Seth Littrell on defense

Moobs

I remember that when SL got hired someone asked him about defense. His response was something like this...  I’ll hire someone whose defense scares me to go up against.  And then we hired Ek.  I miss Ek.  Like, a lot.

Certainly, our current defense doesn’t even come close to intimidating SL. It doesn’t intimidate anyone in the FBS. Ref needs to go, and soon!

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

Only thing I'll say is it's not like last years D was all that great.....

They say teams like ours with offensive philosophies like ours naturally struggle on defense. 

Well Troy called BS on that....

We need new blood in here. A totally different philosophy. That Troy staff should absolutely be a target of ours....

• Upvote 3

On December 16, 2017 at 8:49 PM, 817Fan said:

I think it’s more of a talent issue then a coordinator issue. We just don’t have the athletes to put pressure in the backfield without blitzing. 

This.

I would agree. I think the defensive Ref runs just requires skilled D-line and effective blitzes to run how its designed/intended. This year our front line didn't get the pressure needed, and most of the time we didn't hit home on our blitzes; causing our CB to get burned and left out on an island alone.

(better CB play always helps, but D-Line and blitzes didn't help much)

With that said I think as a DC you should adjust the system to the skills of your players and not try to force fit them into your system. I feel like Ref will have his players he needs next year thou. We have some redshirt players and individuals that didn't play much this year that I feel will step up next year. #ButI'mNotACoach #IBelieveInRef

• Upvote 4

The offense turned the ball over 4 times inside their own 30 yard line, twice inside their own 15.  Even with Jenkins' struggles, the offense (or lack thereof) was a big reason for the hole we found ourselves in.

The defense was not good, but the offense did not do the defense any favors on Saturday.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

The offense turned the ball over 4 times inside their own 30 yard line, twice inside their own 15.  Even with Jenkins' struggles, the offense (or lack thereof) was a big reason for the hole we found ourselves in.

The defense was not good, but the offense did not do the defense any favors on Saturday.

Theme for our losses this year? Question no answer.  FIRE THE DC!!! 

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2017 at 5:22 PM, Moobs said:

I remember that when SL got hired someone asked him about defense. His response was something like this...  I’ll hire someone whose defense scares me to go up against.  And then we hired Ek.  I miss Ek.  Like, a lot.

Certainly, our current defense doesn’t even come close to intimidating SL. It doesn’t intimidate anyone in the FBS. Ref needs to go, and soon!

He actually said that about Reff's 3-3 scheme from the Rocky Long tree, not about Ekeler.

Ek got his players excited to play. To some degree, Mac did the same on D. No one on this staff has the energy that those two did. I would love to see SL add an element to his coaching tool box and light up on a referee for one of those pass interference calls or lack there of. I'd love to see SL be chest bumping players for a great series or stop. Hell get a position coach that will do it for the players. Refs need to be lit up time to time for blatant calls. 

3 minutes ago, greeneagle1 said:

Ek got his players excited to play. To some degree, Mac did the same on D. No one on this staff has the energy that those two did. I would love to see SL add an element to his coaching tool box and light up on a referee for one of those pass interference calls or lack there of. I'd love to see SL be chest bumping players for a great series or stop. Hell get a position coach that will do it for the players. Refs need to be lit up time to time for blatant calls. 

That's not Littrell's attitude.

He preaches to his guys to not get too high or too low.   He's living that out.

I agree about Ekeler pumping his guys up.  Having guys like that on the staff is a good thing.

On 12/19/2017 at 8:56 PM, greenminer said:

I'm alright with one more year of Ref.  I want to see how things shape up with English getting PT.

English doesn't cover receivers. Nor does he play linebacker. And his specialty will not be sacking the QB. 

After watching the D, like really watching it, I have no idea to speak of how anyone with a forward thinking brain could possibly be OK with another year of Reffet. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 8

9 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

English doesn't cover receivers. Nor does he play linebacker. And his specialty will not be sacking the QB. 

After watching the D, like really watching it, I have no idea to speak of how anyone with a forward thinking brain could possibly be OK with another year of Reffet. 

He’s a DT, right? If he’s as good as some people think he is, he can help others pressure the QB, which is tied to everything else. My understanding is the NT is one of the most critical pieces of our scheme.

Its definitely a risk. I would understand getting rid of Ref, too.

10 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

But honestly wtf do you know about the defense scheme? And be honest with yourself. You don’t know a damn thing about it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 4

10 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

It all comes down to whether or not you think Reffet has lost his ability to coordinate a defense or was this more a matter of personnel?  If you think he should have done better with the players he had AND you think you can find someone better, then you make a change.  If not, then you lay it out for him and provide clear direction where you expect to see improvement along with how he will be measured.  It's basic management skills.  Littrell needs to step up and show that he can effectively manage all three aspects of the game and not just offense.

• Upvote 1

Ben is right.

This defense gave up 38 or more points to SEVEN G5 OPPONENTS this year.

Let that sink in. At any other FBS program, Reffert would be given his walking papers. And he knows it. Good thing he works for the one whose fan base has zero standards, eh? 

This is Dodgeball with a really good QB. This is a gimmick defense that isn’t working. This is primed for a major step backwards unless defensive line play has a massive level of improvement.

And to the poster who actually believes the redshirts will be better than the current DL: IF THEY WERE THEY WOULD HAVE PLAYED THIS YEAR! 

Good Lord. Dumbest fanbase in America.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 6

Again do I like the 3-3-5? Not for my philosophy, but that’s the scheme we run. You as a fan know very little about defensive philosophy, personnel, or honestly anything. I do know we have a chance at finding 3 DL rather than 4. Looks to me like we have some solid defensive recruits coming in. To me our defense looked more outmatched than a scheme issue. 

Edited by unt_rocket09
  • Upvote 1

I don't know what the objective of the scheme is, but I think for the most part you try to turn ball carriers to the middle of the field, where more defenders can be in on the play. I saw guys in position to make plays and taking bad angles and not trusting other people on the defense to make a tackle. Our second line let guys get outside instead of turning them back to the middle of the field where the help was. When guys don't do their job or make plays, coaches get and take blame. When things go well, players get praised for doing their job. If anything, I see coaching issues, or recruiting issues, or players taking coaching issues.

• Upvote 1