Players opinion on D coordinator

TheReal_jayD

13 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Corners had no swag all year.  Only time. Saw a glimpse of it was Jenkins when he got his chance for Brooks.  I was pretty disappointed that Brooks wasn't given a shot Saturday. 

Corners have been mismanaged for two years.  I thought it was Ek, but after this season it's Ref.  Brown does not have much input, but i'm not sure if many corners coach does in college.  

17 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Corners have been mismanaged for two years.  I thought it was Ek, but after this season it's Ref.  Brown does not have much input, but i'm not sure if many corners coach does in college.  

?? So the only thing that stayed the same isn't responsible? That doesn't make much sense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The defense was destroyed by better teams.  NT doesn't have the horses; it is not the scheme, it is not the coaching.   NT plays a gambling defense which often exposes the defensive backfield and linebackers when as often happens NT doesn't make the plays at or behind the line of scrimmage.  NT plays this defense because they just can't stop most teams with a basic scheme.  

You could actually make a like argument that NT wouldn't have won those close games without a very aggressive defense strategy.

• Upvote 1

That bowl game showed you all you need to know. That ridiculous 2 point play shouldn’t have done anything but gone for a score the other way. And I recall multiple times Troy handed off once inside the 5 for walk-in scores. It was like there was no defense. Not even making it difficult. That starts from the top.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The defense was destroyed by better teams.  NT doesn't have the horses; it is not the scheme, it is not the coaching.   NT plays a gambling defense which often exposes the defensive backfield and linebackers when as often happens NT doesn't make the plays at or behind the line of scrimmage.  NT plays this defense because they just can't stop most teams with a basic scheme.  

You could actually make a like argument that NT wouldn't have won those close games without a very aggressive defense strategy.

I couldn't,....but I know you could.

To me Aggressive is the last word that comes to mind when I see one of the worst defense's getting trucked.  But that may just be me?

Rick

21 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

To me Aggressive is the last word that comes to mind when I see one of the worst defense's getting trucked.  But that may just be me?

Rick

Rick, 
Surely you saw the aggressiveness in this defense?   Just because the blitzes were picked up and/or players took bad angles/missed assignments doesn't mean they weren't being aggressive...  It just means they were burned a lot.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Being aggressive and being good are very far apart.   A lousy boxer can be very aggressive but usually is going to be done quickly against a better boxer.   

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Rick, 
Surely you saw the aggressiveness in this defense?   Just because the blitzes were picked up and/or players took bad angles/missed assignments doesn't mean they weren't being aggressive...  It just means they were burned a lot.

Yes, I saw some blitzes but what good are they if the secondary is playing 9 yards deep, giving the QB plenty of options?

Something just didn't seem right to me.  Troy was held to 32 points or less by such vaunted defensive powers like S. Alabama(8), Akron(22),  New Mexico St(27), Idaho(24) and Ark State(32).  

Surely.....SURELY we have comparable talent as these schools...right? 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

yeah... i don't know, using the Troy game as a benchmark is probably not a great starting point, this defense was not good this year, but this game featured 5 turnovers by our offense, three of which were inside our own 30 yard line all leading to Touchdowns.

It's very unusual that a defense gives up 50 points and forces 6 punts and 2 turnovers in a single game. 

4 hours ago, golfingomez said:

yeah... i don't know, using the Troy game as a benchmark is probably not a great starting point, this defense was not good this year, but this game featured 5 turnovers by our offense, three of which were inside our own 30 yard line all leading to Touchdowns.

It's very unusual that a defense gives up 50 points and forces 6 punts and 2 turnovers in a single game. 

This is true.  However when Troy did have the ball they were making nearly10 yards per pass play and averaged  6.3 yards per play overall.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Simply put I don’t care what the scheme if you don’t have physicality to stop teams from running down your throat no scheme is going to help you.  Now blitzing from a 3-3-5  and messing up blocking angles can marginally help.   But if you can’t cover one-on-one the offense will run just enough to make you blitz and torch you.  Does this sound familiar?  It a description of almost every defensive performance when our defense did not have a distinct physical advantage.  And even when they did against Army they still got out schemed.  The Army game sealed it for me.  So the defensive scheme and players were  lacking every time the physical talent was close.  You can’t replace all the players in one season so logically you would change a coach.  Nothing I read in Reffet’s background gives me confidence that he can make the defense dramatically  better without an unprecedented influx of new talent.  Any committed smart professional coach could produce the same mediocre results we saw this year.  It is about what the program can afford. Can we afford another bad defensive year more than we can afford to buyout the contracts of the defensive staff?  This team will revert to 6-6 if the CUSA competition remains consistent and our defense doesn’t improve (maybe worse).  

Edited by Mike Jackson

30 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Another propaganda thread from a board full of them.

Sad, thinking back on what this place used to be.

So... Rah rah rah, sis boom bah away.

Adios, Mofos.

Lol wut? Half the people on this thread are talking about the problem being Reffett. 

I guess if we don't take people to a literal firing squad it's not good enough? You can't just call for his firing, but for the death and destruction of his entire lineage so that he's left with NOTHING. Otherwise you're just a blind cheerleader. Did I catch that correctly?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Another propaganda thread from a board full of them.

Sad, thinking back on what this place used to be.

So... Rah rah rah, sis boom bah away.

Adios, Mofos.

C'mon, man. You're looking pretty silly here, the thread is full of complaints.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1