Offensive Line Play

TheFlyingWorm

Bump. 

The atrocious play calling vs TROY was far and away inferior to our OL play. They did nothing offensively in the way of play calling to limit an aggressive front 7. Our OC kept calling the same or close to the same passing tree plays and their front 7 just kept their ears pinned back. It was downright pitiful how inept and blatantly incompetent the offensive staff was in that game. You got a problem with the beating Fine took, take it up with that side of the ball staff. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Bump. 

The atrocious play calling vs TROY was far and away inferior to our OL play. They did nothing offensively in the way of play calling to limit an aggressive front 7. Our OC kept calling the same or close to the same passing tree plays and their front 7 just kept their ears pinned back. It was downright pitiful how inept and blatantly incompetent the offensive staff was in that game. You got a problem with the beating Fine took, take it up with that side of the ball staff. 

You’re comical to read.  You have any idea what our rushing stats for that game looked like? Even without Fine’s sacks... in the first half we had 13 rushes for 11 yards not sure what sack totals did to that.   We could not run the ball vs them.  Our ONLY chance was to try and throw it all over them.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

You’re comical to read.  You have any idea what our rushing stats for that game looked like? Even without Fine’s sacks... in the first half we had 13 rushes for 11 yards not sure what sack totals did to that.   We could not run the ball vs them.  Our ONLY chance was to try and throw it all over them.  

Running the ball with success would have been ideal, but not the only way to alleviate that rush. Running what would  be 3 or 5 step drop route combos if under center over and over and over with no avail to the point of 0 success and a calloused QB is illogical and showed blatant lack of preparation and 0 skill in adjusting to the flow of a game. BUT you along with many others will defend, defend, defend. 

22 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Running what would  be 3 or 5 step drop route combos if under center over and over and over with no avail to the point of 0 success and a calloused QB is illogical and showed blatant lack of preparation and 0 skill in adjusting to the flow of a game. 

Having plays with the expectation that our line would block for more than 3 seconds was irresponsible. In FAU'S bowl game many of their pass plays were 3 second reads or less. 

Who cares about how they looked in practice.  Fine is mobile enough to move him around and not be a sitting duck back there.  And where were the short routes/safety valves?

3 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Having plays with the expectation that our line would block for more than 3 seconds was irresponsible. In FAU'S bowl game many of their pass plays were 3 second reads or less. 

Who cares about how they looked in practice.  Fine is mobile enough to move him around and not be a sitting duck back there.  And where were the short routes/safety valves?

You're making too much sense. You better halt that common football knowledge and get in line to blindly follow. That's what we do around here.  

• Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Running the ball with success would have been ideal, but not the only way to alleviate that rush. Running what would  be 3 or 5 step drop route combos if under center over and over and over with no avail to the point of 0 success and a calloused QB is illogical and showed blatant lack of preparation and 0 skill in adjusting to the flow of a game. BUT you along with many others will defend, defend, defend. 

Lol just like you typically like to do.  I make a legitimate point and you come back spewing some crazy talk.  I never said how we had to throw it, simply we had to throw the ball all over them to have any chance.  I didn't agree with all the calls we made, but guyton and smiley got behind their safeties multiple times, but Fine was running for his life and didn't see them or went to a shorter throw in the process.  

Shouldnt surprise me, but so funny how some on this board (no one in particular) can consistently be so unhappy about anything.  We aren't winning, blah blah UNT sheep fans, we aren't winning blah blah UNT admin hates athletics.  We start winning and go to a bowl, we shouldn't have to play Army twice wa wa. We win again and have a shot at a 10 win season and got beat twice by a team who 80% of their rOuster is better than ours, and we got beat by Troy WHO BEAT LSU IN LSU fire the OC fire the D.C. Can everything and start over.  Good gravy y'all step away and enjoy UNT winning football again.  

Next year we will have 9 wins again heading into conference championship game at Apogee, there's my prediction.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2017 at 8:48 AM, BTG_Fan1 said:

They exposed the hell out of Murray and Mayfield for 1.. 

Or Jeff Wilson and the lack thereof really hampered run game, thus putting more pressure on backs to help in pass pro and they weren't as good as Jeff at doing that? 

5 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Lol just like you typically like to do.  I make a legitimate point and you come back spewing some crazy talk.  I never said how we had to throw it, simply we had to throw the ball all over them to have any chance.  I didn't agree with all the calls we made, but guyton and smiley got behind their safeties multiple times, but Fine was running for his life and didn't see them or went to a shorter throw in the process.  

