‘19 RB Garrison Johnson (Manvel)

BTG_Fan1

On 12/29/2017 at 3:54 PM, Venson said:

Not the fastest kid, but he is big and strong. They should offer, but they may be waiting based on the fact that he is a Junior right now. He blocks, runs, and catches. Definitely the bigger back that I would like to see.

Just noticed his 40 time is equal to Jeffery Wilson's and he is heavier.  Would love to see him commit.

27 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yeah, just read that. IOW, he's penciling himself onto a roster for security purposes with the eraser handy if what he views a sexier offer falls in his lap. 

I like this young man a lot and believe he will stick.  Love his character.

• Upvote 1

I think he is only dating us to make the other boys jealous...😍

But seriously this will be a good test of this coaching staff to see if they can hold on to a real plife prospect for the recruiting cycle. 

• Upvote 2

Obviously, it appears there's a lot of work ahead of the staff to hold on but there was really no reason to make this announcement if it wasn't a strong lean.  A well-deserved reward for the staff at this point in the 2019 recruiting process. 

However this plays out, having him on board now should be helpful to the recruiting efforts on the whole.  High level players will give greater consideration to playing at North Texas when they see other high level players are heading to Denton.

• Upvote 2

So, is it really a commitment when you say things like, “I am verbally committed, but I am still open in case God offers me another situation that I feel better about”?

I think not. The kid wants UNT to be a “place holder” for him and he has said as much. I hope he does eventually sign with the Mean Green, but in no way is he currently “committed” to the Mean Green.  In fact, I would say that, as of now, he’s playing UNT. I hope the coaching staff proceeds exactly as young Mr Johnson has and continues to recruit running backs. 

• Upvote 4

“I am verbally committed, but I am still open in case God offers me another situation that I feel better about”?  Sounds like a girl I dated years ago.  She got a better offer I guess and married someone else.......... I love that we are bring considered by this very talented young man but he is far from on the field for the awesome mean green,

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

So, is it really a commitment when you say things like, “I am verbally committed, but I am still open in case God offers me another situation that I feel better about”?

I think not. The kid wants UNT to be a “place holder” for him and he has said as much. I hope he does eventually sign with the Mean Green, but in no way is he currently “committed” to the Mean Green.  In fact, I would say that, as of now, he’s playing UNT. I hope the coaching staff proceeds exactly as young Mr Johnson has and continues to recruit running backs. 

I believe they will.  He has hinted through Twitter that he was leaning towards us all along.  I think the recent offers to the young men out of Judson and the North Little Rock prove we will continue to recruit RBs.  I hope he sticks and think he is a good character young man, but that comment above did strike me as wrong.

On 5/2/2018 at 12:07 PM, greenjoe said:

This is a definite "non-commitment."  If NT finds another player we like better, can we withdraw our offer ? 

Yes. And our coaches have shown the willingness to do so in their tenure here.

On 5/2/2018 at 12:07 PM, greenjoe said:

This is the problem when dealing with children.  They're children and not able to grasp adult situations. 

Or, it's 2018 and coaches push for commitments earlier than they ever have. Plus there is an early-signing period now when many spots are filled up, and players are pressured to commit a year or more in advance of their high-school graduation, pushing players to commit and have a spot in a class before they may truly be ready. Or before things change drastically (i.e. Coaching staff changes, life situations, etc.).

• Upvote 3