Player Safety

greenb.o.g.

2 hours ago, DT 90 said:

No you wouldn't. If you were the father of a starting D1 QB you would be pissed because they pulled him.  Your only chance of winning, however slim, is to have your best players on the field.

Wow, is this like that scene from Star Wars when Obi-won tells the stormtroopers (paraphrasing), the droids you're looking for are not here?!

It's amazing that you know exactly how I would react in a given situation!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, greenb.o.g. said:

Wow, is this like that scene from Star Wars when Obi-won tells the stormtroopers (paraphrasing), the droids you're looking for are not here?!

It's amazing that you know exactly how I would react in a given situation!

Because I know how actual players' parents reacted under similar situations.  It's totally different when it's your kid.   You never want your kid to be pulled off the field.  Even if he is hurt your mind set is that "it's not that bad" and you want them to get back in the game because the alternative is that it is "that bad".   I have been in that situation many times.

Ask the Thompsons. They will tell you the exact same thing.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

Because I know how actual players' parents reacted under similar situations.  It's totally different when it's your kid.   You never want your kid to be pulled off the field.  Even if he is hurt your mind set is that "it's not that bad" and you want them to get back in the game because the alternative is that it is "that bad".   I have been in that situation many times.

Ask the Thompsons. They will tell you the exact same thing.

Well, I think you and the Thompson's have the right to react the way you see fit. But just because the two of you have that reaction does not mean that everyone will. So, I would respectfully disagree with your assessment.

• Upvote 1

yeah, i didn't think that hit on Lawrence was particularly egregious.  I have said it for a long time, i don't understand the targeting rule, or how it is determined other than, if it looks bad, i expect to see a flag come out.

The fact that they have to review these calls is terrible. i think if you break down the 50% of plays in slow motion, you are going to find helmet to helmet contact, and this should be removed from the review process. If you can't see it at regular speed, then why would you call it on a frame by frame basis?

• Downvote 1

On 12/18/2017 at 1:28 PM, greenb.o.g. said:

Look, I'm not denying that there isn't an inherent risk when it comes to playing football. There are inherent risks in playing other sports as well. Players take on those risks just like someone driving a car. But I believe one of the goals of football leadership in this country (and this includes Division 1 football programs And head coaches of said programs) should be player safety and the minimization of those risks. 

And when I see a young kid getting beat to a pulp for no reason whatsoever, I'm going to speak up.

Oh Mason, come on over here and stand in the sideline you've been hit too much this year.  I can guarantee you if that happened Mason would 1 be removed from the team for not listening or find somewhere else to play.  Now if he got smoked and it was like the QB from Houston Texans who got put back in, I'd be with you.  But nothing was wrong.  Seth listened to guys who know way more about medical things than he probably cares to know.  They said he's good, you want Seth to argue with them? I'm confused.

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, UNTLifer said:

Kelly Stouffer, color man on the game, said it couldn't be targeting if the catch was made and the WR was now running with the ball because he was no longer defenseless per how the rule is written.  If that is true, then the rule is just stupid.

I thought this was a possibility until I was watching the Clemson/Louisville game from earlier this season on my DVR.  A Clemson player was ejected for targeting on a Louisville ball carrier.  So that commentator didn't have a clue what he was talking about, which isn't surprising.  The overturned targeting call was just a result of piss poor officiating. 

• Thanks 1