Shouldnt surprise me, but so funny how some on this board (no one in particular) can consistently be so unhappy about anything.  We aren't winning, blah blah UNT sheep fans, we aren't winning blah blah UNT admin hates athletics.  We start winning and go to a bowl, we shouldn't have to play Army twice wa wa. We win again and have a shot at a 10 win season and got beat twice by a team who 80% of their rOuster is better than ours, and we got beat by Troy WHO BEAT LSU IN LSU fire the OC fire the D.C. Can everything and start over.  Good gravy y'all step away and enjoy UNT winning football again.  

Next year we will have 9 wins again heading into conference championship game at Apogee, there's my prediction.

Not concerned about what other teams did or didn't do, I'm concerned about UNT. No one, at least I am not asking for any personnel changes on offense. We struggled to score and even maintain drives with even consistency vs the decent defenses. But there is no doubt that side of the ball is making significant strides. Though situational offense and IN game adjustments would be a refreshing change. 

My concern is defense. In 9 or 10 of our games we allowed team's to either score their season high or have their second highest output of points on the season. And there have been 0 changes on that side of the ball. If we the fans are content with that then I can't say that would be surprising. If he gets another year, that definitely will not be surprising. It would be the status quo for UNT. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not concerned about what other teams did or didn't do, I'm concerned about UNT. No one, at least I am not asking for any personnel changes on offense. We struggled to score and even maintain drives with even consistency vs the decent defenses. But there is no doubt that side of the ball is making significant strides. Though situational offense and IN game adjustments would be a refreshing change. 

My concern is defense. In 9 or 10 of our games we allowed team's to either score their season high or have their second highest output of points on the season. And there have been 0 changes on that side of the ball. If we the fans are content with that then I can't say that would be surprising. If he gets another year, that definitely will not be surprising. It would be the status quo for UNT. 

Question, no info.  In those games how many possessions did they have compared to the other games?  What was our offensive output those games, as far as possessions, drives, etc.  Those things are all inter-related.  How many TO's did offense have?  In this type of explosive offensive system your defense is going to be exposed to more possessions from the other team, yielding more opportunities for points.  Not an excuse because our corner play may be the worst I've seen since following UNT.  Embarassing is an understatement.  I believe we will see changes, just not sure what those will be.  We had a kid starting at MLB who played D2 ball last year.  

I still believe in game adjustments is one of the weaknesses of this staff. Maybe that comes with more experience. What sums up the offensive play calling in this game is, goal line and we run Fine off tackle. I really think Fine may have saved Graham's job this year! Ref had a few weeks to game plan FAU, but I don't know how you game plan 3 turnovers on your end of the field.

On 12/26/2017 at 1:29 AM, UNTLifer said:

Well aware.  What is his issue?  He was a highly rated recruit with multiple offers.  Really curious if he will contribute next year.

Barr couldn’t handle the speed of the games. Couldn’t call blitzes nor pick up stunts. And couldn’t learn plays. He’s an athlete with a lineman’s build, but up top can’t handle it 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TheFlyingWorm said:

Barr couldn’t handle the speed of the games. Couldn’t call blitzes nor pick up stunts. And couldn’t learn plays. He’s an athlete with a lineman’s build, but up top can’t handle it 

2017:
• Appeared in 12 games, four of which were starts
• Made season debut with a start at center vs. Lamar on 9/2

2016:
• Made six starts for the Mean Green, all at center, and appeared in nine games total, including the Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl on 12/27
• Made his season debut and started at center on 9/3 vs. SMU

i don't think speed of the game was in issue for him. The others maybe, but he handled his own in that regard.  

On 12/26/2017 at 12:15 PM, GMG24 said:

Question, no info.  In those games how many possessions did they have compared to the other games?  What was our offensive output those games, as far as possessions, drives, etc.  Those things are all inter-related.  How many TO's did offense have?  In this type of explosive offensive system your defense is going to be exposed to more possessions from the other team, yielding more opportunities for points.  Not an excuse because our corner play may be the worst I've seen since following UNT.  Embarassing is an understatement.  I believe we will see changes, just not sure what those will be.  We had a kid starting at MLB who played D2 ball last year.  

...as a safety

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Well that D2 safety turned MLB was allowed to play instead of playing someone like Fulp..

Sooo if the problem was McDonald, why not play Fulp?? We wasted Sanders, Davis, Johnson, Novil, among others FR years playing very little.. 

With what seemed to be pretty sub par LB play, it was definitely a little concerning that Fulp was not able to find his way onto the field.