Seth litrell

mgfan

21 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I believe they did a tremendous job getting this very young team to win as many games as they did this year.  The key is the same as any staff ... can they recruit well enough to keep improving the talent.  

If thats the key, then I am scared. On offense they maybe can,  but I am yet to see any sign that they are willing to put in the necessary resources (ships paying a coach who is  a great defense recruiter rather than a primary on the field guy) to get the right results.

How many underclassmen have had a decent season on defense? Not many have shown the kind of talent that makes you go: that guy is likely to be the future anchor of UNTs defense.

3 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Yeah, I hope we do throw some more money at this and can get some improvements on the defensive side.

I hear your argument, but I'm not sure money can solve our problem when other teams just line up and physically beat our asses. They had us in size and aggressiveness...bordering on chippy. I used to hate the whining about recruitment but I may become a whiner real soon. Coaches can only coach so much, they can't suit up.

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The question is who is left out there for us to bring in? And who are the coaches that will be gone similar to the rash of departures we offered last year..

Considering we are going to be in shootouts with the offense we run, the DC needs to be able to coach and identify secondary personnel.  Ref is horrible.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year, but when he guarded Sutton one on one again, i knew he knew nothing about the secondary.  

6 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Yeah, I hope we do throw some more money at this and can get some improvements on the defensive side.

SL has shown he can find diamonds on the staff and in recruiting.. if NS/WB/admin and donors want to take the next step it’s time to go hire some good proven coaches. 

If we want to be taken serious, hire some P5 bounce back guys or up and coming guys even if they are here for 1 or 2 years.. This is when recruiting needs to take off and this is a time the admin and donors need to take advantage of.. Do not wait till next year, it’s. 9 win season that has impressed a vast # of fans.. Monday they need to start hitting the ground running focusing on the positives and strides made and find “fixes” for the problems like at DC..

6 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Winning costs money, and if the school wants to show commitment and progress something needs to be done.. UNT needs to do something to change the outlook of the offseason following the last 2 beat downs we have suffered.. 

Not disagreeing, but where are proposing that kind of money come from?  I'll kick in $100 per year, if you get the other $49,900.

• Haha 3

Just now, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Not disagreeing, but where are proposing that kind of money come from?  I'll kick in $100 per year, if you get the other $49,900.

Already wrote them a fat check to the school and AD office before the season to work for free for them to get a piece of paper.. It’s time for those big time donors to add on 1 or 2 more zeros and for the AD office to improve on that .03% of Alumni donation rate..

Plenty of people on here donated to help students go to NO for $60 bucks, and it was said about half went.. time for the AD office to tap into untouched markets and increase that .03% to .05 or higher..

• Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't think we're in a position to do that.  We'd probably need to add another $50k to our D.C.'s salary to even have a shot.

If SL and WB are worried about finding an additional 50k maybe they should invest their bonuses that totaled more than $50k as well..

Numbers maybe off but SL got 10k for the bowl/championship, WB got another 20k for Vball/Soccer success and another 20k that was pending us accepting the bowl bid.. Vito had an article about it during the season (believe around the UTEP  game).

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

If SL and WB are worried about finding an additional 50k maybe they should invest their bonuses that totaled more than $50k as well..

Numbers maybe off but SL got 10k for the bowl/championship, WB got another 20k for Vball/Soccer success and another 20k that was pending us accepting the bowl bid.. Vito had an article about it during the season (believe around the UTEP  game).

So you get the D.C. you want and run off the A.D. and H.C. in the process?  Why not ask the new D.C. to kick in $20k while you're at it?

8 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

SL has shown he can find diamonds on the staff and in recruiting.. if NS/WB/admin and donors want to take the next step it’s time to go hire some good proven coaches. 

I may need some examples.  I want to believe you, but maybe i need to be refreshed. 

The upgrade from McNulty to Fine was HUGE.  Gotta give Litrell props on that. That's all I really see. 

Mac was capable of finding some diamonds...Mac did a pretty good job with staff and replacing coaches other than the last DC.  So are we just the offensive version of Old Denton?  Are we a Mason Fine injury away from being trash again?

