Turn on Fox Sports SW

emmitt01

Reading this I don't get all the hate for the Jones kid. Not his fault he has that parentage, nor that he isn't 6 foot 4 nor that he is at an afluent place. Being given things is nice, but actually converting those opportunities is something most people are actually not capable of doing. He just won a second state title in a row. Not sure what else he could to do to make people stop hating.

On the other end it was a tough end for Martin. Essentially he put the team up by 10 with ten minutes to go, and the next time he got the ball he found himself down 3 with 30 seconds left. And then Manvel still almost pulled it out.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Reading this I don't get all the hate for the Jones kid. Not his fault he has that parentage, nor that he isn't 6 foot 4 nor that he is at an afluent place. Being given things is nice, but actually converting those opportunities is something most people are actually not capable of doing. He just won a second state title in a row. Not sure what else he could to do to make people stop hating.

On the other end it was a tough end for Martin. Essentially he put the team up by 10 with ten minutes to go, and the next time he got the ball he found himself down 3 with 30 seconds left. And then Manvel still almost pulled it out.

I looked him( Jones) up and saw that he was going to play football for Arkansas. It also said that he was a possibility of several B-12 schools. Is that true? Is he really that good?

• Downvote 1

Hate on John Stephen Jones all you want. The kid just set the all-time 5A state title game passing record and notched his second straight state title.

Look at his stats, look at his wins. He is now one of the all-time greatest high school QBs ever. He is a more polished version of Baker Mayfield/Johnny Football (a friend who works for the HP school district said he is A super nice kid too).

And btw, Jerry drives me nuts. I wanted to hate on JSJ, but I have eyes and I see greatness.

Kason Martin is BIG, can throw the ball a mile, is a great leader and demonstrated impressive maturity in his behavior after that loss.

Martin's throws are also wild as hell and many of his yards are the result of throwing to superhumans with video game speed. But the raw tools are there for him to be special. Excited to watch him develop.

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

I looked him( Jones) up and saw that he was going to play football for Arkansas. It also said that he was a possibility of several B-12 schools. Is that true? Is he really that good?

I don't know if he is "that good". Also not sure if those are schollie or walk-on offers (not that he actually needs the schollie). Maybe the parentage helps a little there with the offers. But in any case he has done everything in his power to get people to be willing to take a chance.

On the other hand, he is like a much better looking Mason Fine (when Fine was coming out of HS) in the sense that he looks similar and also has great numbers, but has not done it against tiny Oklahoma high schools but against bona fide Texas 5A schools, schools with lots of talent such as Manvel. Probably also helps that its good timing: Baker Mayfield just forcefully reminded everyone that at a P5 level QB-size can be overcome to some degree.

Edited by outoftown

Jones balled out.  Props to him on hanging in there.  Not sure why Manvel went zone though.  Yeah 88 was nice and he had a few catches...still no reason to stop the pressure and go zone.  88 looks like a player, but considering Manvel has a corner going to Penn state and a safety going to A&M, 88 should have been locked up.  He was tall, but not big like gronk. 

These kids are getting rated high and all these stars because of these youtube videos and camps.  all this footwork and dancing, but can they play football?  I'm sorry,  in my opinion, a secondary with 3 or 4 D1 players and 2 of them being "studs" shouldn't get lit up like that.    

28 the linebacker is going to Navy...He was nice.  looks like he can play some football.

Onside kick.  Really Manvel?  they lined up a 6'5 wr over there and yall had no one over there?

I don't think anyone can really question how good a high school player Jones is.   He does look like a carbon copy of Fine in size,  fire and success. .

However, unless he wants to join the NT QB carousel, I don't have a lot of interest. 

I do wonder how a QB with Martin's success and numbers is not rated a three star player.   Competition at NT QB backup will be very interesting next year.   You would think the freshmen would be redshirted, but with Littrell that maynot be the case.  

