee injury.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And also, a lot of Torrey's run plays were off-tackle, sweep, stretch plays to space.  Or, he would get a draw play on a pass down & gash the middle of the defense.
Easly was able to run between the tackles more effectively IMO.
I just wonder if we'll see the same Easly return.   He's been banged up pretty bad.   This was not his first catastrophic knee injury.

I have great respect for Easly and Torrey. Playing football, it is nearly inevitable that "the man" is going to go down. That is why I believe that if Johnson (or another back with his skills) does not sign in this class, we're in deep doo doo. Just like the saying often applied to handguns that you depend on to keep you safe, "if you've only got one...you've got none".

If Garrison Johnson wasn’t going to sign with us tomorrow then he wasn’t going to sign with us in February. 

I know Coach Choice really wanted him and put a lot of work into building a great relationship with Johnson and his mother. 

The early signing day was time for Johnson to $&@* or get off the pot with us. I’m glad our coaches pressured him to sign early. That is the only leverage we had with him. 

Johnson has other options, but so will we. Better to know that he isn’t IN now so we can find someone else than getting ghosted in February when the alternatives have signed elsewhere.

We need to move on. 

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 1
  • Ray 1