Dang.  It really sucks that we’re only a “6-6 team that lucked into 9 wins”.   I guess we should all put our expectations back in perspective & only look forward to finishing back where we belong at 5-7 wins next season.  Unless we can parlay our “luck” into another 9 wins next year?  ...nah, probably not.  If I’ve learned anything over the past 17 years of watching Mean Green football, it’s that we’re not that “lucky”

Thank you Troy for pants-ing our team & fanbase & letting everyone see us for what we are... “lucky”.

/sarcasm

Dare any of y’all to say any of that to Littrell’s face.  So myopic.  This was a fantastic season.

Truth:  We got handled by a top 25 team in-disguise as a ‘lowly’ SBC champ.  For those of you who beat the drum of “nothing to gainin this game, you/we were absolutely right.  We win, “oh wow, you beat Troy, big deal” (when, in fact, it would be a big deal).  We lose, “you lost to a SBC school?  Must have been ‘lucky’ to get to 9 wins.”

...Finally, If SoMiss beats FLSt...  so help me... my head will explode & GMG.com will be covered in splatter.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

I may need some examples.  I want to believe you, but maybe i need to be refreshed. 

The upgrade from McNulty to Fine was HUGE.  Gotta give Litrell props on that. That's all I really see. 

Mac was capable of finding some diamonds...Mac did a pretty good job with staff and replacing coaches other than the last DC.  So are we just the offensive version of Old Denton?  Are we a Mason Fine injury away from being trash again?

Taking GH from a QB coach that never called plays at WSU to a top 20 offense is a diamond in the rough in terms of coaching findings in 2 years.. 

Recruiting diamonds are Lawrence, Fine, Evan Johnson, Khari among others..  

15 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

So you get the D.C. you want and run off the A.D. and H.C. in the process?  Why not ask the new D.C. to kick in $20k while you're at it?

How is it running them off? You made up a figure of us needing another 50k and I give you an example of how/where it could come from.. 

If improving the defense meant WB/SL were in a better position this time next year they should they should fork over the money themselves because it only makes them look better leading to them getting new contracts again.. an extra 25k from them today could be an extra 50-100k in bonuses next year..

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

So this was a 6-6 team that ended up with 9 wins.  Do they call that coaching?

Very much so...Littrell and staff won those close games. He deserves all the credit.

But it is also the easiest collection of teams we have scheduled as a D-1A/FBS program since 1995.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

We were a 6-6 team that lucked out and won 9 games.

We won't win as many of those close games next year if that's who we are. Time will tell but like the we've seen with the Raiders and the Cowboys from last year to this year, the law of averages will take over. That is, unless we get a drastic make over on our o and d lines.

25 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

So this was a 6-6 team that ended up with 9 wins.  Do they call that coaching?

Is Jason Garrett a great coach? Or does the ball just bounce your way sometimes. Past 2 seasons we've seen it catch up to the Texas Rangers, Oakland Raiders, and Dallas Cowboys. We'll find out next year if UNT was a good team that performed poorly more often than not or if they over achieved and won more close games than is common.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

It’s called luck.. 1 miracle play vs UTSA.. 1 miracle KR vs UAB, a missed FG by LT, besting Army as well.. 

How many close games went against UNT? None because the bad games were blowouts

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.  Plays had to be made and the team made them.  Give the team/coaches credit. The blow outs should also be addressed, but no need to trash on the wins.  They were earned... Even if only by a play, or two. 

Edited by Felozano
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I certainly did not agree with all of the coaching decisions made today, and certain assistant coaches need a tough assessment, but getting this team to 9 wins this year was overachieving.

Yup. At least a year ahead of schedule. Lost to a senior-heavy team today. Two more years of Fine, a lot of these skill players, and to get better across the board. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Troy is in the top 30 and we are in the 50s. The score about reflects that. It was an unfortunate matchup. Overall I still think CUSA is a better conference. I am much happier in the 50s than the 100s. I thank Coach Littrell for that. 

Not sure we are in the 50s.. 

• Downvote 1