Early signing period expected signees

BTG_Fan1

Here is a list, and please add to it if i have overlooked anyone...

HS OG Cole Brown from Conroe

https://twitter.com/TaterConroe/status/943254482485497856

JUCO DE/LB Darrian McMillian 

HS WR Austin Ogunmakin

https://twitter.com/AliefHastingsFB/status/943241173820477442

HS ATH Jaxson Gibbs

https://twitter.com/GibbsJaxon/status/943155925124296709

Can't find tweets about, but believe these are also signing tomorrow as well. 

Kason Martin,

Reggie Williams, 

Deandrea Torrey,

Kevyon Davis

Edited by BTG_Fan1

29 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Here is a list, and please add to it if i have overlooked anyone...

HS OG Cole Brown from Conroe

https://twitter.com/TaterConroe/status/943254482485497856

JUCO DE/LB Darrian McMillian 

HS WR Austin Ogunmakin

https://twitter.com/AliefHastingsFB/status/943241173820477442

HS ATH Jaxson Gibbs

https://twitter.com/GibbsJaxon/status/943155925124296709

Can't find tweets about, but believe these are also signing tomorrow as well. 

Kason Martin,

Reggie Williams, 

Deandrea Torrey,

Kevyon Davis

jordan hunt 

josh saafi

Seems like coaches should make everyone sign today to guarantee their scholarship. Only reason a kid would wait is because they are holding out for some other offer.

I agree with the idea of saving some ships for the traditional signing day for elite kids who fall through the cracks, but if you are committed to UNT you need to sign today or your scholarship may be given to someone else.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Seems like coaches should make everyone sign today to guarantee their scholarship. Only reason a kid would wait is because they are holding out for some other offer.

I agree with the idea of saving some ships for the traditional signing day for elite kids who fall through the cracks, but if you are committed to UNT you need to sign today or your scholarship may be given to someone else.

It's a chess game dude.
The guys who are waiting for better offers than a 9-win C-USA divisional champ are the ones who think P5 offers could possibly be coming.   These are the kinds of guys we want to sign.    Do we really want to chase that kind of player off?  That kind of guy likely has an Illinois/LATech-type offer & would say, "OK UNT, see ya!"    If we don't get a guy to sign today that we're high on, we need to keep recruiting that guy until Feb's signing day.

Now, if a dude has an offer from us & Lamar & chooses not to sign... maybe give this a go, because we're likely the best offer this guy will get & we can pull his card.

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's a chess game dude.
The guys who are waiting for better offers than a 9-win C-USA divisional champ are the ones who think P5 offers could possibly be coming.   These are the kinds of guys we want to sign.    Do we really want to chase that kind of player off?  That kind of guy likely has an Illinois/LATech-type offer & would say, "OK UNT, see ya!"    If we don't get a guy to sign today that we're high on, we need to keep recruiting that guy until Feb's signing day.

Now, if a dude has an offer from us & Lamar & chooses not to sign... maybe give this a go, because we're likely the best offer this guy will get & we can pull his card.

Can't hold a ship open hoping to get a guy unless you have a for sure backup player to sign. There is really no justification for the kid not to sign now!

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

Can't hold a ship open hoping to get a guy unless you have a for sure backup player to sign. There is really no justification for the kid not to sign now!

Oh, but we can... 
If you don't remember, we had guys like Darden, Siggers & White (arguably our 3 highest-rated recruits) were picked up only a couple of weeks prior to the Feb signing day.
These players aren't dumb.   When they wait, looking for a "bigger" offer, they're likely also watching the NTGridiron twitter account & the tweets going back & forth between other dudes that play their same position.   The pressure to sign is there.   I can assure you the UNT staff will not just sit on their hands waiting for <XYZ player> to sign.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, but we can... 
If you don't remember, we had guys like Darden, Siggers & White (arguably our 3 highest-rated recruits) were picked up only a couple of weeks prior to the Feb signing day.
These players aren't dumb.   When they wait, looking for a "bigger" offer, they're likely also watching the NTGridiron twitter account & the tweets going back & forth between other dudes that play their same position.   The pressure to sign is there.   I can assure you the UNT staff will not just sit on their hands waiting for <XYZ player> to sign.

I am referring to holding a ship for a player that did not sign on the 20th. I think we move on. The 20th is really going to become Nat’l Signing day for the majority of the class. Blue shirts would be for the later date??

4 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I am referring to holding a ship for a player that did not sign on the 20th. I think we move on. The 20th is really going to become Nat’l Signing day for the majority of the class. Blue shirts would be for the later date??

I’m fairly certain but blue-shutting/grey1shirting is no longer allowed, I thought 

7 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Blue shirting is where the player does not sign at all and then shows up to Fall camp and receives a scholarship after Fall camp has started.  The scholarship they receive will count toward the following recruiting class.

29 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I'm referring to today as well.   
A committed guy doesn't sign today?   Keep recruiting him if we want him to sign in Feb.  Don't kick him to the curb.  Why offer a guy in the first place if we don't want him?

• Lovely Take 2

I'm referring to today as well.   
A committed guy doesn't sign today?   Keep recruiting him if we want him to sign in Feb.  Don't kick him to the curb.  Why offer a guy in the first place if we don't want him?

The advantage for us is we get to see who is really committed to UNT. I think of the kid last year that verbal us then switch to Houston at the last minute! We should be able to stop this from happening under this structure!!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

The advantage for us is we get to see who is really committed to UNT. I think of the kid last year that verbal us then switch to Houston at the last minute! We should be able to stop this from happening under this structure!!

This is the game though.    It works both ways!   Remember, that's how we got Rod Young & LaDarius Hamilton a few years ago...  Got them to flip at the last minute.

• Lovely Take 1

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is the game though.    It works both ways!   Remember, that's how we got Rod Young & LaDarius Hamilton a few years ago...  Got them to flip at the last minute.

Hamilton offers dried up and we were the last one standing or the sexiest of the very select few remaining

29 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Hamilton offers dried up and we were the last one standing or the sexiest of the very select few remaining

I don't know who you're thinking of (maybe Darden?), but that was not Hambone's situation.
Hamilton was committed to TX St for a long time.   We flipped him late.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't know who you're thinking of (maybe Darden?), but that was not Hambone's situation.

Still don't know how he was committed to Texas state. He's been really solid from the get go. Excited to see him for two more years. 

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Darden they dried up, and Hamilton may have been committed but it’s been said on here his other offers had dried up.. 

Hamilton was even doing twitter polls on where he should commit/sign with 

We didn't flip him. We offered after he decommitted.

https://247sports.com/Player/LaDarius-Hamilton-69938/TimelineEvents

I thought I remembered JayD reporting that Texas State was no longer recruiting him as we waited for his decision, too.

22 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We didn't flip him. We offered after he decommitted.

https://247sports.com/Player/LaDarius-Hamilton-69938/TimelineEvents

I thought I remembered JayD reporting that Texas State was no longer recruiting him as we waited for his decision, too.

We sure the coaches weren't talking to him before he decommitted from TXSt?   The NT offer came just 5 days later.  Wouldn't that be a textbook "flip"?   TXSt likely saw the writing on the wall & chose not to pursue.

• Lovely Take 1