SL Hypothetical

greenminer

Purely hypothetical:

Let's establish a few things before I pose my question:

1) SL and Co win a minimum of 9 games every year they are here
3) They are here until they get fired.  They don't get hired away.
3) They never win a CUSA title.  Not a single one.  Maybe the West, but never an outright championship.

How long would you keep him?  I'm trying to gauge where some of y'all are between A) Raising expectations, and B) being content with where we are.

Just for fun, this is hypothetical 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

After what we got last 2 years (4-win improvements), I’d say 8 or 9 wins is the floor, & I would love to see another 4 win improvement next year, which would be a 1-loss season.  Preferably with that loss coming in a NY6 bowl game like WMU last year.

Id give him 4 more years of 9 wins without a CUSA championship before I look elsewhere for someone who sees this job as a stepping stone to the big time.

...hypothetically speaking.

• Upvote 2

We will turn this corner and begin winning bowl games and another goal is beating a p5.  Then there is nearing a power p5.  So many goals and we will be lucky if we keep him a couple of more years. 

Yes he and the team raised the bar.  Why not be cusa excellence, someone will be.  

GMG 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Some won't like this but here's my answer based on realism and facts. First let's start with our history. Here is our history since 1953.

Seasons: 53 (1953 to 2017)

Record (W-L-T): 249-326-11

Adjusted Record (W-L-T): 252-323-11

Conferences: CUSA, Sun Belt, Big West, MVC, Ind

Conf. Championships: 9

Bowl Record: 7 Bowls, 2-5, .286 W-L% (Major Bowls)

Ranked in AP Poll: 0 Times (Preseason), 0 Times (Final), 2 Weeks (Total)

I do believe for first the time our coaches are being given resources comparable with the competition. But on some level, you are who your history says you are.  Our history is six 9 win seasons since 1953 (counting this year). That is a 9 win season every 10.6 years. So to expect 9 win seasons every year isn't realistic IMO. With the schedules being created currently, I'd expect us to be 2-2 in non-conference games most years. Assuming we can go 5-3 in conference games, I expect an average record of 7-5. And before anyone blasts 5-3 in conference, please note there are several conference schools with drastically better history than UNT. And again, I'm of the belief that 50-100 years of data is a pretty damn good data point. So at 7-5, I'm accounting for improved resources as we have averaged less than 5 wins per season over the past 53 seasons. Of course, averages are averages for a reason. So my expectation is for us to be between 5-9 wins. 5 wins in rebuilding years (thinking QB after Mason kinda year). We only have 10 wins twice in 100 years, so expecting that isn't realistic. Well anything is realistic for us fans, but it's doubtful the administration and board 'expect' that and we have no historical data to back up that expectation. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Another 8-9 win season here and SL is gone. He will have shown the ability to rebuild from the ashes at a place everyone in college football believes to be almost unwinnable. Eventually, the cash and prestige of being a P5 coach will win out. The Tech job and the KU job are very strong possibilities in the upcoming seasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Another 8-9 win season here and SL is gone. He will have shown the ability to rebuild from the ashes at a place everyone in college football believes to be almost unwinnable. Eventually, the cash and prestige of being a P5 coach will win out. The Tech job and the KU job are very strong possibilities in the upcoming seasons.

I cannot see KU as more attractive than UNT....2nd fiddle to basketball every year.  Just as big a hurdle to rebuild as was UNT, only against better competition...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

KU is paying there HC 1.6M, the buyout is like to large on top of the salary 

11 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I agree. Get rid of Houston Baptist and Rhode Island and replace with KU in a home-and-home series.

That leaves us with a 5-home game season one of those 2 years.

Those FCS games are not uncommon for any school, let alone us.   They serve as a way to "work out kinks" while not jeopardizing a win.      ...and don't even mention Portland St.

• Upvote 3

On 12/19/2017 at 3:39 AM, untjim1995 said:

KSU would be the great fit!

2 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Hypothetical #2. 

Seth Littrell is locked in a room with a chimpanzee. SL has a samurai sword and is dressed in a football pads. Only one body can leave the room alive. 

A.) Who would leave the room

B.) How long would it take?

Is Seth surprised by the chimpanzee? If he's riled up knowing the chimpanzee is in there it stands no chance.

4 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Hypothetical #2. 

Seth Littrell is locked in a room with a chimpanzee. SL has a samurai sword and is dressed in a football pads. Only one body can leave the room alive. 

A.) Who would leave the room

B.) How long would it take?

After starting off slow, SL will show resiliency in all three phases of the battle, get after his ass, win the 3rd quarter, and at the end of the day (so really, time-wise, it just depends on what time this battle starts), give himself an opportunity to win.

• Thanks 1