This is my point on stars in the recruiting process. Go over to the Twitterverse and lookup a guy called “Footwork King”. This guy (so many like him) make great athletes think he can get them offers and “get them right”. And recruiting services feed into this.  Parents feed into it. And honestly that shit has zero to do if you can play football. HP has FOOTBALL players. Those kids are from the best and the brightest, great nutrition and best supplementation money can buy.  Not knowing HP, they are good. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

Jones balled out.  Props to him on hanging in there.  Not sure why Manvel went zone though.  Yeah 88 was nice and he had a few catches...still no reason to stop the pressure and go zone.  88 looks like a player, but considering Manvel has a corner going to Penn state and a safety going to A&M, 88 should have been locked up.  He was tall, but not big like gronk. 

These kids are getting rated high and all these stars because of these youtube videos and camps.  all this footwork and dancing, but can they play football?  I'm sorry,  in my opinion, a secondary with 3 or 4 D1 players and 2 of them being "studs" shouldn't get lit up like that.    

28 the linebacker is going to Navy...He was nice.  looks like he can play some football.

Onside kick.  Really Manvel?  they lined up a 6'5 wr over there and yall had no one over there?

100% agree on all of this.

On 12/22/2017 at 11:11 PM, emmitt01 said:

So I’m a hater because the announcers are going WAAAAY overboard with the hyperbole?  

That’s not a knock on the kid.  I’m just not gonna say they should rename the Staples Center because a high school kid scores 50 points there.

Yes, you are a hater and just flat out wrong. Kid broke almost every state final passing record and played his guts out. Get over your Jerrah and Cowboys hatred and say well done young man. 

Edited by shootermcgavin44
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

Yes, you are a hater and just flat out wrong. Kid broke almost every state final passing record and played his guts out. Get over your Jerrah and Cowboys hatred and say well done young man. 

I actually think both of y’all are right.

Emmitt was annoyed by the hyperbole, which I relate to.  I remember the national media craze over Tebow. Incredible, all-time college great but the amount of attention was ridiculous.

this HS QB Might be great, but it’s possible for the color guys to go overboard.  Just MO.

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2017 at 3:15 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Yes, Jones is that good.  Great decision maker, fast, accurate arm.  He's got it all but height but makes up for height with what's between his ears..  

Rick

I only asked the question because I've never seen any Highland Park games on replay. AND the only highlights I've seen of him on sports programs make him look more like a *bus driver, (completing short wobbly passes and making unspectacular short runs), than a star QB.

* Since it's Highland Park, maybe i should have said Limo Driver.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

I only asked the question because I've never seen any Highland Park games on replay. AND the only highlights I've seen of him on sports programs make him look more like a *bus driver, (completing short wobbly passes and making unspectacular short runs), than a star QB.

* Since it's Highland Park, maybe i should have said Limo Driver.

He's played live on TV countless of times.  MUCH better entertainment than watching Dez Bryant gift wrap presents for the other team for three hours, that's for sure.

Rick

• Upvote 2

It was a fun game to watch with two great QBs. Jones now holds a bunch of state title game records - yes, he really is a great high school player. But hating him because the announce wants to suck up to his grandfather makes no sense. Hate the color guy, not the kid. 

NT has got a really good player as well. Only one of them was going to win and frankly I thINK the Manvel coaches blew it with their onside coverage. That's not a reason to blame either QB. 

7 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

It was a fun game to watch with two great QBs. Jones now holds a bunch of state title game records - yes, he really is a great high school player. But hating him because the announce wants to suck up to his grandfather makes no sense. Hate the color guy, not the kid. 

NT has got a really good player as well. Only one of them was going to win and frankly I thINK the Manvel coaches blew it with their onside coverage. That's not a reason to blame either QB. 

Craig Way was on the call for this game. He has no allegiance or anything to gain from sucking up to the Cowboys. Pretty sure Brad Sham isn't going anywhere ever.